Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fields of Fire (IC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
DWC
"How about we take an early lunch, before we move on to contract details?

<<With a complete lack of intelligence on Earth's Fury, sustained operations in a hazardous environment, and a total lack of timeframe, this is going to be a very expensive project for the Ministry. And I'm starving.>>
Dumori
"That's fine with me. Just be back by one at the latest."

<<Guys I'll meet you all at that cafe just down from here. Lilith you joining us? Also can you set your matrix chum on digging more on this group?>>
DWC
"I appreciate it. My metabolic adjustments give me quite the appetite."

DangerClose rises from his chair, collects his coat, and heads out into the hallway.

<<So, what has he let slip so far?>>
JoelHalpern
At lunch:
"Nice set of questions DC. At least we are starting to know what we will be up to.

In terms of payment, presumably it should be a fixed amount per head, per day, plus expenses. THey are going to want an envelope on expenses. If they commit to replace all Ammo I expend, then the issue in my case will be repair of and serious damage to the armor or weapons.
I don't tend to use a lot of ammo, and what I use is cheaper than the missiles DC and Lilith can throw around. They need to understand that we are NOT going to stint on firepower if the enemy shows up in force.
(tactically, if we think they are probing, we may try for point response, but that is our choice, not the Ministries.)

I do think the supplies need to include a regular set of replacement binding materials that Seraph talked bout. My worry is being attacked with overwhelming magical force. We will need significant magical resources to slow that down long enough for our conventional forces to be effective. (I really don't like throwing missiles at spirits inside our own buildings.)"
Muspellsheimr
"Pay more attention to the meeting, Tam. I didn't mention binding materials."

Seraph grins at the elf, leaning back to give a clear, full view.

"There will be plenty of time for me later"
JoelHalpern
"Right Seraph, it was Abaddon who mentioned the binding materials. In any case, we need to make sure they are covered as sconsumables, and replaced regularly."

[ Spoiler ]
DWC
Dangerclose shovels another fork full of soy curry into his tusked maw.

"Binding materials, spare parts for drones and armor, missiles, cannon rounds, grenade and mortar rounds, and pallets of light and heavy machinegun ammunition, and huge quantities of food, and fuel. Anything else we need to ensure that they provide for us?"

He takes another bite of curry.

"Typically, I would bill in thirty day blocks, with a premium for every 24 hour period involving actual combat, and a multiplier for the extreme cold, a multiplier for the radiation, and a multiplier for the remoteness of the site. As long as my overhead gets covered without interfering with my profit margin, I'm fine with however the rest of you would like to handle the little financial details.
JoelHalpern
While slowly eating the curry, Tam adds

"Gauss rifle ammo, and at a lower rate replacement power packs.
Also, some mini-grenades. I don't expect to use them often, but I am sure we will use some.

Which reminds me, we should probably allocate some ammo to joint fire exercises so that we have some practice with our various units working together."
DWC
�Sounds good. We’re going to need to do shakedown runs with all the freshly modified equipment anyway. I’m sure we can get access to an unused part of an army base out in the countryside to use as a workshop and a proving ground, if only because the Ministry will want to keep us out of London to make sure we don’t destroy anything out of boredom.�

The AR shipping manifests for the ordnance brought from Dubai snaps open in DC’s image link. Still eating, he runs down the inventory again, putting together a training operation munitions load.

