Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tir Ghost
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marduc
I was thinking of creating an ex-tir ghost character, who is heavy on the infiltration and unarmed combat.

But what kind of bioware/cyberware and other goodies would such a character have.

Also how would this character tie in into the whole political situation atm?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Marduc @ Jan 23 2009, 09:34 AM) *
I was thinking of creating an ex-tir ghost character, who is heavy on the infiltration and unarmed combat.

That would be more than 600BP, then.

Just take a look at the grunt section.
raggedhalo
According to the sample grunts, you'd have:

Flare Compensation (Retinal Modification), Commlink (Response 6, System 5, Signal 3), Smartlink, Wired Reflexes 2

Plus your natural elfy low-light vision. You'd max out your Intuition and go nuts on the Stealth and Firearms Group, plus Unarmed Combat (presumably taking Carromeleg as a martial art).

If you played it as an elven supremacist, you might've left Tir Tairngire in disgust at an ork being High Prince...
Stahlseele
or use karma-gen, then you could do something that does not look too stupid i guess . .
ElFenrir
I'd probably boost up some more with muscle augmentation/toner, but I wonder if Paladin would be closer to that. karmagen can probably get you something there, but even then the Ghosts are expensive. You could get something at least resembling someone highly skilled, though.
Rotbart van Dainig
Technically, without lifting the GenCaps, you won't get a Ghost that is even on Grunt level anyway, BTW.
Grinder
QUOTE (Marduc @ Jan 23 2009, 09:34 AM) *
Also how would this character tie in into the whole political situation atm?

That's extremly difficult to answer with the sparse information available on Tir in the current timeline.
Hagga
Weren't most of them rabid elven supremacists? That would necessitate getting a decent lot of recruits in, having them trained by old ghosts and then executed once they were done, with constant brain washing to prevent the elven supremacy getting through.

Mickle5125
The elvish princes stepped down (were thrown out) because they let the economy go to hell. The Tir's Ork Prince has hired Charisma Associated, a subsidiary of Horizon, to turn the Tir's image and popularity around, and it's working. Most people now view Tir as a stable land of oportunity. At least, that's how it is inside Tir's borders.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 23 2009, 11:31 AM) *
or use karma-gen, then you could do something that does not look too stupid i guess . .

I agreed.
Also try to consider making him/her an adept.
TheOOB
You'll most likely need some excuse why your character is only a 400 BP character/750 karma, Tir Ghosts are the elite of the elite, and much more powerful then a newbie runner. Either you got accepted in for some reason with sub-par abilities, or you lost some abilities.
Glyph
Maybe the character could be a Tir ghost trainee, someone with previous experience in the peacekeeping forces. He wholeheartedly embraced the old elven supremism, only to wind up discarded with the advent of the new Tir prince, and the Tir ghosts being cut back and culled of thier more ideologically intractable specimens. This way you get some of the flavor you were looking for, and an explanation for why this character doesn't have, for example, the stealth skill group at rating: 6.
toturi
Look, so long as your PC can match the canon Tir Ghost NPC Grunt in capability, does it matter why the PC is a Tir Ghost?
Mickle5125
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 24 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Look, so long as your PC can match the canon Tir Ghost NPC Grunt in capability, does it matter why the PC is a Tir Ghost?

that's just it. The canon Tir Ghost is around 600 BP, which is sorta hard to accomplish at chargen unless it's a high-power game.
Neraph
Or you could make a Tir Ghost washout who was so angered at his dismissal he devoted his life to training. After a few years, he decided to hone his newfound skills in the most dangerous area of the world: the shadows.
toturi
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jan 25 2009, 12:38 PM) *
that's just it. The canon Tir Ghost is around 600 BP, which is sorta hard to accomplish at chargen unless it's a high-power game.

And 750 karma (which is chargen, btw) is approximately 600 BPs too.
Glyph
You can't really get the same skill set as a Tir ghost, since they have one skill group at 5 and another skill group at 6, both not reachable at char-gen, even with 750 Karma. You could, however, make up for this by taking a better assortment of 'ware than the Tir ghost's bare-bones selection, or by going the adept-with-bioware route.
Hagga
Call me crazy, but to whoever mentioned Paladins: Aren't they even more drop dead awesome than the Ghosts? I think in the TT book it's mentioned that there are about 8 of them, some of whom wear a massive amount of armour and ignore powerbolts that would shred APC's and some who wear red and are essentially ninjas. Ninjas who can make a ghost look clumsy and slow.
kzt
They are plot devices. Having the power of Plot on your side means the rules don't apply.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 25 2009, 06:46 AM) *
And 750 karma (which is chargen, btw) is approximately 600 BPs too.

Actually, 750 Karma is around 500BP - 600BP would be about 1000 Karma.

Basically, Karmagen is equivalent in BP to 400 (low) - 500 (normal) - 600 (high) - which would have been a much better choice for the main book.
Tyro
I usually see 600 Karma quoted as equivalent to 400 BP around here.
Fuchs
It depends on the build. I recalculated a 420 BP build and it came out to 595 karma.
ElFenrir
IMO, 750 Karma= roughly 500 BP. However, i've seen a 400 BP build that ended up over 800 Karma. I've also seen 400 BP builds end up between 600-700, and under 500. It's one of the reason why you don't want to mix the systems; it's too hard to gauge, especially when ONE single BP amount(400), can end up from anywhere from under 500 to over 800. WAY to big of a spread.

I've always gone by 750 Karma=475-500BP, with a +/-25 BP leeway for certain builds, since it seems like the basic ''as close to average'' as I've seen it.
JeffSz
I like the 'washed out' suggestion. He never finished training.

Alternately, you might consider making the character's parents (or one parent) an ex-ghost gone shadowrunner. That ex-ghost taught your elf character the skills and methods but your character was never actually a ghost. That would account for the lower skills. You'd then have to decide why there's not a kickass ex-ghost on your side during the game...dead, missing (missing is always good for the GM to play with), or simply gone elsewhere?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (JeffSz @ Jan 25 2009, 05:32 PM) *
I like the 'washed out' suggestion. He never finished training.

That means he's 'just' Red Samurai Level.
Hagga
I love SR4. These Criminals, through sheer willpower and testicles the size of grapefruits manage to attain levels of strength, endurance and mental acuity that makes all others look like Lesser Mortals.

Most entertaining.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 25 2009, 08:28 PM) *
I love SR4. These Criminals, through sheer willpower and testicles the size of grapefruits manage to attain levels of strength, endurance and mental acuity that makes all others look like Lesser Mortals.

Most entertaining.

Runner's immortality is quite an Edge, however it tends to burn eventualy. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 25 2009, 01:22 AM) *
Call me crazy, but to whoever mentioned Paladins: Aren't they even more drop dead awesome than the Ghosts? I think in the TT book it's mentioned that there are about 8 of them, some of whom wear a massive amount of armour and ignore powerbolts that would shred APC's and some who wear red and are essentially ninjas. Ninjas who can make a ghost look clumsy and slow.

There are two types of paladins mentioned in TT. One (paladins with a lower case 'p'), were the equivalent of policlub members dedicated to a Prince or cause. They were trained and equipped only slightly better than your average vigilante; their strength laying in their numbers. From this pool, certain talented individuals may have become 'of a higher skill set' and such due to favoritism by their sponsor, but nothing like a Ghost or even other special forces. Paladins of the proper noun variety were the elite guard of the High Prince.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012