Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Siege
Rough draft for contact rules

Analyze and evaluate as you will.

-Siege

Edit: Rough draft removed for editing
Tanka
1) Ewww... Geocities!
2) It's down right now. Check the link or find a new host.

After that, I'll check back. biggrin.gif
Siege
Alright, I don't know why Geodrekkies was having a problem linking directly to the .pdf, but I included an index.

Click on the link above and then click on the second link and it should work.

-Siege
Tanka
Not bad, not bad. Although, I think Etiquette should be used over another Social skill. Otherwise Big Mean and Ugly could use his Intimidation skill to suddenly have more chummers. While this can be understandable (Y-yes Sir, I'll do what you say and give you stuff!), it's also a tad odd.

Just my thoughts, though. Take them as you will.
Siege
QUOTE (tanka)
Not bad, not bad. Although, I think Etiquette should be used over another Social skill. Otherwise Big Mean and Ugly could use his Intimidation skill to suddenly have more chummers. While this can be understandable (Y-yes Sir, I'll do what you say and give you stuff!), it's also a tad odd.

Just my thoughts, though. Take them as you will.

That's an interesting idea -- I hadn't included Intimidation, but bullies seem to have a way of coercing interaction...

I'll chew on that one for a bit.

-Siege
Saintgrimm
I think the social skills should be Ett, and Int.
I also think Intimidation might make them scared enough to actually decrease loyalty. Personally, if I was working for a troll who threatened to rip my head off if I didn't cyber him up... I'd do it. And when he comes back to have the bullet taken out, I'd do it. And when his friend needed that small surgery..I'd do it... but when that corp came by asking who and what they were *Exact Description, address if I have it, etc etc etc.* I didn't say a damn thing. They raided my files. I skip town if the corp fails. Something.

Gotta remember...even if he treats you nice later, his first reaction was do what I want or you die, get legs broken, whatever.
Fortune
Alright, I don't know why Geodrekkies was having a problem linking directly to the .pdf, but I included an index.

Geoshities never allows direct linking to files of any type, be it jpegs or pdfs.
mfb
sure they do. you just have to be sneaky about it. i don't know if this will work for pdf's, but it works well enough for jpgs and gifs: upload the file as a txt, and link it as such. the extension slips by geocities' tightwad-o-tron, but most modern browsers will still interpret it correctly.
Fortune
I forgot about the .txt file thingie. I don't know any other file format that slips through though. smile.gif

I renamed Wordman's character sheets (in pdf format) on my Geoshities site to txt. as a test. It seems to work. wink.gif
mfb
i am 1337 h4xx0r.
Fortune
Need a [middle finger smiley]! wink.gif
Frag-o Delux
I am a litle sleppy but I didn't see where the cost of the level of the contact comes into play, level 1 or 2 or 3.

In your chart at the end talking about total cost you have

Contact level 1
availibility -1
Loyalty 0
Influence +1
Total 1

Shouldn't the level of the contact make it 2, other wise you can get the same thing with a Buddy. Or am I missing something, other wise Twitch could get 16 level 3 contacts. And is this a character creation thing? How will all this come into play with contacts made during game play, will these rating things effect the up-keep rules. I mean a really loyal highly effecient level 3 contact should be well taken care of as opposed to a level 1 you can hardly ever get a hold of and will probably drop a dime on you the second someone comes asking.

I'll re-read your PDF again, like I said still sleepy.
Fortune
Isn't the base cost of each level listed right at the beginning of the file?
Tanka
Frag: Yup. First page, section entitled "Contact Rankings."

We forgive you. Being tired is of the devil. Of the devil, I say!
Frag-o Delux
Sorry eyes crossed and read the chart wrong my fault, Fortune had me up all night last night looking for entertainment companies. biggrin.gif

Any Ideas how this will effect contact up keep? Or how it will effect contacts made during gameplay?

Some people you meet will instently fall for a person, some people just crave attention so bad they become totally loyal to someone because of some small favor done, while others will just keep taking from and never give anything in return. I like the idea, I always like fleshing out the world as much as possible, so if this was developed a little more into how it effects are felt in game play this could be a real asset to the game, at least in house ruled games.
Siege
Geeze Frag -- I've had a pitcher and a half of beer, don't mess with me like that. grinbig.gif

Opinions are generally positive, except I need to add something about contact maintenance.

Any other comments? Good, bad or ugly?

-Siege
Fortune
It needs flavor text, but once you add that you should submit it to Adam for The Shadowrun Supplemental. smile.gif

Edit: Or send it to Rob as a submission for SotA'64. biggrin.gif

Edit edit: If you want to do the latter though, you'd better remove it from the Net as soon as possible. wink.gif
Buzzed
I am all for this idea Siege. I like it!

I have always supported the idea of awarding more bonuses for taking charisma.

Charisma giving bonus etiquette points is another idea (like how intelligence gives bonus language and knowledge points). Of course if charisma did that & Siege's contact rules were being used, the formula would need to be changed for obvious reasons. In that case, the charisma-based skill would have to be removed from the formula and the multiplier changed to x 4.

Here is the link to the OLD forum charisma thread.
Snake Oil
Siege
I don't think it's slick enough to qualify for an official publication, but I think I will float it past Adam.

Thanks all.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012