Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement Rate (and other assoreted questions)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadowfox
1) Okay, the movement rates seem ridiculous to me. 10 meters in 3 seconds? Somebody has to have a houserule thats better than RAW for this, it just doesn't make any sense

2) So even if you have wired reflexes, you can't run any faster? I thought I saw a picture somewhere showing what a Street Samurai could do and that they could run 120 feet in an Action Phase

3) DELAYING ACTIONS: Alright, so if my guy has the first go according to initiative, and I want to delay, can I delay one simple action, or do you basically just delay your whole action turn (except for your Free Action, in which it stats you can do at any time during that Initiative Pass)

4) I've already had a failed thread about this, but no one answer seemed right, so I'm trying again:

If your declaring that your running (free action) at the beginning of your turn, and you move at say 25 meters for the whole action phase, WHERE DO YOU MEASURE FIRING DISTANCES FROM (to figure out range modifiers)?

Also, if Joe the human only has one initiative pass, and he runs 20 meters, but John the Elf has 2 initiative passes, then Joe only moves 10 meters per pass, correct? If this is true, when Joe fires does he fire from the 10 meter point? or the half way point? And when the elf takes his turn, since Joe is moving already, how can you tell exactly where he is during that pass, since it says they move a certain number of meters per action turn?

5) Also, just a tiny question here. One of my players has the ambidextrous quality, and has two single shot pistols in both hands. If he wants to fire both at the same time using 1 simple action, its says he doesn't get any bonus from smartlink or laser sights? However, if he were to shoot one gun with one simple acton (this gun has the smartlinked), and use the next simple action to fire the other one (this one has the laser sight, since you can't have two smartlinked guns at the same time), there's no problem with that? I understand I could house rule it, but he's already splitting the dice pool to fire both on the same simple action, so it seems harsh to get rid of that bonus too.

DireRadiant
2) More IP means more Athletics Runnings tests to increase your total movement for the turn.

4) SR4 isn't a tactical simulation roleplaying game. So whatever your comfortable with works.

For part A, I'd establish the weapon range based on where the shooter and target are relative to each other at the time the shot is taken. If I have one IP, and I run 25 meters, and the 25 meters moves you from long to short range, I'd allow the player to choose what range they fire at.

Note that one solution is to move everyone on the map whenever an Action occurs, and the PC acts on their actual IP phase.

PC A one IP Init 14
PC B two IP Init 13
The turn has a 3 possible Actions, divide all movement by three, every move that amount on each IP, but they can only act on their own IP.
1. PC A moves 1/3. PC B moves 1/3, PC A acts - 14 (Shoots)
2. PC A moves 1/3. PC B moves 1/3, PC B acts - 13 IP 1(Shoots)
3. PC A moves 1/3. PC B moves 1/3, PC B acts - 13 IP 2(Shoots)

5) No problems with the simple action one hand, then simple action other hand to use the two simple actions.
Shadowfox
Oh, and two other things

6) When doing a grenade ranged attack, if the defender wins, what exactly is happening? Is it just that the shrapnel didn't happen to go off in his direction? Does the grenade still make it to the same place?

7) When a character is looking around the corner with a gun cam, and literally only there hand and gun is sticking out, and they are shooting with the guncam, do (a) they take penalties for this (a.k.a, more than just the -1 Firing From Cover) and (b) if someone else is only able to see the gun/hand sticking out, would the minus to the dicepool to shoot the gun/hand be the -4 good cover? or would it be bumped up to -5? -6 is blind fire so I'm assuming that one is out.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Shadowfox @ Jan 22 2009, 11:00 AM) *
If your declaring that your running (free action) at the beginning of your turn, and you move at say 25 meters for the whole action phase, WHERE DO YOU MEASURE FIRING DISTANCES FROM (to figure out range modifiers)?
We measure from the point where they stop moving. It's usually just a matter of a few meters.

Also, if Joe the human only has one initiative pass, and he runs 20 meters, but John the Elf has 2 initiative passes, then Joe only moves 10 meters per pass, correct? If this is true, when Joe fires does he fire from the 10 meter point? or the half way point? And when the elf takes his turn, since Joe is moving already, how can you tell exactly where he is during that pass, since it says they move a certain number of meters per action turn?
We divide up the walk/run speeds across 4 IP and let each player move the amounts during each IP, so a human gets (6,6,6,7). If you have multiple IP to do something, then you can move and act.

