Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horses
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Chrysalis
Greets,

I was looking through the BBB and I found two holes. First of all is there a ride skill mention in 4e? Ad second how much does it cost on buying a horse?

The rules which we came up with was that Animal Riding is a Reaction based skill.

Horses cost from 10,000 nuyen and demand a high class lifestyle or higher or alternatively cost 10% more of the lifestyle. This would allow for you to have a "rented horse", like some of my classmates had in primary school, which meant that every week you took care of the horse for a few hours and could ride it around the grounds.

What do you think?
Stahlseele
in todays real life, the actual horses ain't all that expansive . . only racing horses that won big prizes get in the 10k+ range usually.
the real cost comes from food and a place for the horse to stay at. that is, in itself, basically a new lifestyle . . rent, care(medical and otherwise) etc.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 3 2009, 09:25 PM) *
First of all is there a ride skill mention in 4e?

Pilot Anthroform - it walks on legs.
Tiger Eyes
A nice family horse, in my area (pacific nw) starts at about $5,000 and goes up from there (this is a horse that's well trained enough and has a nice enough disposition to put my children on it). A show horse can start at $10,000 and go up. When my family bred horses, a "pre-sale" of a foal - selling it before it's born - started at $5,000. We often sold a new foal for $7,500+. These were family/show horses.

Full care board in this area starts around $350, but closer into the city, and people pay upwards of $500 - $1000 per month for board. My own mare is at a lovely little stable and I pay $375/mo for full care (feed, stall cleaning, turn out, etc - they do everything but exercise her). Farrier (hoof care) is $35 every 4 - 6 weeks. Regular immunizations are about $100 every 6 months.

Personally, if you had a high class or luxury lifestyle, I would totally say having a horse is covered. You might have to sacrifice a few other things, though, like swapping out membership to hot dance clubs for membership to a pony club. wink.gif
Stahlseele
how prices differ O.o
around here, you get a good horse for about 1000€ if you know your way around the scene . .
but having your horse then taken care of can go up to 500€ per month . .
i happen to live right across from one of our two race tracks where one of the biggest derbies takes place every year.
Chrysalis
So how much would a horse cost in nuyen in 2070?

Also, my character was bought a pony, would a middle class lifestyle be enough to cover Binkie's upkeep?
Muspellsheimr
About the same. US Dollar <-> Nuyen is aprox. a 1:1 exchange.

UCAS Dollar, on the other hand, is a 5:1 exchange, from what I have heard.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 3 2009, 10:57 PM) *
So how much would a horse cost in nuyen in 2070?

Also, my character was bought a pony, would a middle class lifestyle be enough to cover Binkie's upkeep?

yes, middle would be good for your horsie . . also, i like the name ^^
pbangarth
How much for a heavy warhorse with plate mail barding?

Peter
HentaiZonga
Hello. I am here to say one thing.

Paint Palomino + Inhabitation Ally Spirit + Movement power = LOADS of fun.
Chrysalis
As far as I can tell in RL: An Andalusian stallion costs ~10,000 euros. 16th century bespoke horse armour (for tournament use) costs ~5,000 euros. That would be 20,000 USD or 20,000 nuyen.
Ryu
All this talk about horses makes me think about biodrones...
Stahlseele
with a large smuggling compartment and a tiny pixie-rigger, the jokcey could sit INSIDE the horse ^^
Chrysalis
A trojan Horse, eww.

Are there dual natured horses?

Nightmares?

-Chrysalis
Stahlseele
Unicorns? *snickers*
Yes, Trojan horse, with the Backdoor . . oh eeww *grins*
make the horse into cyber-zombie, presto, dual natured ^^

each uisge or however that is spelled looks like a horse i think.
there are simply not that many magical horses to begin with, much less in Shadowrun . .
wanna something really over the top ridickuless? O.o
catch one of the horses from the wild hunt nyahnyah.gif ^^
Chrysalis
I suppose you would have to have a tug of war with Wodan for the horse and there is no guarantee that you can even ride it. Or it even may disappear in the morning sun. Sleipnir Odin's horse is eight legged and supposedly only Odin could ride.

-Chrysalis
Stahlseele
yep, that would work too of course . . you just would have to summon one to summon the other then fight the first for the second and then fight the second to get the second to obey you . . and when you're done, it's dawn or dusk and all has been for nothing ^^
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 4 2009, 12:01 PM) *
Are there dual natured horses?

