Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New (?) & Fantastic (?) Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Austere Emancipator
This is linked to the Medieval Fantasy Shadowrun thread in that I do not intent to make these spells available in my 2060s SR game, only in the Forgotten Realms campaign.

Basically, I've been going through all the spell lists available for 3rd Ed D&D and especially the FR sourcebooks for inspiration on new spells. Lots can simply be considered canon SR spells of varying power and special effects, but there's a few types of spells that I though might be fun to add.

First, (Element) Storms. To include everything from Acid through Water, these would be like a domed (Magic radius) Firewall spell or a Sustained area Elemental Manipulations, except they do (Force)L with the respective Elemental effects in the whole of the area. I thought about allowing more powerful versions, but they might be too unbalancing.

The spell design rules would give such a spell only +2(M) Drain, but this seemed too little for what could be some of the most effective combat spells in the game. Thus I changed it to +2(S). I also increased the TN to 6 (standard for Manipulation barriers, although Firewall for some reason has a 4). So it looks like this:
(Element) Storm
Type: P - Target: 6 - Duration: S - Range: LOS(A) - Drain: +2(S)
Causes (Force)L (Element) damage in (Magic) radius area with respective elemental effects every CT for the duration of the spell. The damage is dealt at the end of every CT, after all actions have been declared, just before a new CT begins.

Too powerful? Too weak? Does it fit with the general SR outlook on elemental magic?

Other inspired spells include Iron Bones, a Transformation Manipulation that gives bonuses almost on par with Titanium Bone Lacing. It came out looking like this:
Iron Bones
Type: P - Target: B(V) - Duration: S - Range: T - Drain: +2(L)
+2 Body for Damage Resistance tests and +1 armor vs Bludgeoning attacks (+1 Impact armor).
How might I tie this kind of effect to the Force of the spell? There might be a very complicated table of Effects vs Successes (limited by Force), but that seemed a bit excessive, and no other spell has anything like that.

One more inspired spell type: Health spell that give boosts to recipients. Unlike from the Increase (Whatever) spells, these ought to be Immediate to be better used in combat, or rather weak Sustained Area spells. I know the Area modifier is not available for Health spells under the Spell Design rules, but I figured it wouldn't be too powerful if the effect was limited enough. So far, I haven't included more than one:
Incite Rage
Type: M - Target: 10-E(V) - Duration: I - Range: T - Drain: (S)
Each 2 successes increase the level of the effect by one, maximum number of successes = Force. Each level increases the target's Body and Strength attributes by 1 for Force + 1d6/Level CTs. After the effect has ended, the target crashes for the same duration, with -1 Body, Quickness and Strength, +1 TN to all Quickness-related tests, and cannot run.
Again: Too powerful? Too weak? Is the principle fitting into the SR view of Health magic?

A prototype spell: (Maybe Control Manipulation?)
Morale Boost
Type: M - Target: 4(V) - Duration: S - Range: LOS(A) - Drain: +1(M)
Recipients of the spell gain +1 Willpower and an additional bonus die vs fear effects.
This type of spells might include Extended Area spells of similar weak-ish power, as well as more powerful spells in general: Battlefervor? (I need help with names for these spells...)

If anyone has got good spells, please share. I am personally more interested in more fantasy-type magic, and not of the more technological type of magic that is fun to add to the canon Shadowrun world, but I doubt this thread will see much of the first type so feel free to add anything you've got.
Reaver
I do like the Iron Bones idea. I made an Adrenal Rush spell to mimic the effects of an adrenal pump.

Morale boost seems kind of useless when you could just use attribute boosting. But if the drain is less, it could find some buyers. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
I made the Morale Boost up in 1 minute as I was posting this, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was totally useless. wink.gif The point of it is indeed that it can be used to increase the Willpower of several individuals at once (something Increase Attribute cannot do, because of the single-target restriction of Health spells) at a rather low Drain, but at the same time it is far more limited in use because it can never increase Willpower by more than 1.

