Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can elves have human babies?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blackpool
If two elves have a child, is there any chance it could be human? Even a small, minute chance of it happening (which is what I think it would be)?

I guess the same question could be posed for other races too. In the races section of the book it mentions humans going through Goblinization at puberty, is there a chance that they just don't change?

Opinions are welcome, along with actual canon.
Ancient History
Yes, it can happen. No, we're not posting the percentages.
Stahlseele
*points at AH*
as canon as it comes.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 4 2009, 07:26 PM) *
No, we're not posting the percentages.

AH gets squeamish when people start talking babies... nyahnyah.gif
Cang
I believe it is eleventy percent, give or take a satyr.
The Jake
I recall in SR1 it went into a lot of detail around how goblinisation occurs, when, whether trolls and orks were born or rather 'goblinized' at puberty.

This material is very much lacking in SR4 and if you didn't know the truth from earlier editions, you'd assume they were all born when this is not the case at all.

- J.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 5 2009, 12:38 AM) *
AH gets squeamish when people start talking babies... nyahnyah.gif

well, with his age, do you blame him? *snickers*

QUOTE (Cang @ Jan 5 2009, 12:53 AM) *

ok, you're going to special pun hell *grins*
Blackpool
Thank you, sir. *salutes AH*

Good to know I wasn't just imagining reading about it somewhere before too.

Well...now it's back to character background.
Snow_Fox
to build a little on AH's words. (gee I feel like I'm making notes in the margine of the dead sea scroll saying that) but it is possible but increasinly rare as the awakening grows more distant such cross overs are more and more rare. A whole run might be on an elf family high in the tir wanting to hide their 'shame'
The Jake
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 5 2009, 03:45 AM) *
to build a little on AH's words. (gee I feel like I'm making notes in the margine of the dead sea scroll saying that) but it is possible but increasingly rare as the awakening grows more distant such cross overs are more and more rare. A whole run might be on an elf family high in the tir wanting to hide their 'shame'

Does this mean as the mana level rises that trolls and orks would be born to their respective parents and the levels are too high (especially post SURGE) to see human babies 'goblinise'? I could easily see this being the case but it isn't really covered anywhere...

- J.
Jaid
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 4 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Does this mean as the mana level rises that trolls and orks would be born to their respective parents and the levels are too high (especially post SURGE) to see human babies 'goblinise'? I could easily see this being the case but it isn't really covered anywhere...

- J.

more along the lines that as mana levels rise, there will be fewer instances of latent 'goblinisation' and more instances of it at birth, if i'm reading them right.
The Jake
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 5 2009, 05:08 AM) *
more along the lines that as mana levels rise, there will be fewer instances of latent 'goblinisation' and more instances of it at birth, if i'm reading them right.

Aye. That was my reading. I'm just wondering "are we there yet?".

- J.
Hagga
QUOTE (Cang @ Jan 4 2009, 11:53 PM) *

You forgot to factor in how much the father likes yoghurt.

That said, I think I remember the metatype being a dominant trait but only from an elven female with a human male involved. Break out your mendel punnet squares, I hate those things and can't be stuffed.
The Jake
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 5 2009, 06:06 AM) *
You forgot to factor in how much the father likes yoghurt.

That said, I think I remember the metatype being a dominant trait but only from an elven female with a human male involved. Break out your mendel punnet squares, I hate those things and can't be stuffed.

I did read somewhere that if the parents are of mixed metahuman heritage then the child can go either way. E.g. A child born to a troll and human parents can only be either of those metatypes (SURGE variants notwithstanding). I can't for the life of me recall where I read it exactly however....

- J.
Cain
IIRC, it was Shadowtech that said while any combination was theoretically possible, in practice you only got: metatype of one of the parents, human, and human who was born to orks/trolls and would goblinize at puberty.

I played a character who was a human who didn't goblinize. Made for an interesting back story.
The Jake
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 5 2009, 06:51 AM) *
IIRC, it was Shadowtech that said while any combination was theoretically possible, in practice you only got: metatype of one of the parents, human, and human who was born to orks/trolls and would goblinize at puberty.

I played a character who was a human who didn't goblinize. Made for an interesting back story.

It probably did exist in that book, but this was something more recent. Augmentation most likely.

- J.
Cain
QUOTE (The Jake @ Jan 4 2009, 09:54 PM) *
It probably did exist in that book, but this was something more recent. Augmentation most likely.

- J.

Honestly don't recall. But if we're discussing specific books, RC says something about Giants having a greater tendency towards genetic reversion. IIRC, one in four babies is a human who won't goblinize.
darthmord
Don't recall the book but basically it goes like so...

Human + Meta = Human or Meta or Human who goblinizes into Meta (if applicable).

Thus a Human and Ork could have a Human, Ork, Human that goblinizes OR... a different meta type altogether but this is exceedingly rare. In otherwords, H + O = E. It can happen.

Also, just because Goblinization CAN happen doesn't mean it WILL.

Also covered earlier on was that as time passes most of the crossovers like this happen less and less.

But to answer the original question, yes you can have a Homo Sapien Sapien from two Homo Sapien Nobilis parents (that's Human from two Elf parents for those that don't know/recall the old scientific names).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012