5) Also, just a tiny question here. One of my players has the ambidextrous quality, and has two single shot pistols in both hands. If he wants to fire both at the same time using 1 simple action, its says he doesn't get any bonus from smartlink or laser sights? However, if he were to shoot one gun with one simple acton (this gun has the smartlinked), and use the next simple action to fire the other one (this one has the laser sight, since you can't have two smartlinked guns at the same time), there's no problem with that? I understand I could house rule it, but he's already splitting the dice pool to fire both on the same simple action, so it seems harsh to get rid of that bonus too.
You can have 2 weapons smartlinked at the same time, but get no bonus if they are used at the same time as in using 1 SA to fire both (split dice).
Malachi
I allow my players to take their shot/attack while moving at any point of the movement distance. This is almost always after the full distance for that pass. There may be situations where that is not what they want. For example, if they are closing into Melee range with an opponent via running but want to shoot them before they get there to avoid the "Attacker in melee" penalty, then I would allow them to shoot at any point in the move.

6) When doing a grenade ranged attack, if the defender wins, what exactly is happening? Is it just that the shrapnel didn't happen to go off in his direction? Does the grenade still make it to the same place?

The defender has done "something" in order to get himself out of the blast radius or protected from the blast radius. The exact results are left up to you.

7) When a character is looking around the corner with a gun cam, and literally only there hand and gun is sticking out, and they are shooting with the guncam, do (a) they take penalties for this (a.k.a, more than just the -1 Firing From Cover) and (b) if someone else is only able to see the gun/hand sticking out, would the minus to the dicepool to shoot the gun/hand be the -4 good cover? or would it be bumped up to -5? -6 is blind fire so I'm assuming that one is out.

This is one of those situations where you should just "wing" the penalties. I would give the attack something slightly more sever than "Firing From Cover" because they aren't looking with their own eyes. As for the other side, a case could be made for "Good Cover" or for "Blind Fire" but settling at -5 seems like a good compromise.
Speed Wraith
At my table the controlling player would decide when during their movement they are shooting, so movement and range depend on when the character wants to fire. Tactically, you might find yourself better off shooting from range then moving behind cover, or you might want to move to a more advantageous place before making your shot. Since you can change movement modes, I would even allow (although none of my players have tried this yet) a character to declare that they are walking, move a few meters to setup a shot, take a shot then declare they're changing to a run and so they can spend the difference in extra movement. I think they'd do it if it weren't for the extra confusing math...

#6: Yeah that bugs me too, I haven't figured out how I want to deal with it fully at this time, but I'm thinking about ignoring the errata on that one and just bumping the TN for throwing at the square...something my group and I will have to talk about and play with.

#7: The -4 for good cover is on par with the -4 penatly to make a called shot to knock something out of a character's grasp, in my game I would call it a -4 to attack the hand since it is similar to that rule. Since the camera and smartgun are still there, a -1 from cover is exactly what I'd apply. Doing this would be called "smart." nyahnyah.gif
Wizard
QUOTE (Shadowfox @ Jan 23 2009, 06:00 AM) *
1) Okay, the movement rates seem ridiculous to me. 10 meters in 3 seconds? Somebody has to have a houserule thats better than RAW for this, it just doesn't make any sense

When the Fourth edition initially came out I was also puzzled, 12kph is pretty fast for a walk. Emailed Rob Boyle and was told that the walking rate is actually a jog, and the running rate is actually a full out sprint.

Basically the walking rate is the maximum speed you can travel while having no adverse effect on your actions.

Hope that helps.
Ryu
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jan 22 2009, 09:50 PM) *
#6: Yeah that bugs me too, I haven't figured out how I want to deal with it fully at this time, but I'm thinking about ignoring the errata on that one and just bumping the TN for throwing at the square...something my group and I will have to talk about and play with.

I´m partial to:
1) Standard: Grenade is thrown at a specific location, everyone in the blast area aware of the attack gets a reaction roll, each hit permits you to move 1m away from the grenade, getting behind cover is advised. Attacker hits reduce deviation, any hits beyond that do nothing.

2) Special target: Grenade is thrown at a person -> aim at a specific location, attacker hits reduce deviation, any hits beyond that move the detonation spot towards the target.

Calculate damage, roll resistance.

Effect:
- Targets can be flushed out of their hiding holes
- You can not magically dodge the shrapnel
- Your selection depends on what you want to achive, not on assumptions about the targets defense pool compared to your throwing pool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012