“Dust, Seraph, got any special ammunition requirements, or just more cannon, gauss rifle, grenade launcher, and machinegun rounds?�
Dumori
"I'll need AV and ADPS rounds plus subsonic and may be some ex-ex."
Dust isn't eating hes just sipping a 16 shot soypersso.
"Guess I will be practicing looking at things a long way away with out moving for a long time. Oh and rigging if needed. I can rigg decently I guess. Also I need a shotgun of some type of close range work. Was thinking of a modded "
JoelHalpern
"I guess I had assumed that all the ammo (Gauss, Cannon, Machine Gun, and Rifle) needed to be AV. No point in anything lighter. I suppose we need to make that clear to the client."
DWC
"The odds of us being attacked by waves of battalions of unarmored infantry are somewhere between slim and none, so loading exclusively anti-armor munitions could prove to be wise. I generally carry a mixture of anti-armor and anti-personnel loads, but I generally fight battalions of of unarmored infantry supported by platoons of medium or heavy armor, so I generally need both. But when I'm not paying 750 nuyen every time I pull the trigger, I'll gladly load my cannon exclusively with hypersonic, high density, discarding sabot rounds for blowing holes in spirits, drones, or anything else they thow at the site. Still keeping the fragmentation and WP rounds in the grenade launcher though, even if I only use them on flocks of cheeky penguins."

The troll keeps eating. What little stiffness remained in his elbow this morning is gone, and the scratches on his face have faded dramatically.

"I do hope this afternoon's contract negotiation goes smoothly. I need to destroy something."

DangerClose smiles, briefly more feral than friendly.

Muspellsheimr
"50 caliber AV, Gel, Subsonic, Stealth Trackers, & Ringu Capsuls.
.40 Stick-n-Shock, AV, & Stealth Trackers.
Aerodynamic Frag, High-Explosive, White Phosphorous, Ekyelebenle Splash, Smoke, Thermal Smoke, & Flash Bang mini-grenades.

I think that will cover my expendables.

Dust:
[ Spoiler ]
Dumori
Seraph:
[ Spoiler ]
Mickle5125
Everyone receives a notification suddenly of an incoming AR message. Those who open it find a Terrible crow appearing in AR before them.

<<We are The Morrigan. We have seen your foes, and will aid you for so long as the Lady of Shadows stands amongst you.

We have found in our initial search that your chosen foes ply their magical skills with a cult-like fervor as they recruit from the land you have named the Native American Nations. They hid their existence well before declaring their intentions of war over the settlement you are to defend. Regardless, none can ever truly hide from Our All-Seeing Eye, and We shall find them in time.

The Lady of Shadows sends the following messages to aid in your recent discussion, as well.

Attachment: Lilith's Gear List
[ Spoiler ]

Attachment: Lilith's Shopping List
[ Spoiler ]

Have you any relevant questions, mortals?>>

The crow stand regally in AR, awaiting a reply.
DWC
DangerClose swings his obscured eyes over at the AR raven.

Carrion bird. Morbid.

He takes a quick look through Lilith’s inventory.

Convenient. Among that many drones, I will be more likely to be mistaken for an MCT Tomino.

Another plate of curry begins to vanish.

<< An overwhelming magic assault like a conjured earthquake would seem appropriate for a group who call themselves Earth’s Fury, and they wouldn’t even have to deal with being in Antarctica to do it. Other than drowning the casters in a tidal wave of napalm before they can complete their ritual, how would we stop something like that?>>
Mickle5125
<<We would suggest locating the Earth's Fury headquarters and donating the information to Lofwyr. Rumor has it that Great Dragons are easily angered when their assets and plans are threatened.>>
DWC
<<The dragon will get angry. Then he will ask an underling who is responsible for security at the site. The underling will read a contract and point out that the Ministry of Defense is responsible. Then he will place a commcall to the MoD, demanding to know what they plan to do about this threat to his company’s interest. They will answer that they hired us. Then, he will ask us why we are bothering him with this, rather than doing our job and dealing with it.>>

DangerClose finally sets down his fork, leans back in his chair, and looks around the café.

