Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T'Erthal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wizard
I wanted to play Shadowrun in our current world and time with all the magic and technology that Shadowrun offers. I also wanted to retain the Shadowrun world as published as a place players could travel to.

After spending a fair bit of time I have come up with the following. I am still working on details that come from this idea but I thought I would share the player briefing for the campaign setting.

It's rather long, but if you have time to read it let me know what you think, good or bad.

[Note that I have revised this document from the original]

[ Spoiler ]

coolgrafix
Shadowrun meets The Dresden Files meets The Matrix meets Harry Potter meets The Chronicles of Amber meets The Lord of the Rings.

Did I miss any? =)

Nicely done.
Wizard
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Jan 23 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Shadowrun meets The Dresden Files meets The Matrix meets Harry Potter meets The Chronicles of Amber meets The Lord of the Rings.

Did I miss any? =)

Nicely done.

Thanks. You got most plus an extra one I didn't know about. The Chronicles of Amber, never read it. Also Stargate inspired the Starfire bit.
Muspellsheimr
I read a small section of it, looks interesting. This is subject to possible change; I will read it later, when I am awake.
darthmord
Eh, not my cup of tea. I don't care for taking so many pieces and jumbling them together in a manner that could be perceived as a blatant rip-off. My preference is for ideas to serve as inspiration for things but not actually be all but identical.

I also don't like the HP influence. But that's just me not liking HP in SR. Again, not a slam, just voicing a personal preference.

But if it works for you, by all means go for it!
raggedhalo
It's not something I'd run or play (the word "Muggle" sets my teeth on edge; it's way too cutesy for SR, in my opinion) but you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into it. I hope it's fun for your group!
The Jake
QUOTE (darthmord @ Jan 23 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Eh, not my cup of tea. I don't care for taking so many pieces and jumbling them together in a manner that could be perceived as a blatant rip-off. My preference is for ideas to serve as inspiration for things but not actually be all but identical.

I also don't like the HP influence. But that's just me not liking HP in SR. Again, not a slam, just voicing a personal preference.

But if it works for you, by all means go for it!

What he said x2.

- J.
Falrien
An adult actually using the term "Muggle"...
Ye gods
InfinityzeN
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Jan 22 2009, 07:09 PM) *

Did I miss any? =)

Nicely done.

Warhammer 40k'ish on the Warp bit.
Wizard
QUOTE (raggedhalo @ Jan 24 2009, 12:33 AM) *
It's not something I'd run or play (the word "Muggle" sets my teeth on edge; it's way too cutesy for SR, in my opinion) but you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into it. I hope it's fun for your group!

Actually the term Muggle makes me cringe as well. Just couldn't think of a better term. Initially went with Mundane but that didn't feel right. Muggle seems to describe the effect I want. Yeah, watched too many HP films, that's what you get when you have kids. If anyone has a better term than Muggle let me know.
Wizard
QUOTE (darthmord @ Jan 24 2009, 12:19 AM) *

All my players, as well as me, love The Lord of the Rings and all are avid readers of The Dresden Files. By taking aspects from these and putting them in the campaign it brings a feeling of familiarity without me having to do the work myself. As it was aimed at them, they loved it. I was just wondering how the rest of the community would feel about it.
Wizard
QUOTE (Falrien @ Jan 24 2009, 01:35 AM) *
An adult actually using the term "Muggle"...
Ye gods

But I am just a 44 year old kid, so it's ok.

It was the best word that easily described what I was trying to get across. When I found out that it made it in the Oxford English Dictionary, amongst others, as 'a person without magical powers' it seemed appropriate.
Wizard
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Jan 24 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Warhammer 40k'ish on the Warp bit.

This one I didn't pinch, well not consciously. It’s been a long time since I played WH40k. But thinking back maybe that’s why it sounded right when I first thought of it.
Falrien
A better alternative then:
If the few are "Awakened" the others are surely "Sleepers?"
Wizard
QUOTE (Falrien @ Jan 25 2009, 09:58 AM) *

Brilliant. I do like this better. I will go back and revise the original document. Thanks.
Falrien
No worries, I am using the term in the novel I am writing.
InfinityzeN
QUOTE (Falrien @ Jan 24 2009, 05:58 PM) *

Ripping off Mage from Whitewolf there. But it works well. biggrin.gif
Method
I really like the world hidden within a world idea. Its very Lovecraftian. Or like Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere". Don't like the heavy LotR influence. Way too high fantasy for my SR. Very creative tho...
JFixer
'Master of the Universe'

No one else caught that? Sauron has the power? By the power of Greyskull?
Angier
It's like Mage - The Ascension with Technocracy vs. Traditions mixed up and spiced with some LotR and SR

I like it although I'd simplify many of the facettes down to the forementioned mixture.
Wizard
I have been having a bit of fun setting up a page dealing with Shadowrun using Google Sites. It's not all finished yet, hopefully I will get it all done next weekend.

You can download a PDF of the T'Erthal campaign setting from this page (the PDF link is at the bottom of the page).
Tomothy
I love being an adult that uses the word muggle. But other options are normals or straights?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012