Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guns for Multi-Armed Characters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
Two questions:

• First, I've seen people say a number of times that using multiple smartlinks in the same combat turn is against RAW. Could I get a citation?
  • Second, assuming this is the case, what's the best loadout for such a character? Six arms, ambidextrous for the upper 4, SMG's for the upper 4 and grenade launchers for the lower 2. The upper 4 arms have replaced lower arms with cyberarm gyromounts. I'm abusing the "dice pool boni don't get split" rule with adept powers and specialization.
Dragnar
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 24 2008, 11:49 AM) *
[*]First, I've seen people say a number of times that using multiple smartlinks in the same combat turn is against RAW. Could I get a citation?

It's right there on page 141 where it talks about using multiple weapons in the same action: "Two-gun attacks also negate any dice
pool bonuses from smartlinks or laser sights."
Tyro
QUOTE (Dragnar @ Dec 24 2008, 03:41 AM) *
It's right there on page 141 where it talks about using multiple weapons in the same action: "Two-gun attacks also negate any dice

I don't know how I missed that. Thank you. Anyone have any input as to the best guns to use for ambidextrous persons (2, 4, or 6-armed varieties)?
Dragnar
Anything that spits out as much bullets as possible without incurring any recoil penalties. You'll have a smaller dicepool than regular shooters, so the wide bursts become more important, but as all uncompensated recoil applies to all weapons, even a single point will kill most advantages of using multiple weapons in the first place.
Apart from that it's the same deal as if you're just using a single gun.
Tyro
What's the justification for eliminating smartlink and laser-sight boni, anyway?
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 24 2008, 07:07 AM) *
What's the justification for eliminating smartlink and laser-sight boni, anyway?

Real life answer: Game balance.

In game justification: I would imagine something along the lines of a character not being able to properly focus on two different targeting dots at the same time.
Tyro
If anyone's curious, my solution to the "which gun" problem so far is an FN P93 Praetor with Electronic Firing (0 capacity, as it's an optional factory addition), Gas Vent 3, Powered Folding Stock, Underbarrel Weight, and Chameleon Coating. This takes us 1 point over capacity, but I really don't think Chameleon Coating should take 2 Capacity slots. All you're adding to the inside of the gun is support circuitry for the cameras so the expert system can modulate the paint color. Or you could just rip out the flashlight with GM permission to get the point you need.

Total recoil comp is 1 (chamber design) + 1 (electronic firing) + 3 (gas vent 3) + 1 (powered folding stock) +1 (underbarrel weight) = SEVEN. I don't believe I've violated any rules in combining these. Add 3 from cyberarm gyromounts and never worry about recoil again. It still has room for a barrel-mounted sound suppressor (though you won't be able to use your gas-vent at the same time).

It can't mount underbarrel accessories, but that's the only major disadvantage I see. Thoughts? I would especially like to know if I made a mistake somewhere, or if there's a better option somewhere.

[Edit]: Post 200! smokin.gif
Jackstand
I don't think that it says it anywhere explicitly, but a folding stock gives recoil compensation because it allows you to brace the weapon against your shoulder, which just isn't something that you can really do, firing it with one hand. It doesn't give you compensation just for being there.

On the other hand:

QUOTE (Dragnar @ Dec 24 2008, 07:41 AM) *

That doesn't say anything about six-gun attacks. nyahnyah.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 24 2008, 02:46 PM) *
If anyone's curious, my solution to the "which gun" problem so far is an FN P93 Praetor with Electronic Firing (0 capacity, as it's an optional factory addition), Gas Vent 3, Powered Folding Stock, Underbarrel Weight, and Chameleon Coating.

I thought that Praetor allready came whit an intergated stock.
Cain
My suggestion is this: Don't split your dice pool evenly. Use minimal dice on the first three shots, then pump up one big burst. Use wide bursts on the first few shots, then use a narrow burst with EX for the final one. The first three will wear down the opponents defense pool, possibly hitting him with base damage; the last shot should finish him off.
Medicineman
...oO( I'll use this Thread as an argument against anyone who's against my Nartaki-Ki-Adept)

Hough !
Medicineman
Tyro
QUOTE (Jackstand @ Dec 24 2008, 07:01 AM) *
I don't think that it says it anywhere explicitly, but a folding stock gives recoil compensation because it allows you to brace the weapon against your shoulder, which just isn't something that you can really do, firing it with one hand. It doesn't give you compensation just for being there.
<snip>

These aren't rifles, they're submachine guns. If the length of the stock is right, you can brace it against the shoulder of the arm you're holding it with.