�That hit the spot, though now I could go for a nap.�

<<It might be in our best interest to have the scope of our contract expanded to conducting operations against Earth’s Fury where ever we find them. If we restrict ourselves to the Antarctic, and they launch an attack from another continent, we will still be responsible for failing to defend the site. Then, the dragon will be angry with us.>>
Mickle5125
A gryphon icon pops into existence next to the crow and raises a paw in greeting. Something tells you it's probably Lilith. Maybe it's the thought bubble over the gryphon's head stating "Being this incredibly awesome is hard work. - Lilith"

<<Or we should limit what we are expected to defend against. A clause stating that we are not responsible for defending against ritual magic striking from outside the antarctic borders, perhaps. Still a huge area to defend, but slightly more within the realms of possible. By the way, the snack bar has pomegranates! Real pomegranates! If we get screwed by the DoM, we're raiding their snackbars. They don't deserve pomegranates.>>
DWC
<<Waiving liability for damage caused by attacks launched from outside the area we are obligated to secure is definitely the easy way, but not the most profitable one.>>

Pomegranate is tasty. Nothing like some fresh fruit after a meal. The troll smacks his lips slightly at the thought of the sweet, slightly sour juice.

<<I, for one, do not like the idea of sitting idle in the snow, waiting helplessly for an enemy to decide he wishes to strike at me, hoping I am not slain in some bizarre conjured natural disaster or magical holocaust, then making excuses to a customer that I was not responsible for preventing the destruction.>>
JoelHalpern
<<While I like the idea of being able to strike first, and at our convenience ...

We need to actually find them. I am doubtful we will do so. But it is worth a try.
(If governments could easily thump these terror groups, they would. And while we may sneer at their effectiveness, they have plenty of search resources.)

More importantly, they are likely not in an area where either UK MoD or S-K have jurisdiction. That does not mean that we can not act, but it does tend to mean we will need to act rather more discretely if we find them.

In fact, if they can be found I would not be surprised if Seraph is our must effective member in putting a stop to them.>>
Mickle5125
You aren't quite sure how, but it becomes apparent that the gryphon is regally pouting.

<<Oh, sure. Forget about the meter-tall, invisible-at-will member of the group. Who just managed to break into the MoD. Without getting caught. And is attending this bloody meeting while eating pomegranate seeds she stole from the snack bar. There's no way she could handle stealth missions at all. Bloody bastard...>>
Dumori
<<Now now. Calm down I think tam means that a stealthy missson would leave a few of our teasm sat on there as hoping we screw up and they are needed. *wink*>>
DWC
<<I would never hope that you screw up just so that I can break something. Not that I will hesitate if the opportunity arises, mind you. Not that it'd matter either way, since you are both having fairly good days. Tam has been distracted all morning, and you've got the run of the Ministry.>>
Dumori
<<Guys with my main gifts to you all delayed. I was wondering are there and items you desperately need and what is your favored style of engagement. Lets see if I can get some more personalized gifts for you guys. Also we still need a name for this team.>>
DWC
<<I can't say that I have a favored style of engagement. I prefer to strike from ambush, where the initial burst of noise and destruction prevents the enemy from counterattacking effectively, and I've found that closing as quickly as possibly means that enemy forces are reluctant to deploy anti-tank weapons against me for fear of horrible friendly casualties. Nothing most of you wouldn't have guessed just from meeting me, really.>>
JoelHalpern
<<MY preference is a nice coordinated strike. Particularly one where someone like DC causes lots of mayhem and distraction, bunching up the enemy, and allowing me to take out key elements. I imagine Dust is even more effective that way. Unfortunately, my experience has been much more up close and personal, where the answer is to shoot fast and just keep moving. Which is why I have learned to do the "keep moving" part well.>>
Dumori
<<Well I try and move after every shot if I can I will like to set up a group of sniping spots before an encounter and routs to each of them that keep me out of sight of any the direction of attack. I'm picking up some target designators or indirect fire was going to give one to Seraph and my self as we are likely to be the teams spotters. Plus they can be neatly clipped to our rifles. In combat I would like to have secondary control of one indirect fire weapon so I can order a strike ASAP if needed. Also I think we might need to acquire some AA weapons. Lilith I'm stumped as to what to get you. Maybe just a funky little drone.>>
Mickle5125
They gryphon scratches its head with a paw for a moment before responding.