Centaurs?
Snow_Fox
I'm glad someone else brought this up. I've been thinking lately that SR is so urban and mechanized that it might be very differnet away from the cities and into NAN and more rural parts of UCAS that horses might be better to get around on. Certainly running the SS border they would give a very different sig than someone driving a truck. Sure you can't carry BIG stuff, but people and data, no prob.
Cang
You got unicorns, (normal and greater), you have a Siberian humped horse, you got the Bayard (has a mist form), you got an Each-Uisge (evil looking sea horse thing), you got a pegasus, and you got alot of other critters that i guess you could ride (awakened moose, elk, boars, ect.)
Snow_Fox
or you could just be normal and ride something that isn't going to get the attnetion of everyone who sees you on the way to the SHADOWrun. I mean what is going to stick out more? 5-6 guys on horses or the troll on a mega-moose and the elven princess on a unicorm?
Cang
Didn't say it was a good idea, just answering the question about awakened horses. Personally i rather have a hog then horse (motorcycle that is). More of a nucowboy thing. Or perhaps galaxy rangers?
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 4 2009, 06:16 PM) *
elven princess on a unicorm?

Ooh! Can I play an elven princess on a unicorn?

-Chrysalis
ornot
I'd punch up the cost of owning a horse in SR4. Given the predominantly urban environment, the groom skill set is likely rarer, and there are the dangers of your new foal being awakened, and thus breeding them becomes more dangerous. YMMV.

I'd also consider Intuition for the riding linked skill. A chunk of riding is anticipating what the horse wants to do and persuading the horse to let you ride it.

I think they left out animal handling from the BBB since horses are not typically a great part of the cyberpunk genre. As we have demonstrated it's not hard for a GM to stitch together some quick rules. I doubt mounted combat would occur very often, hence those possibly more complicated rules can be rather safely ignored.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 4 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Ooh! Can I play an elven princess on a unicorn?

-Chrysalis

Oooo. I wanna play one too. love.gif
Chrysalis
I wonder if we could come up with a Shadowrun adventure which centered on elven princesses on unicorns. Something fun and happy and not always about nasty things. Could we have singing as an important part of the adventure?
Cang
What about a gunslinging orphaned unicorn who has been burned by a corp out for revenge and a corp elven princess who is raised to hate the unicorn's kind yet fall in love and have to pull a heist that gets back at the elven family and gets them enough money to move to some remote island. Also there are terrorists taking over a bank and Harrison Ford. Now THAT'S an adventure. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
silly.gif
hyzmarca
There are auctions these days where you can purchase a good horse for less than a dollar per pound. It won't be a thoroughbred or a proven champion, of course. They don't sell those by the pound.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jan 4 2009, 08:44 PM) *
I wonder if we could come up with a Shadowrun adventure which centered on elven princesses on unicorns. Something fun and happy and not always about nasty things. Could we have singing as an important part of the adventure?

You know, Peter stops by and sees you saying this to me, and he's gonna be sweating bullets... hmmm... elven princesses on unicorns... SR Adventures...
Knight Saber
Gibson's Neuromancer has horses as extinct. They wouldn't be as threatened in Shadowrun, but where would you keep one? Most people live in urban sprawls where acid rain is a problem. There aren't many green patches in 2070 Seattle you could take your horse to for a nice ride... The nice places for that are across one zealously-guarded border or another.
Rotbart van Dainig
Honestly, all that acid rain stuff is pretty silly - city central is covered by grid-link, even 'combustion' cars are hybrids incorporating basic solar power by default and of course, 'combustion' means that you can freely choose from any kind of fuel, including those like ethanol and hydrogen that are used for fuel-cells, too.

Even 2070, Seattle mostly consists of hills & field, swamps and forests. They have agriculture there.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Jan 5 2009, 04:08 AM) *
Gibson's Neuromancer has horses as extinct. They wouldn't be as threatened in Shadowrun, but where would you keep one? Most people live in urban sprawls where acid rain is a problem. There aren't many green patches in 2070 Seattle you could take your horse to for a nice ride... The nice places for that are across one zealously-guarded border or another.

Keep them in the NAN and forget about Gibson
Elven Princesses on Unicorns ...Don't tempt me love.gif spin.gif
I still have one female elven Ki-Mage which is not yet played.I can still tamper her Backgroundstory....
oh too late ,I Succumb, "Limit" is now an Elven Princess. ohhhh wub.gif

with a lovely Dance
Medicineman
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 5 2009, 07:50 AM) *
You know, Peter stops by and sees you saying this to me, and he's gonna be sweating bullets... hmmm... elven princesses on unicorns... SR Adventures...

I think we can come up with a few. Maybe for the April edition of an adventure pack?
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (ornot @ Jan 4 2009, 11:33 AM) *
I think they left out animal handling from the BBB since horses are not typically a great part of the cyberpunk genre. As we have demonstrated it's not hard for a GM to stitch together some quick rules. I doubt mounted combat would occur very often, hence those possibly more complicated rules can be rather safely ignored.

Mounted combat (post WWI) has fallen by the wayside. Most often (with some rare exceptions in WWII) horses and mules are used for transport and not in direct combat. You would dismount before engaging the enemy. However, in some places, Afghanistan for example, riding and fighting on horseback does happen (a special forces guy did that with some afghan locals when fighting the Taliban). Using that as a base (I'm waiting for Feral Cities to come out in hardcopy), I'd think that in the more rural and 3rd world settings, having a horse (or other mount) is more of a possibility.