QUOTE (Mäx @ Dec 24 2008, 07:07 AM) *
I thought that Praetor allready came whit an intergated stock.

I switched it out for a powered stock, which deploys faster (Free Action instead of Simple). Good if you want to conceal your guns, but don't want to spend more precious actions than necessary getting them ready. You could just use a rigid stock if you don't care about your guns being seen (if you're in the Redmond Barrens, for example, or Caracas). Of course, in the latter case a powered stock is still better, since you can still fold them up if you need them concealed and just leave them unfolded when you don't.
Mäx
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 25 2008, 10:32 PM) *
I switched it out for a powered stock, which deploys faster (Free Action instead of Simple). Good if you want to conceal your guns, but don't want to spend more precious actions than necessary getting them ready. You could just use a rigid stock if you don't care about your guns being seen (if you're in the Redmond Barrens, for example, or Caracas). Of course, in the latter case a powered stock is still better, since you can still fold them up if you need them concealed and just leave them unfolded when you don't.

I think that praetors stock is rigid not folding, as it only says "integrated stock" not "integral folding stock" as most of the other guns. Also the picture makes it look like a rigid stock and thats what it should have as newest version of P90
Tyro
QUOTE (Mäx @ Dec 25 2008, 12:56 PM) *
I think that praetors stock is rigid not folding, as it only says "integrated stock" not "integral folding stock" as most of the other guns. Also the picture makes it look like a rigid stock and thats what it should have as newest version of P90

I'm using the weapon customization rules from Arsenal. I ripped out the original stock and replaced it with a powered folding stock, or paid extra for a factory option. However the GM wants to fluff it.
Mäx
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 25 2008, 10:57 PM) *
I'm using the weapon customization rules from Arsenal. I ripped out the original stock and replaced it with a powered folding stock, or paid extra for a factory option. However the GM wants to fluff it.

I understand what you did, it's just that with that particular gun it doesn't make much sense to me, a rigid tock is pretty integral part of the that weapon and i just can't see how the powered foldimg stock would work as there isn't really much space for the stock to fold into.
Tyro
QUOTE (Mäx @ Dec 25 2008, 01:11 PM) *
I understand what you did, it's just that with that particular gun it doesn't make much sense to me, a rigid tock is pretty integral part of the that weapon and i just can't see how the powered foldimg stock would work as there isn't really much space for the stock to fold into.

I hadn't looked at the pic before... where's the advantage for folding stock over rigid stock listed? IIRC it's a Concealability mod. Can anyone think of a good way to put a folding stock on this thing? The pic's on Arsenal 25, top of the page.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Tyro @ Dec 24 2008, 01:46 PM) *
If anyone's curious, my solution to the "which gun" problem so far is an FN P93 Praetor with Electronic Firing (0 capacity, as it's an optional factory addition), Gas Vent 3, Powered Folding Stock, Underbarrel Weight, and Chameleon Coating. This takes us 1 point over capacity, but I really don't think Chameleon Coating should take 2 Capacity slots.

Post-errata, at least vehicular Chameleon Coating is reduced to 1 slot.
But even with the 2-Slot-cost, you could have enough room for this (see below).

Total recoil comp is 1 (chamber design) + 1 (electronic firing) + 3 (gas vent 3) + 1 (powered folding stock) +1 (underbarrel weight) = SEVEN. I don't believe I've violated any rules in combining these. Add 3 from cyberarm gyromounts and never worry about recoil again. It still has room for a barrel-mounted sound suppressor (though you won't be able to use your gas-vent at the same time).

It can't mount underbarrel accessories, but that's the only major disadvantage I see. Thoughts? I would especially like to know if I made a mistake somewhere, or if there's a better option somewhere.

[Edit]: Post 200! smokin.gif

Not being able to mount underbarrel accessories should rule out an underbarrel weight, right? grinbig.gif

For additional recoil comp, you might want to take a look at the optional rules for recoil compensation through increased strenght- combined with cyberlimbs, this can be useful.
It's highly doubtful wether increased strenght in partial cyberlimbs only is sufficient for that, however.
Tyro
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Dec 25 2008, 03:10 PM) *
<snip>
Not being able to mount underbarrel accessories should rule out an underbarrel weight, right? grinbig.gif
<snip>

Not the underbarrel-attached one, the custom mod which you build into the gun. It doesn't use up a mount.
Fortune
I wouldn't allow the recoil modifier from a Stock (folding or otherwise) unless the weapon was being used in the proper manner with two hands bracing it against the shoulder.
Tyro
Even without the stock, that's a LOT of RC - esp. if you have high Strength.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012