I've never been a fan of Adrenaline Pump. When I first thought about including Rage to SR I looked at it, but I decided that the high-Powered Deadly stun crash combined with a huge but extremely short-lived boost isn't very fitting. The Incite Rage spell as above is basically the Rage Edge I've now got for the FR/SR conversion, with Force as a factor in the duration instead of Body.
Reaver
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I made the Morale Boost up in 1 minute as I was posting this, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was totally useless. wink.gif The point of it is indeed that it can be used to increase the Willpower of several individuals at once (something Increase Attribute cannot do, because of the single-target restriction of Health spells) at a rather low Drain, but at the same time it is far more limited in use because it can never increase Willpower by more than 1.

I've never been a fan of Adrenaline Pump. When I first thought about including Rage to SR I looked at it, but I decided that the high-Powered Deadly stun crash combined with a huge but extremely short-lived boost isn't very fitting. The Incite Rage spell as above is basically the Rage Edge I've now got for the FR/SR conversion, with Force as a factor in the duration instead of Body.

I didn't even notice the area of effect for morale boost, my bad. That might actually be worth something after all. Good idea. smile.gif

Nice this about adrenal ruch is that you can at least give someone that in-combat boost. Especially a mage trying to keep away from implants. But I'll agree, not everyone will like its after effects.
Lilt
Iron bones would probably be a health spell. I think that making it a transformation manipulation spell is erring on the side of "Everything's a manipulation spell!".

Make it work like increase body but it's a physical spell that can provide either a body boost or some armor at doubble cost. IE: a force 4 spell could provide a body boost of two and one point of impact armor, or two points of impact armor, or 4 points of body (decided upon when spell is cast).

One spell you could do would be an 'iron body' or 'stone body' type spell. It'd be like a combination of Petrify and Animate. I doubt you could petrify yourself then animate yourself, so a single spell would probably be the solution. Casting would be a reasonably complicated procedure, You would need to meet the threshold of 1/2 body and then apply any dice not used to the (possibly separate?) TN for animate. Drain would be +2(S) (removing the -1 for restricted target (living flesh)) or possibly +2(D) or higher if you want to be nasty and invent a Dual Purpose modifier.

Things become so much more fun once you are allowed to do more than one thing with a spell.

[edit] just realised that you could add the caster only limitation (or some combination of the components) to that spell if you really wanted. Perhaps do that and make the Dual purpse modifier take the drain right back up to a nasty drain level[/edit]
Austere Emancipator
Iron bones would probably be a health spell. I think that making it a transformation manipulation spell is erring on the side of "Everything's a manipulation spell!".

You may be right. Perhaps that calls for a general ruling that any such spell affecting the human physiology is a Health spell. I just made it Transformation Manipulation because of Shapechange and Reinforce. On the other hand, I already got rid of the Shapechange spell (it will only be available as an "Epic level" spell or magical power), and Reinforce is quite different.

Make it work like increase body but it's a physical spell that can provide either a body boost or some armor at doubble cost. IE: a force 4 spell could provide a body boost of two and one point of impact armor, or two points of impact armor, or 4 points of body (decided upon when spell is cast).

That would make it a slightly more powerful version of Increase Body, and I'm not really looking for that kind of effect. Perhaps for some other spell that affects the target's physiology for a positive effect -- Barkskin or something like that? That'd make it +2(M) Drain, probably.

One spell you could do would be an 'iron body' or 'stone body' type spell. It'd be like a combination of Petrify and Animate. I doubt you could petrify yourself then animate yourself. Casting would be a reasonably complicated procedure, You would need to meet the threshold of 1/2 body and then apply any dice not used to the (possibly separate?) TN for animate. Drain would be +2(S) (removing the -1 for restricted target (living flesh)) or possibly +2(D) if you want to be nasty and invent a "Dual Purpose, +1 Drain Level" modifier.

Will certainly be put into consideration for the "Epic level" stuff. Using the standard rules for Magic use and going by the description of the Animate spell, that spell would require a truckload of successes to be truly useful. The Drain would indeed be pretty low, because of the whopping -3 Drain Levels from it being Caster Only.
Snake Oil
These kinds of spells are too D&Dish for my tastes, but the following is how I'd probably go about designing a similar spell if I really had to. I'm not very happy with it, but I think it's a step in the right direction especially if you're going for that D&D feel.

STONESKIN
Transformation Manipulation

Type: Physical
Target Number: 6 (since it includes the creation of a barrier)
Duration: Sustained
Drain Code: +2(D)
Threshold: One-half the target's Body rating.

