Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creative ammo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marduc
I had a nasty thought. What if you take the hollow bullets a-la paintball and fill them with laes. Granted they are expensive, but if you hit anyone, they fall immediately uncontious and lose their memory of the last couple of hours. Great for holtout ammo...
Digital Heroin
Capsul Rounds, Arsenel. They're essentially paintball rounds that can be used to deliver chemicals. What's the vector on Laes? I'm away from my books, but if it's Contact, then it's fair game...
Mäx
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Dec 30 2008, 07:30 PM) *
What's the vector on Laes? I'm away from my books, but if it's Contact, then it's fair game...

It's not, but thats not a problem if you mix it with DMSO.
Pendaric
I have one inventive player with a sadistic streak, mildly larger than my other PC's, that is thinking of putting bullet ant poison in his capsul ammo. This is the worst sting in the world sting scale and feels like you have been shot, hence the name of the little ant.

The cocktail of drugs for anti mage rounds is similiarly amusing for cruel and unusual antics.
Mäx
Capsule rounds are probably best used for burst fire with alternating rounds containing multiple different compounds, as according to Ghost Cartels compounds do damage seperately love.gif
Pendaric
I believe ammo cocktail clips were verboten, due to the abstract nature of the rules? Or we would have the classic, flechette, normal, AP burst fire as standard.
HentaiZonga
Or you could get a Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle, hollow out one of the shells, and fill it full of genetically engineered wasps that inject the poison when they sting people...
Morrigana
What about rounds designed to deliver HMHVV to the target? Instant anti-hunter weapon for vampires.
The Jake
I was always partial to grenades loaded with either nasty chemicals like Ymir or nanotech like Shrikes or Surtr.

- J.
Beetle
QUOTE (Morrigana @ Dec 30 2008, 07:14 PM) *
What about rounds designed to deliver HMHVV to the target? Instant anti-hunter weapon for vampires.

Are you fraggin' serious?

Don't forget the whole essence drain being necessary for the transformation...
Starmage21
QUOTE (Beetle @ Dec 30 2008, 10:45 PM) *
Are you fraggin' serious?

Don't forget the whole essence drain being necessary for the transformation...

Not for kreiger strain bwahahahahaha ((ghouls))
Beetle
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Dec 31 2008, 08:48 AM) *
Not for kreiger strain bwahahahahaha ((ghouls))

Good point, but vampire bullets? Cheeseball factor aside, Do you really want to slap a Ghoul's stat-block onto the hunter who will probably go all self loathing and want to use his newfound powers to take out more vamps?
wanderer_king
In the last game I got to actually play in, my character was using a smartlinked PSG sniper rifle with custom rounds. Due to the integrated dual clip system I came up with an extraordinary idea....

The rounds I used were similar to the tranquilizer rounds currently used to bring down large animals that have wandered into civilized areas and were basically hypodermic darts, one contained part A of a rating 12 binary explosive and an RFID tag detonators. The second dart was loaded with part B of the mixture...

Once you were darted with both parts of the formula, he would send you a AR message informing you he had loaded you with explosives and that your compliance was now required, or you would be detonated... he would then ransom your life for your money. If you made any communications or failed to follow instructions then BOOM! (Your entire bloodstream would be carrying the explosives, so you don't really wanna know what happened when he actually had to detonate it once.)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Dec 30 2008, 10:28 PM) *
I believe ammo cocktail clips were verboten, due to the abstract nature of the rules? Or we would have the classic, flechette, normal, AP burst fire as standard.

dunno. if attack hits, roll 3 extra chemical resistance tests, thats it.

with a mixing of flechette, normal, AP or whatever, one have to figure out what, if any hits, then apply the mods for each type of round that hit seperatly, and roll based on that.

remember, different bullets interact differently to armor...
Mäx
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 31 2008, 04:30 PM) *
dunno. if attack hits, roll 3 extra chemical resistance tests, thats it.

Or six/ten/twelwe grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
meh, just handle it as additional doses (it may even force a overdose). that is unless each bullet is its own chemical, and that is a bit over the top, imo...
Mäx
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 31 2008, 08:30 PM) *
meh, just handle it as additional doses (it may even force a overdose). that is unless each bullet is its own chemical, and that is a bit over the top, imo...

Well the idea was that each round contains a different compound, well at least until you hit round twelwe and start form the beginning.
an Ingram SuperMach 100 with a 60 round clip and a hyper velocity full-auto fire should kill pretty much anything that isn't immune to chemicals grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
ugh, now thats a cocktail...
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 31 2008, 12:30 PM) *
ugh, now thats a cocktail...

Eh, could be worse; back in 1st-3rd edition, one of my players would regularly load up an Ares Squirt with Stim and Stabilization patches, because they automatically caused a Magic loss check on mages. He'd just full-autofire them so the mage was guaranteed to become a Mundane in one burst.

