Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware Weight?!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ramorta
I’m curious how much cyberware weighs. Your average troll weighs roughly 300kg, or 660lbs. If you replaced his entire body with cyberlimbs, how much would he weigh? I can’t seem to find the weight in any of the books. Also, at what point would you have problems falling through floors, or having vehicles unable to move you?

Thanks in advance. cyber.gif
Stahlseele
there is nothing to this extent in the rules.
basically, every cyber replacement weights as much as the original . .
only things that mentioned weight were things like bonelacing in 3rd ed and maybe bone density in 4th ed . .
but in 4th ed such tings as weight are generelly handwaved anyway as far as i know
Tachi
Plus swimming modifiers due to density differences. That's in the 'using skills: swimming' section. SR4 p.119 (Treading Water Modifications Table). It's just for treading water, but I apply it across the board to all swimming tests. I guess that makes it a House Rule of mine, huh? And here I was thinking I didn't have any House Rules.
Dr Funfrock
I'd say, given that these propheses are intended to be as close a possible replacement for the original part as they can be, that "weighs the same" is a fair assumption. They'll be using a lot of plastics and other lightweight materials where possible (because the less weight a limb has to move, the less power it needs), and there'll be some empty space in there.

Feel free to assume that someone who has filled out all the capacity on their limbs is heavier though. Armor would definitely add some weight, and the other mods equally will weigh a character down like any equipment they carry (Pedant note: Yes, I'm aware there are no encumbrance rules. I'm assuming the GM is not an idiot however).
Metapunk
cyber ware like bone lacing and bone density is increasing weight, I dont remember if the book holds a table with examples, looking in the core rulebook atm.

else I would say that cyber limbs weigh the same as normal limbs, EXCEPT if the player/npc with the limb wants it to be of a heavier material
ornot
It is generally not a good idea to make a prosthesis weight substantially more than the lost limb. A heavier arm would put extra strain on the meat body and legs, and the same goes for torsos or skulls. Legs you could get away with weighing more, since they do not require meat to support them, and if someone went full-on borg the weight is no longer an issue, obviously.

On p119 BBB there is a table of swimming modifiers that includes bone-lacing and cyberlimbs, so they are presumably less buoyant, although that doesn't necessarily mean they are heavier.

I would rule that any weight increase is insignificant for most purposes, unless it was dramatically appropriate.
Dr Funfrock
QUOTE (Metapunk @ Jan 2 2009, 03:19 PM) *
cyber ware like bone lacing and bone density is increasing weight, I dont remember if the book holds a table with examples, looking in the core rulebook atm.

else I would say that cyber limbs weigh the same as normal limbs, EXCEPT if the player/npc with the limb wants it to be of a heavier material

Those are the notable exceptions, because they actually note the effects of the increased weight in their description. Since nothing else makes any mention of weight (and if they did it for those specific pieces, you'd think they'd do it for any ware it applied to) I'd say it's fair to assume that the weight difference on any other ware is negligible.

And yeah, if the player wants to make stuff differently, that's their choice. Once players and GMs get creative, the rules must always take a backseat to what makes sense. I mean the rules say that a Meta Link costs 100 nuyen, but that doesn't mean it can't cost more if the player wants the Maria Mercurial Limited Edition Meta Link. Stuff always changes once you start treating the game world as a world, and not just as a set of rules.
Stahlseele
especially as in SR4 weights and other such stuff like storage space for data are supposed to be in the realm of handwavium. only if the player/characters go overboard the GM should step in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012