When cast upon a voluntary target, Stoneskin transforms their flesh into a stone-like material that hardens them against physical injury. The target gains both Ballistic and Impact Armor equal to the rating of the spell and an effective Barrier Rating of twice the spell's rating (alternatively, just give them Immunity to Normal Weapons equal to the Force of the spell). Strength and Body are also increased by the Force of the spell. Unarmed Combat damage is increased to (Strength)S Stun damage. These attacks count as an Elemental (Earth) attack for purposes of defeating Immunity to Normal Weapons. While so transformed, the target temporarily loses the benefits of any implanted armor such as that granted by Dermal Sheathing, Dermal Plating, and Bone Lacing are transformed along with the target.

However, while so transformed, the target moves slowly and clumsily. Lower their effective Quickness (and thus Reaction and Combat Pool) by one-half the Force of the spell and drop their Running Multiplier to x1. The force of the spell also functions as a target number modifier equal to its rating on all Quickness-linked skill tests, including most firearms tests.

Design Notes: Major Physical Change, Physical Spell, Sustained Spell, Affects Initiative, Elemental Effect, Voluntary Target.
Lilt
The question is: What happens to someone if they have their barrier rating reduced by 1? What level of wound is it if a 1/2 meter hole is opened in someone?
Snake Oil
That's the main reason I was suggesting maybe using Immunity to Normal Weapons instead, maybe at twice the Force of the spell would be better (as Immunity at 6 is mostly only useful against weak opponents in melee and Light Pistols).

But the same question comes up with Bone Lacing. They give your bones a Barrier Rating, so what happens when that gets reduced by one?
Austere Emancipator
Snake Oil: That's not actually the direction I want to go with the spells. There are some nice touches there that I may well use if/when I do make a Stoneskin spell for my games, especially the Elemental (Earth) damage. There are a few points in that spell that I find a bit illogical however.

Mainly the Strength increase: If this is to be nothing more than changing the target's skin into stone (or something stone-like, in such a way as to still allow movement), why does it increase Strength? Perhaps call it Strength of Stone. I also think that a Target B(V)(T) is more fitting, because in the current form it looks more like Shape-Change or Self-Petrify than Armor or Physical Barrier. A 6(V)(T) is of course valid too, but I don't think considering that a Barrier is very logical.

I don't think a Barrier Rating should be used on a person for any purpose other than attacking through that person. Any such attacks should damage the person regardless of the Barrier Rating. After all, the stone is still his skin, it has just been transformed. If it gets damaged, the person will have corresponding wounds in his real skin once the spell is dropped. Such wounds won't be severe, and that's what the Armor is there for. Giving Hardened Armor for that might be in order, though in my game I will not do this to keep the spell in the same power level as the rest of them.

But the same question comes up with Bone Lacing. They give your bones a Barrier Rating, so what happens when that gets reduced by one?

If a more detailed answer to this question is to be sought, a new thread for it may be opened. Personally, I'd consider any damage to the Barrier repaired at the same time that the character in questions gets healed of the damage that caused the damage to the Barrier.
Snake Oil
It was just a suggestion for some ideas. I'm not particularly keen on most of the spells mentioned in this thread, myself. It just doesn't fit the flavor of magic in Shadowrun. Incite Rage (though I'd design it as a variation of Foreboding myself) and Morale Boost (which should just be a limited variation of Control Emotions) are the only two that seems to fit in.

While the spell design rules certainly do allow for sustained elemental manipulation spells, the idea of them existing is pretty absurd, especially since the increase in Drain would be minimal (only a +1 to the Power). Iron Bones, if included at all, should be based almost exactly on the benefits given by Titanium Bone Lacing. But that kind of goes against the "you can only affect the entire target, not part of them" rule for magic.
Austere Emancipator
It was just a suggestion for some ideas.

That's okay, I'm feeling far too touchy for my own good today. It was a good suggestion, it did give me a few new ideas.

Incite Rage (though I'd design it as a variation of Foreboding myself)

A directed Illusion is something I thought about with Incite Rage. I went with Health, because it's mostly about pumping up yourself with adrenaline, and is in many ways more of a physical thing than a mental thing. Also, I couldn't think of how an Illusion would make you enraged -- though I'm sure there are plenty of ways, I just didn't want to start thinking about them, when simply using Health spells to make someone's body pump lots of adrenaline and other substances was the easy way out.

