Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Concepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MatrixJargon
Hey guys. I just wanted to run my current character concept by you before our campaign starts. More or less his roleplay elements and how you think he would function in your own team, for example. Remember, although I prefer fourth ED, I rarely get to play, so this is one of my first characters.

[ Spoiler ]
ElFenrir
Ok, while I'm not the matrix expert(I'll let someone else handle that), it's usually been said that Aptitude isn't always worth taking. Maybe for hackers it's different; but it's a pretty expensive endeavor to do so(10 for the quality and 8 to max the skill, for one more die.) Personally, I'd take hacking 6 and just specialize it.

Also, reaction 3, body 4(base for an Ork but above average by human terms), but no dodge skill. I'd use some of the points if you ditch the Aptitude to take Dodge/Ranged 2+2. Unless you plan on being kind of far away all the time, this could be problematic.

1 Edge is also a bit of a problem, unless it's totally for the character, and even then, it's risky. Try to at least scrape up a 2, preferably a 3. 2 is workable(you can up it), but I'd say 3 is a good number to shoot for.

As for the concept, I dig that a lot. I'm a big fan of the whole steampunk thing. biggrin.gif

I'm sure some of the hacking folks here can brush you up on the finer points of that, because again, I sort of run hacking as a GM as pretty quick(IE, I know what dice to roll where if I have to do some NPC hacking or whatnot, but I don't know what are the ideal skills at what level to start with for a PC hacker, and folks at my table tend not to play hackers too often it seems.)
MatrixJargon
I've decided to take the suggestion to get rid of Aptitude Hacking and bring Hacking down to 6. If I do that I get left with about 18BP. Now, I've never done rigging in, well, any edition. Though I want to spend the extra point on being able to mod vehicles, and maybe put 2 points in to cash to get some rigging stuff. Any tips?
Falrien
What programs have you bought?

Invest some more points into another contact, a drone or 2 if you can afford it and at a stretch a VCR
MatrixJargon
Analyze, Browse, Command, Edit, Reality Filter, Armor, Attack, Decrypt, Exploit, and Medic all at 6.
Biofeedback Filter and Stealth at 3. I spent a LOT of money on my commlink.
Falrien
No spoof or sniffer? eek.gif OR Encrypt...
Only 3 in stealth is a bit risky too.
I am a bit hazy on Command, but I don't see why you would need to have that much...
Oenone
Personally I'd ditch Reality Filter. It doesn't really give you any major benefits compared with the more essential programs you'll be wanting to run in it's place.

Encrypt and spoof are vital. As is the best stealth you can run.

Sniffer you /can/ do without providing you have a radio signal scanner from the sensors section of the BBB. But if you do go that way you're best investing in the program as soon as you can afford to. Because it's just much better having it on your commlink.
MatrixJargon
Actually, could have sworn I had spoof, I guess not. The reason I have all the basic programs at six is because they're cheap and legal, there's no real point at getting them at a low rating. I'll get Stealth up though and get Sniffer when I can. I think my hacker elements are alright, but I'm more worried about rigging. I don't know shit about how to do it? I've got a nice Rover 2068 from Arsenals, any tips on what I should do with it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012