Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bioaugmentation Begins
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Muspellsheimr
Implant raises cellular army to fight cancer

Edit: Not exactly bioware, but close.
Rayzorblades
I remember years back when Dr Bob Beck talked about an arterial implant that electrified circulating blood to annihilate pathogens, fungi, and bacteria in vivo while leaving healthy tissue alone. Their work even demonstrated benefits against HIV, until big pharma started fighting back. While this is more Cyber than bio, I still think it's awesome.

Before anyone jumps down my throat about alternative medicine being hokum and there being no such thing as disinformation from big pharma, keep in mind this is a Shadowrun board people.

Also, I built and use my own Beck pulse device five years ago when I had a terrible case of pneumonia and almost died, 5 hours of using it and I was 90% better, the next day I was back at work. I've used it weekly since, and daily during cold and flu season and haven't had so much as a sniffle since then. Just some food for thought.
darthmord
There's a lot of things in the current knowledge base of electricity that simply aren't well understood or explained. Many people believe it's possible to get energy from space-time. But that is treated as bullshit by the mainstream scientific community.

Then again, the mainstream scientific community can't figure out exactly how Tesla and the other folks from the last couple of centuries were able to do the stuff they were documented as having successfully demonstrated.

We know next to nothing and established infrstructure would prefer we stay that way.
Muspellsheimr
Yes, but Tesla was probably the single most intelligent man to have existed, out-doing Einstein, da Vinci, etc.

I would still classify this as closer to bioware than cyberware - it's a biodegradable material (still non-biological though) that basically functions as an organ. I cannot think of any cyberware that could be considered a new organ at the moment.
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jan 15 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Yes, but Tesla was probably the single most intelligent man to have existed, out-doing Einstein, da Vinci, etc.

I would still classify this as closer to bioware than cyberware - it's a biodegradable material (still non-biological though) that basically functions as an organ. I cannot think of any cyberware that could be considered a new organ at the moment.

Well there are vascular assistance pumps in existence already, though I wouldn't qualify them as truly artificial organs. Along the same lines though there are true artificial hearts in the works:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle5026788.ece

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iIwgL3...rnoeEOjEYgZId3g

Dialysis machines kind of qualify as artificial organs, but they're ex vivo for now. I like that term, vivo.
Matsci
QUOTE (darthmord @ Jan 15 2009, 10:39 PM) *
There's a lot of things in the current knowledge base of electricity that simply aren't well understood or explained. Many people believe it's possible to get energy from space-time. But that is treated as bullshit by the mainstream scientific community.

Then again, the mainstream scientific community can't figure out exactly how Tesla and the other folks from the last couple of centuries were able to do the stuff they were documented as having successfully demonstrated.

We know next to nothing and established infrstructure would prefer we stay that way.

Uh, you can draw energy from quantum fluctuations. That's what Hawking Radiation is. It's a well established theory.

The problem is that you need a black hole to due so.
And people don't like scientists playing around with black holes. (See LHC)
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (Matsci @ Jan 15 2009, 04:21 PM) *
And people don't like scientists playing around with black holes. (See LHC)

Well I dunno 'bout you but...OH STOP IT! grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012