For an otherwise canon game, your way might make more sense, because flying into a fit of rage wouldn't (and maybe shouldn't) give any actual bonuses.

Morale Boost (which should just be a limited variation of Control Emotions)

In many ways, it is exactly that. However, Shadowrun does not give any numerical game effects for any such Emotions, and I felt that this needed some. The idea of a tribal shaman casting a spell to make the warriors more ferocious just felt too damn cool to pass up on -- and if it didn't have any numerical effect whatsoever, there'd be little point.

While the spell design rules certainly do allow for sustained elemental manipulation spells, the idea of them existing is pretty absurd, especially since the increase in Drain would be minimal (only a +1 to the Power).

This is why I as the GM am making a few, and intentionally cheating the spell design system to make them balanced and less absurd. (Element) Storm is actually a Transformation Manipulation, not Elemental Manipulation, and more related to Firewall than Fireball. I mentioned the silliness of the small Drain myself, and how it made me give the spell an additional +1 Drain Level.

And if there are Fireballs and Firewalls, I just didn't see why there couldn't be Firestorms.

Iron Bones, if included at all, should be based almost exactly on the benefits given by Titanium Bone Lacing. But that kind of goes against the "you can only affect the entire target, not part of them" rule for magic.

The Iron Bones as I wrote it is in fact based almost exactly on the benefits given by Titanium Bone Lacing, with the exception of the (Str+4)M Stun unarmed damage code (which I didn't really agree on in the first place, and makes even less sense because the spell doesn't increase weight, unlike Lacing) and Ballistic armor (which doesn't exist in my medieval game, but could indeed be given in an otherwise canon game).

There are quite a few spells that already go against "you can only affect the entire target, not part of them" -- Cripple Limb for example, and the Physical-type Night Vision and spells like Oxygenate might be considered to break it too. And, in my mind, spells like Shapechange are far weirder than the concept of a spell only affecting your bones.
Zazen
Have you considered some summoning spells? Spells that summoned rats, snakes, pigeons, and other mundane vermin were pretty popular when I was playing fantasy stuff.

Some limited-target Animate spells would be cool for people who want snake staffs, talking swords, living trees, rope-charming, and that sort of thing. Even better would be to do away with general Animate entirely and make them all limited-target.
Austere Emancipator
Some limited-target Animate spells would be cool for people who want snake staffs, talking swords, living trees, rope-charming, and that sort of thing.

Right after I started this thread, I added a few other spells. One was Animate Rope. smile.gif I thought about other Very Restricted Target Animates as well, and living trees was one of those ideas. I figured something like a full-blow ent-like effect would require something bigger than an Animate spell (maybe a metamagic on its own), but just a walking tree would be OK -- making a really big tree walk would have a very high TN anyway.

Good call on the snake staves. Got to add that right away.

I think I'll pass on the summoning spells. I just can't figure out how the hell they're supposed to work. The only real explanation for something like that would be teleportation, and that doesn't work in SR -- and I don't want it to work in my FR either. A Restricted illusion like that might be fun though, an easy tool for panicking people for the druid-ish types.

Other spells I already added include:
Paralyze (Health)
Type: M - Target: B(T) - Duration: S - Range: T - Drain: +1(D)
Treshold: ½Body. Gives the target a virtual Deadly Stun wound for the duration of the spell. If this would normally cause the target to lose consciousness, the target is instead paralyzed for the duration (cannot use any muscles other than internal organs).

Haste (Telekinetic Manipulation)
Type: P - Target: 4(V) - Duration: S - Range: T - Drain: (L)
Increases target's Quickness for calculating movement speed by 1 per success, up to a number of successes equal to the Force of the spell.
(With Mass and Self Only versions for +2(S) and -2(L) Drain, respectively)

Whack (Telekinetic Manipulation) [Someone please help me rename this...]
Type: P - Target: 4(RC) - Duration: I - Range: LOS(A) - Drain: (DL+1)
Area-effect Clout.
Zazen
I think I'll pass on the summoning spells. I just can't figure out how the hell they're supposed to work. The only real explanation for something like that would be teleportation, and that doesn't work in SR -- and I don't want it to work in my FR either. A Restricted illusion like that might be fun though, an easy tool for panicking people for the druid-ish types.