... He'd also use it on other Mages in the party, for "shits and giggles".
kigmatzomat
Freeze foam grenades are an excellent little weapon expansion. We treat them as having a 1m radius, enough to immobilize most people or seriously inconvenience most large critter.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Marduc @ Dec 30 2008, 06:05 PM) *
I had a nasty thought. What if you take the hollow bullets a-la paintball and fill them with laes. Granted they are expensive, but if you hit anyone, they fall immediately uncontious and lose their memory of the last couple of hours. Great for holtout ammo...

Quite expensive (and hard to aquire) but great set for infiltrators:

Ammunitions
Caseless DMSO/Laes Subsonic Capsule Rounds (10 shots):

Damage Mod.: [ (Stun) (capsule rounds)] + [ (subsonic rounds)] = (Stun)

AP Mod.: [+2 (capsule rounds)] + [+2 (subsonic rounds)] = +4

Cost: 30 nuyen.gif (capsule rounds, Arsenal p.35) + 40 nuyen.gif (subsonic rounds, Arsenal p.35) + 300 nuyen.gif (DMSO, 10 doses, Arsenal p.82) + 5000 nuyen.gif (laes, 10 doses, Arsenal p.77) = 5370 nuyen.gif

Aviability: 4 (capsule rounds) + 10F (subsonic rounds) + 3 (DMSO) + 10F (laes) = 27F

Special: -1 dp to tests to locate the shot (-2 if coupled with silencer) (subsonic rounds), -20% weapon range (subsonic rounds), likely to be undetectable by MAD sensors(capsule rounds)

Gun
Modified Morrissey Elan (Arsenal p.20-21):

Damage: 4P

AP:

RC: 1 (Elettronic Firing)

Ammo: 5©

Cost: 450 nuyen.gif (morrissey élan) + 6000 nuyen.gif (Elettronic Firing) + 2400 nuyen.gif (Smartgun System) + 300 nuyen.gif (Skinlink) = 9150 nuyen.gif

Aviability: 7R (morrissey élan) + 20F (Internal Silencer) + 20F (Elettronic Firing) + 20F (Smartgun System) + 20F (Skinlink) = 87F (find the tool and make yourself one)

Special: undetectable by MAD sensors (morrissey élan and ceramic/plastill components mods), -7 dp to tests to locate the shot (Internal Silencer and Elettronic Firing), skinlinked smartgun system, -4 cocealability (holdout, BBB p.302)

Modification (all the mods are considered to have Ceramic/Plastill components and so have an aviability of 20F and a cost modifier of x6 already included, Arsenal p.150-149):
Internal Silencer (Arsenal p.153-151)
Elettronic Firing (Arsenal p.150-149)
Smartgun System (BBB p.311-312, Arsenal p.153-151)
Skinlink (BBB p.318-319, Arsenal p.153-151)

Heath Robinson
Switch to a Pixie Dust/Dopadrine combo, it's cheaper and has beneficial side effects. The description of Dopadrine mentions apathy and disconnection and Pixie Dust is cocaine. Cocaine makes you an arrogant, self-centered jerk; the kind of person who'd wander off to go have some fun if they were feeling bored, the Dopadrine disconnects them from their current responsibilities and situation. The Leal in the Pixie Dust makes them forget the past couple of minutes (like getting shot, and seeing you).

And missing 5 minutes is far less noticable than missing 8 hours. They're likely to remember how they got to work, for a start.
crash2029
How about slab capsule rounds?

A player of mine a while back had chemical glands on his hands that produced a hallucinogen contact toxin. One slap and the sec was suddenly too distracted to mount resistance. Now this same player likes to incapacitate security with orgy spells.
Mäx
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 2 2009, 12:38 AM) *
Aviability: 4 (capsule rounds) + 10F (subsonic rounds) + 3 (DMSO) + 10F (laes) = 27F

Aviability: 7R (morrissey élan) + 20F (Internal Silencer) + 20F (Elettronic Firing) + 20F (Smartgun System) + 20F (Skinlink) = 87F (find the tool and make yourself one)

I don't think your supposed to add availabilities together, as those aren't availability modifiers.
And I'm pretty sure you can't combine different ammunition types into same bullet.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jan 3 2009, 12:25 AM) *
I don't think your supposed to add availabilities together, as those aren't availability modifiers.
And I'm pretty sure you can't combine different ammunition types into same bullet.

Yes rulewise there's nothing that tells that you can, but neither there's something forbidding it.
The reason I put capsule and subsonic raunds together is that subsonic rounds are just rounds that travel slower and for capsule rounds is viable (APDS, AV and High-C raunds wouldn't mesh well for exemple), after all the porpouse of this rounds is to deliver their payload drawing the least attenction possible and using a smaller explosive charge is not untinkable.
For the aviability of the bullets I think it's Ok, they are specialized ammo but they are plausible to be around (27 is high because they aren't mainstream bullet, they probably don't officialy exist and having them fall of the truck takes some serious connections) even if they are harder to aquire than an assault cannon; for the aviability of the gun it's almost a one of the kind piece, it's so specialized that you either build one (modifying the base gun in different stages) or finding one is almost impossible (unless it's on someone you mug/loot), having one should involve roleplaying more than mechanical application of the rules (it's expensive and potentialy extremely usefull but it's not that powerfull as a weapon).
Heath Robinson
I'd assume that capsule rounds come containing paint or some neutral substance (water actually sounds more likely) and you just use a syringe to remove the original substance and insert your chemical of choice. Seems sensible. Equally, you should be able to purchase an equal number of capsule rounds and subsonic rounds and reseat the capsules from one to the other. The big problem is that doing this means that the capsules might not rupture on impact. They're designed to deal with accelerating to supersonic speeds, they're going to be reasonably tough so that they don't rupture inside the barrel.

