Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Digestive Expansion and Advanced Lifestyles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blind Guardian
I've done a quick search on the forums for all threads mentioning Digestive Expansion dating back to 2007 and I couldn't find any threads that address this, so I'll throw this out to the DS community at large. Have there been any official or unofficial rulings from the game devs on how the digestive expansion bioware or the Vegsin transgenic alteration from Augmentation work with the advanced lifestyle rules from Runner's Companion? According to the RAW for their respective entries, Digestive Expansion provides a flat 20% reduction in lifestyle costs, and Vegsin produces a flat 10% reduction. Does that still apply if you use the advanced lifestyle rules to build a lifestyle? My GM and I took a look at it, and didn't think that I should apply the flat discount to the final figure for the lifestyle costs, and couldn't figure out an elegant way to make it work, since the necessities category of the advanced lifestyles is a relatively small part of the pie. His answer was to stick to the basic lifestyle rules to make life easier for all of us. That's what I'm going to do for the character I'm working on, but now I'm curious about how this should be handled.
Muspellsheimr
Official Ruling: None that I am aware of.

Suggested Ruling: Vegsin increases the food aspect of Necessities by +1, Digestive Expansion increases the food aspect of Necessities by +2.

Look at the home grown lifestyle quality, or whatever it is called.
toturi
QUOTE (Blind Guardian @ Jan 9 2009, 03:30 AM) *
I've done a quick search on the forums for all threads mentioning Digestive Expansion dating back to 2007 and I couldn't find any threads that address this, so I'll throw this out to the DS community at large. Have there been any official or unofficial rulings from the game devs on how the digestive expansion bioware or the Vegsin transgenic alteration from Augmentation work with the advanced lifestyle rules from Runner's Companion? According to the RAW for their respective entries, Digestive Expansion provides a flat 20% reduction in lifestyle costs, and Vegsin produces a flat 10% reduction. Does that still apply if you use the advanced lifestyle rules to build a lifestyle? My GM and I took a look at it, and didn't think that I should apply the flat discount to the final figure for the lifestyle costs, and couldn't figure out an elegant way to make it work, since the necessities category of the advanced lifestyles is a relatively small part of the pie. His answer was to stick to the basic lifestyle rules to make life easier for all of us. That's what I'm going to do for the character I'm working on, but now I'm curious about how this should be handled.

Do the advanced lifestyle rules not provide you with a Lifestyle cost? Is there a game mechanic that says it doesn't apply despite those implants saying that they apply to Lifestyle costs?
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 8 2009, 08:57 PM) *
Do the advanced lifestyle rules not provide you with a Lifestyle cost? Is there a game mechanic that says it doesn't apply despite those implants saying that they apply to Lifestyle costs?

While certainly RAW, that doesn't seem to jive with the "spirit" of the rules at all. We go with a different system:

Anything that would "increase your lifestyle cost by X%" raises your Necessities requirement by X/10, instead. Likewise, anything which would "reduce your lifestyle cost by X%" reduces your Necessities requirement by X/10, instead. Everyone normally needs at least Squatter-level Necessities to survive; for each point you're below your requirement in a given month, you have to roll Body vs. a Threshold equal to the deficit or start getting sick from hunger and malnutrition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012