Well the simplest explanation is that it just creates them like Create Food. Animals that are "summoned" in fantasy games always seem to show up out of thin air anyway. Saying that the vermin are short-lived might make it easier to swallow, too.

Buffet? Pummel?
Austere Emancipator
Well the simplest explanation is that it just creates them like Create Food. Animals that are "summoned" in fantasy games always seem to show up out of thin air anyway. Saying that the vermin are short-lived might make it easier to swallow, too.

That does make sense, in a way. That wouldn't make them actual live animals, but more like biological robots. It might work... had I not removed Create Food from the spell list as well. nyahnyah.gif
Zazen
It might work... had I not removed Create Food from the spell list as well. nyahnyah.gif

Well... damn. What if they're elemental manipulations, then? I imagine that gopherball, pigeonbolt, etc. could get pretty popular too smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
For those of you who have no qualms about magic creating lots of matter:
Swarm (Transformation Manipulation)
Type: P - Target: 4 - Duration: P - Range: LOS - Drain: +1(D)
Creates a swarm of insect-like critters that move as one and display a limited, almost animal-level reactions to certain stimuli. The number of successes of the spell, up to Force, determines the rating (size and strength) of the swarm. When idle, the Swarm simply lays still, covering (rating) square meters. When any creature or object comes within a meter of the swarm, it takes to the air and descends upon the interloper, biting and stinging any surface. If this does not damage the surface in any way (stone, metal, etc), the swarm stops on its own after a few minutes.

This attack causes (Force)L damage per Combat Turn within the swarm. It cannot be Dodged or Deflected or otherwise defended against, although Combat Pool can be used in Damage Resistance tests against it. Impact armor protects against it, although the swarm can bypass one point of armor per CT. For example, against a character with 3 points of Impact armor, a Force 6 Swarm would cause 3L damage in the first CT, 4L in the second, 5L in the third and 6L in the fourth and every consecutive CT. This is not an attack by the swarm, it does not roll any attack dice, and cannot thus be staged up.

If the interloper tries to move out of the swarm, the swarm follows at its maximum movement rate. If there are several interlopers, and they move away from each other, the swarm follows either the largest interloper or group of interlopers, or one at random if there are 2 or more interlopers of equal size. Single-target attacks, such as bullets, sword blows, arrows, powerbolts, etc, do not damage the swarm unless they are extremely large in volume (such as a minigun firing suppressive fire with incendiary rounds into the swarm). By GM discretion, such attacks might reduce the rating of the swarm by 1 for every Deadly wound. Area spells damage the swarm as normal.

Swarm
B:R Q:F/x2 S:R C:- I:-/1 W:F R:R CP:N/A Init: R+1d6
(R = Rating, the number of successes on the spell, up to Force)
Lilt
Type: P - Target: 4(RC) - Duration: I - Range: LOS(A) - Drain: (DL+1)
Area-effect Clout.

Demolish?

As-for summoning spells: All of the summoning people dd on DND seems to be from other planes so the standard conjuring rules seem appropriate. You could possibly allow some form of beastmaster shaman-type who summons animals instead of the standard nature spirits...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lilt)
As-for summoning spells: All of the summoning people dd on DND seems to be from other planes so the standard conjuring rules seem appropriate.

That's true, and if I end up with a D&D-like perspective on the planes of existance, then there really is nothing to stop many D&D-like Summoning spells from existing. Summoning an actual, "prime material" animal would still be a bit hard to accomplish, except in the literal sense of summoning.

The less abstract look on planes that D&D has brings a bunch of problems into an SR world, however. For one thing, it really doesn't fit into SR that you could Astrally Project, and then manifest in another plane with all your gear. And then there's the time limit on projection, from Essence. For planehopping to be common, there would need to be some way to stop the body from dying. I suppose allowing near-endless Astral Projection wouldn't be too unbalancing... Will have to look into that.

If there were physical, sentient critters running around in the different planes, then the Summon spells of D&D could certainly be considered normal Conjuring. Just instead of a pillar of flame, you might get a hell hound or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012