For modifying the gun, there are sufficient numbers of gunsmiths in the shadows willing to make custom pieces for money. That's the assumption behind the illegal modifications being available at character generation. Instead of tracking down that weapon fully modded (which has an arbitrary availability because there's no rules for calculating availabilities of modded items) you just pass it off to a series of shadow gunsmiths to get it modded to spec.
The Jake
I'm a big fan of DMSO laced capsules for anything you want to shoot at a target. Imagine having a gun with DMSO loaded with tempo for those annoying technomancers? biggrin.gif

One concept I'm playing around with is a street samurai with the wild nanohive (30BP) quality and give him/her cyberspurs with injectable nanites. Allow the character to change the nanites for the situation.
You'd want them to have solid tech and medical skills most likely.

Fighting some street sammy? No problem, switch to hacker nanites.
Fightinga mage? No problem, change nanites to injectibles delivering FABIII.

You'd need some cyberware and the right skillset to maximise this character but it has lots of potential.

- J.
Tachi
I was under the impression that Tempo does not work on technomancers.
Mäx
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 3 2009, 01:56 AM) *
For the aviability of the bullets I think it's Ok, they are specialized ammo but they are plausible to be around (27 is high because they aren't mainstream bullet, they probably don't officialy exist and having them fall of the truck takes some serious connections) even if they are harder to aquire than an assault cannon; for the aviability of the gun it's almost a one of the kind piece, it's so specialized that you either build one (modifying the base gun in different stages) or finding one is almost impossible (unless it's on someone you mug/loot), having one should involve roleplaying more than mechanical application of the rules (it's expensive and potentialy extremely usefull but it's not that powerfull as a weapon).

Can you point to a rule that says you add upp the availebilities of mods to the guns. proof.gif
Becouse somethink just doesn't feel right when a smartlinked elan has an availebility of 27F and that addindg up makes most modified guns unavailepul in chargen for no good reason.
The Jake
QUOTE (Tachi @ Jan 3 2009, 09:29 AM) *
I was under the impression that Tempo does not work on technomancers.

It suppresses their abilities until the drug wears off... .mwuahahaha..... wink.gif

- J.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jan 3 2009, 12:37 PM) *
Can you point to a rule that says you add upp the availebilities of mods to the guns. proof.gif
Becouse somethink just doesn't feel right when a smartlinked elan has an availebility of 27F and that addindg up makes most modified guns unavailepul in chargen for no good reason.

my understanding is that you buy both the gun and the mods, the élan is made of polimers so it doesn't need the ceramic/plasteel components mod, but the silencer, the elettronic firing, the smartgun system and the skinlink that you build on it aren't Mad-proof by default, they need to made that way (the ceramic/plasteel mod's description states that the price on which apply the cost multiplier is the total cost of the gun not just the besa one, this is because you need to make the mods MAD-proof as well, it also states that mods added afterward must have their cost and aviability modified in the same fashion, unless you want to make the ceramic/plasteel mod useless). As I said the little beauty should be aquired trough roleplay instead of trough pure mechanic (you go to the fixer and ask for the gun, you are lucky he/she knows an armourer who thinks weaponsmithing as an art and would gladly produce an unique piece of gear such as what you seek, it won't be cheap and probably it will require some favors from you but the searching is done).

Well it's my interpretation of the rule, it's not an absolute truth.
Mäx
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 4 2009, 01:21 AM) *
my understanding is that you buy both the gun and the mods, the élan is made of polimers so it doesn't need the ceramic/plasteel components mod, but the silencer, the elettronic firing, the smartgun system and the skinlink that you build on it aren't Mad-proof by default, they need to made that way (the ceramic/plasteel mod's description states that the price on which apply the cost multiplier is the total cost of the gun not just the besa one, this is because you need to make the mods MAD-proof as well, it also states that mods added afterward must have their cost and aviability modified in the same fashion, unless you want to make the ceramic/plasteel mod useless). As I said the little beauty should be aquired trough roleplay instead of trough pure mechanic (you go to the fixer and ask for the gun, you are lucky he/she knows an armourer who thinks weaponsmithing as an art and would gladly produce an unique piece of gear such as what you seek, it won't be cheap and probably it will require some favors from you but the searching is done).

Well it's my interpretation of the rule, it's not an absolute truth.

I wasn't really questioning availebilities of the differnt mods just the fact that you added those avalabilities up instead of just using the highest.
Is there something in the rules that says you should do that.
shadowfire
Radioactive paint. They wont think much of it until they develop cancer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012