OT-Here little Joey, ride the Piasme. Aww Joey don't be afraid he's just smiling at you. wobble.gif
Stahlseele
Russian Bear Cavalry using Piasmas . . scaaryy . . or those awakened critters that made up their own little state way up north russias ass . .
Or those nice Robot-Horsies from Saber Rider or Galaxy Rangers ^^
Ultra Violet
I love Ghazu horses they are small but incredibly fast and loved and traded by horse collectors all over the 6. world.

Greetings
UV
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jan 5 2009, 05:24 AM) *
Honestly, all that acid rain stuff is pretty silly - city central is covered by grid-link, even 'combustion' cars are hybrids incorporating basic solar power by default and of course, 'combustion' means that you can freely choose from any kind of fuel, including those like ethanol and hydrogen that are used for fuel-cells, too.

True, but cheap manufacturing sites more than make up for that. The Sixth World is trying to clean up its act, but there's still a lot of pollution being poured out.
hermit
those awakened critters that made up their own little state way up north russia

In Soviet Russia, horses ride you!
Tachi
QUOTE (Ultra Violet @ Jan 5 2009, 08:22 AM) *
I love Ghazu horses they are small but incredibly fast and loved and traded by horse collectors all over the 6. world.

Greetings
UV

Welcome to Dumpshock. Don't forget to duck, and make sure to use hard cover, not just concealment. Long time member, first time poster? Then you've probably seen some of the firefights we have around here.

On topic:
I'd probably use modifiers to figure prices. Figure a base, then, +25-50% for working horses (Clydesdales and such), x2-5 for thoroughbreds (x4+ for Arabians or Lipizzaners), etc, broken (probably standard), unbroken (-20% of base) or only green-broke (-10%), etc. Add up all the modifiers, multiply by modified base, and voila... SR horse prices. Don't worry about grades of horseflesh, just assume their all decent horses, unless your game requires a broken-down nag or one that's overly spirited/untrainable. But that's probably to complicated.
Ryu
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 5 2009, 06:50 AM) *

Accidental discovery: Aaron hosts Knassers Unicorn, and the introduction of that one mentions two Unicorn Runs.
Hagga
Pity you can't tame other things.

I want my shadowrunner to ride a twelve foot killing machine that thinks of me as food! (Wyvern.)
hermit
Try a Kelpie for starters.

And Bayards propably don't make for a good ride. Something that turns to mist when scared isn't fun to ride, I bet.

Welcome to Dumpshock. Don't forget to duck, and make sure to use hard cover, not just concealment. Long time member, first time poster? Then you've probably seen some of the firefights we have around here.

Oh, someone must've linked dumpshock to the Nexus. that's where the recent baiters came from ...

UV wrote parts of Unwired (correct me if i'm wrong) and is present on most important German forums. And compared to them, dumpshock is a fairly nice place, so whatever goes down there, he's propably seen worse.

Welcome anyway. ^_^
Medicineman
somebody advised me to take a normal Horse and to use a Cyberhorn .But my Elfin Princess wouldn't want her Horsey to be a "Unicornposer"....

with a lovely Virgindance
Medicineman
Falrien
I read somewhere in 3rd ed a long time ago about an unusual awakened German Rhine Horse - three metres tall at the shoulder... Ah

Here it is:

Rhine Horse

(The Granlain, from Earthdawn.) The horse breed called the Rhine descends from a group of Percherons bred in the Rhine Valley in Germany. Recently, they began birthing unusually large foals, which have grown into monstrously large horses: 7’ tall at the shoulder, and ten feet in length. These beasts can actually carry a Troll well. (Normally, Trolls have to ride very tough Percherons and Shire horses.) They are stubborn as mules.

B 12
Q 4×4
S 12
I 2/3
W 6
E 6
R 3 10S trample?

Maybe this will help for an interesting twist

Stahlseele
well . . now who wants to play a troll valkyrie?
JFixer
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 4 2009, 04:47 PM) *
Oooo. I wanna play one too. love.gif

*SHUDDERS*

Ugh... remind me never to run a game for these people.

These are the kind of people that don't even know how dolphins bite people in half when no one is looking...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 6 2009, 12:31 PM) *
In Soviet Russia, horses ride you!

and in certain fetish pr0n too . . *shudders*
Ryu
QUOTE (JFixer @ Jan 6 2009, 04:47 PM) *
*SHUDDERS*

Ugh... remind me never to run a game for these people.

These are the kind of people that don't even know how dolphins bite people in half when no one is looking...

According to the Earthdawn creature book, Unicorns used to have a preference for metahuman flesh (ED past, not SR past). The dragon that provided the intel also said that catching a Unicorn with a virgin, instead of a good horse and skilled rider, was a waste of good virgin flesh.
Medicineman
....ooO(what about SURGEd Horses that only look like Unicorns ? )

with a thoughtful Dance
Medicineman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012