Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting to a new traditon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
loadsol
I'm a big fan of magic in shadow and i find the differnt tradtions of magic in the system very interesting. So i was wondering about what sort of role playing and if needed game mechanics needed for a magic character wanting to change his tradition. I figure it works in away sort of like a character converting to a new religion, i.e. much time and dedication and using methods apropriate. I figure this more of a roleplaying area but i think some game mechanis apply like the aquisitons of new spirit types, or geas, or what happens if a bound spirit type a character has isn't included in his new tradition. Also what by this extent how would a character switch mentor spirits.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (loadsol @ Jan 9 2009, 10:58 PM) *
I'm a big fan of magic in shadow and i find the differnt tradtions of magic in the system very interesting. So i was wondering about what sort of role playing and if needed game mechanics needed for a magic character wanting to change his tradition. I figure it works in away sort of like a character converting to a new religion, i.e. much time and dedication and using methods apropriate. I figure this more of a roleplaying area but i think some game mechanis apply like the aquisitons of new spirit types, or geas, or what happens if a bound spirit type a character has isn't included in his new tradition. Also what by this extent how would a character switch mentor spirits.

This would represent a SERIOUS crisis of faith. My recommendation: Choose a Geas for each point of magic he possesses, that each represent a facet of his dedication to his new-found spiritual path. Then, as he continues along his way, he can buy off each of those Geasa with Karma.

Hagga
A process similar to an initiation as a bit of an interlude, maybe, too. At the very least a long discussion with the Dweller who, for some reason, manifests in the dreams of the character to ask "seriously wtf dude"
KCKitsune
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Jan 10 2009, 01:05 AM) *
This would represent a SERIOUS crisis of faith.

Or it could be a new understanding of the Universe.

QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Jan 10 2009, 01:05 AM) *
My recommendation: Choose a Geas for each point of magic he possesses, that each represent a facet of his dedication to his new-found spiritual path. Then, as he continues along his way, he can buy off each of those Geasa with Karma.

This is WAY too harsh. Now if the character is changing traditions every other run then yeah charge the Karma penalty, but if it's done ONCE then charging them Karma is just wrong. This should be handled by role playing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012