Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pain editor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
I know I'm probably over thinking this one but as usual, curious how others view it. Pain editor allows you to ignore stun damage. It goes on to explain you feel "no pain and are unaware of the extent of damage you've taken". So does that mean you get to ignore penalties from both physical and mental or is it just a stun pain editor?

Pain Editor: The editor is a cluster of specialized nervous
tissue designed to filter sensory stimuli. As long as the
pain editor is active, the user can ignore the injury modifiers
of Stun damage and will not fall unconscious when the Stun
damage reaches its maximum. The subject feels no pain and
is unaware of the extent of damage taken without examining
herself or being informed by a biomonitor (see p. 329).
While active, the pain editor provides a bonus of +1 to the
users Willpower attribute, but reduces her Intuition by 1
point (never below 1). Additionally, all tactile Perception
Tests receive a dice pool modifier of -4.
JFixer
As I read it, only stun damage.

Physical damage causes lag in physical response, weakness in physical muscle, and loss of physical blood. Those wound penalties are a bit harder to ignore.

My query is "Does this mean my mage is immune to drain?"

And does it make a decker immune to Blackout IC?
Clay Pigeon
I read it that you still take penalties for Physical damage:
the user can ignore the injury modifiers of Stun damage

wind_in_the_stones
There are seemingly contradictory sentences, so go by the one that sounds more rules-like. "the user can ignore the injury modifiers of Stun damage."

But I think it's not really contradiction, if you consider the impairment due to physical injuries is due to blood loss, and real loss of function (like, say, due to cut muscles), wound modifiers due to physical injuries are not simply due to the distraction of pain.

(edited)
Prime Mover
Considering the cost of damage compensator's in essence and cash I'm assuming Pain Editor is stun only.

You would take no penalty from stun damage and have no idea how much you've actually taken.
Stahlseele
allways been stun only, but you don't feel any pain from physical damage anyway.
but if you don't feel pain, that does not mean your body will work just as expected with holes in it O.o
The Jake
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 1 2009, 08:22 PM) *
allways been stun only, but you don't feel any pain from physical damage anyway.
but if you don't feel pain, that does not mean your body will work just as expected with holes in it O.o

Accurate description. Shame it sucks so bad from the way it worked in earlier versions of SR... ;(

- J.
KCKitsune
So which is better for a mage to get? Trauma Dampener or a Pain Editor? The Dampener is easier to get and less costly in the Essence department and can help you with wounds as well as some pain.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 3 2009, 06:44 AM) *
So which is better for a mage to get? Trauma Dampener or a Pain Editor? The Dampener is easier to get and less costly in the Essence department and can help you with wounds as well as some pain.

Neither. Rating 3 adrenaline pump.
HentaiZonga
The Trauma Damper, hands down. It's basically one auto-hit on every damage resistance test you will ever take.
Meschler
Dont forget Sideways. As far as my reading goes you feel no pain with the Sideways genetic infusion eather for stun and for physical damage. Combine that with a biomonitor which informs you every time about your health level and you are fine. Also Sidways has pretty good other effects too.

Best wishes,
Meschler
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 3 2009, 12:40 AM) *
Neither. Rating 3 adrenaline pump.

eek.gif You're joking right? Adrenaline Pump 3 cost 90000 nuyen.gif and is 2.25 Essence for the Type O. That is not something you want in a mage... unless you want to destroy the mage.
Chrysalis
"When the adrenaline pump is triggered, the user ignores injury modifiers from Stun damage, and she will not fall unconcious when Stun damage reaches its maximum."
Pg. 338 BBB

Actually Pain Editor has exactly the same advantage and costs a fraction of the price. Pain editor it is.
Stahlseele
does the trauma dampener still change one point from physical to stun and one point from stun to nothing?
if you can make it so you only take one box of stun damage, you take NO stun damage at all . . of course that's pretty much impossible, but if it works, it works good ^^
else: pain editor. hands down.
only if you rule that the trauma dampener switches one box of physical to one box of stun damage and then shifts that one box of stun damage down to 0 i would get the dampener
The Jake
QUOTE (Meschler @ Jan 3 2009, 09:25 AM) *
Dont forget Sideways. As far as my reading goes you feel no pain with the Sideways genetic infusion eather for stun and for physical damage. Combine that with a biomonitor which informs you every time about your health level and you are fine. Also Sidways has pretty good other effects too.

Best wishes,
Meschler

I'm not familiar with all the infusions but your chances of a permanent infusion are slim. I'd go the pain editor every time personally.

- J.
Meschler
Sideways nead only one success with the Edge + Essence test to give the bonus for two weeks. With high Edge and Essence that is quite possible. And who knows....maybe you get lucky and get the 5 successes to get it permament. With 6 Essence and 4 in Edge you have 10 dice. Not to bad for the one neaded success.

Best wishes,
Meschler
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012