Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simrig and Hacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
awolfromlife
Pg 35, Unwired states:
A simrig can also be useful for collecting intel on VR runs.

What other applications does a simrig have for hackers, if any.
Prime Mover
It can make a full sensory recording, allowing you to go back and replay what you did/saw as if you were doing it. Given enough time, I know my players could make a dozen uses for that.
Sir_Psycho
I suppose you mean implanted in the hacker, but if a target has a simrig and you hack a worm into it that sends you back the feed - it's the perfect first person surveillance.
hobgoblin
heh, simrigs and live vblogs. now thats interesting and scary at the same time wink.gif
KCKitsune
How big is a simrig? If I have a character with a datajack, can it plug into that can record my senses?
Heath Robinson
Okay, so this is actually totally mystifying. What use does a Hacker have for a Simrig that other team roles don't have?
TheOOB
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jan 3 2009, 12:05 AM) *
Okay, so this is actually totally mystifying. What use does a Hacker have for a Simrig that other team roles don't have?

Simrigs are useful for everyone, but not as useful as you might think. Sure being able to record full sensory data of whatever you do it cool, but really, any device with an image link can record video, and any device with an audio link can record audio, and usually you don't need 3 other senses and an emotive track to record a meeting with johnson for blackmail or some lone stars beating on homeless people to bring up in court.

On the other hand, a simrig allows you to record VR data, which is useful because a)most users don't use VR, they use AR, and b)hackers can get into all the fun places. Using a simrig to record your battle with an IC might allow you to research it and make a program to help fight that type of IC on a future occasion, or it might be used to get a quick sim-vid of a megas inside node for some valuable paydata.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jan 3 2009, 05:11 AM) *
On the other hand, a simrig allows you to record VR data, which is useful because a)most users don't use VR, they use AR, and b)hackers can get into all the fun places. Using a simrig to record your battle with an IC might allow you to research it and make a program to help fight that type of IC on a future occasion, or it might be used to get a quick sim-vid of a megas inside node for some valuable paydata.

This must be where I need to hammer the "I BELIEVE" button. VR is where they send data to your Commlink/Nexus which translates it into Sim signals and then passes it to the Sim Module to put into your head, right? So why don't I just take a copy of the Sim data before it gets passed to the Sim Module? That way I avoid all the problems with scanning the inside of my head for the thing that the very same piece of electronics just put there.
hobgoblin
heh, what one really should do is hit "i believe" on simsense in the first place.

we know basically nada about it. it just magically makes a computer able to send full-sensory experiences into the human brain, any human brain, with little or no adjustment between users.
TheOOB
Well, you can take the simsense data you received, but your own simsense track might be very different, especially with your reality filters thrown into the mix.

Simrigs are useful, but by no means required.
Heath Robinson
Okay, let's not get into my favourite part of the rules to hate (let me just state that I think that the Reality Filter program implies some very stupid things in universe about the Matrix) and move onto where the thing you just said doesn't seem to work to me.

My perception of VR environment is defined by the data that is being passed to the Sim Module. That module performs a mapping of some kind on the VR Sim tracks, translating it into neural impulses that get projected into my head. Even if I'm reinterpretting bits of the VR environment, that reinterpretation has to be done before that data hits the Sim Module.

If I take a copy of the data right before it's sent to the Sim Module I have an exact copy of what I was experiencing first time round. The SimRig only gives me my own emotional reaction above that, which isn't important for Recon.

Hobgoblin,
The tech that works the Sim Module is a setting assumption blackbox. I'm fine with that. It's when things stop following the same rules as everything else for no discernable reason that I start going crazy. Rules I can deal with, the implication that there are rules and then things which don't follow them where they should concern me immensely. When advice is given which implies that rules don't apply when they should confuses and annoys me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012