<<Well, if I'm being shot at, something has gone horribly wrong and we're all screwed. I prefer to avoid direct combat by any means necessary and direct my drones and whatever meat forces are present in ambushing and eliminating enemy forces with minimal losses. If you can arrange the indirect weapons, Dust, I can handle the technical side of things. I'd just need you to provide targets. As for a gift, Dusty, a couple drone repairing Lockheed Vulcan would be awesome. Or maybe a GTS Tower with a HK swarm included for it's protection. That would be great! I could be half a world away and still kick some serious ass!!!>>
DWC
<<The weapon mounted laser designators are always convenient. I tend to forgo one and just carry my own launcher, but in the interest of streamlining our guided weapons integration, I can attach one to my cannon and save my own missiles for situations where stand off weapons can not be employed. We are going to have a busy few days ahead of us. I hope they put us up a long way from anything inhabited or important.>>
Dumori
<<I think I could get us some time in a UV training node. Would save us on ammo costs and we could test out outrageous simulations. Plus I think we could try and contract time in S-Ks or Grate Britain if they have one while on the field. If you guys want I'll make the call after we sing the dotted line.>>
Mickle5125
<<You have access to a UV node? Are you shitting me? Tell me you're not shitting me, because it's not nice to get a girl's hopes up like this and then dash them. I may have to kill you for that, if you're lying.>>
Mickle5125
<<You have access to a UV node? Are you shitting me? Tell me you're not shitting me, because it's not nice to get a girl's hopes up like this and then dash them. I may have to kill you for that, if you're lying.>>
DWC
<<I agree. Not about the getting a girl's hopes up part, for obvious reasons, but I do share her enthusiasm for having access to that much raw processing power. Make the call. I don't believe for a second that a computer can accurately model the behavior of my physiology, and simulations won't help us determine whether the cold weather modifications adversely effect the function of our equipment, but it would let us do walk throughs without consuming 100,000 nuyen worth of ordnance.>>
Dumori
<<Exactly the node I'm thinking of is a training node in testing stages so it should be able to model the real world very well and last I heard they'd done a good job with magic as well. I was thinking of running a few simulations. One defense with good Intel on the force and time another defense with minimum Intel and one surprise attack. Other than that we could quite well run some more insane combats if we want. Such as an anti GD opp or low gear insertion. Hell if we plead just right I could manage stick us on the testing group. Look you don't get to my age as a shady type with out having good friends in the right places and how do you think I keep my skills up even more so do you think I did it when I had my old day job *wink* >>
DWC
<<Plead? Really? If I voluntarily plugging my brain into an experimental ultra-hot sim VR system, I am certainly not going to consider that someone has done me a favor by giving me the chance to do so. Whether I'm consulting with the designers or serving as a beta tester, they are the ones who should be either pleading or paying.>>
Dumori
<<Well Robby should give us something in return for the testing. For a few of us time in a UV combat sim is a gift my friend. Any way if we are all done eating I suggest we head back and get this contract in the bag.>>
DWC
"We should be getting back, shouldn't we? Hate to keep them waiting."

<<How finished the product is will determine who I think is doing who a favor. Not that I won't try it anyway.>>
Dumori
"Yes we should you guys all finished?"

<<Oh its pretty finished just the polishing and finding any bugs part>>
DWC
"Quite. Though I may have to stop at the snack bar for some fresh fruit."

Dumori
"Amen to that my friend."
Dust stands up and walks towards Whitehall.
DWC
The lunch check settled, DC leaves the restaurant, headed back to the Ministry of Defense.

�Dust, your friend say anything about what their opening offer would be for this project? Anyone come up with anything else at lunch that we want to be sure to bring up this afternoon?�

The denizens of Whitehall pass unnoticed as DangerClose walks, his attention focused on taking an afternoon nap and destroying something. This time, the guards aren’t shocked to see him but the thinly veiled violence brewing in his soul still sets them on edge. Even the scanner confirming that he is unarmed does not allay their caution. Fortunately, he still has an appointment, so their caution means nothing.

<<Lilith, same trick with the door again or have you found a better way into the conference room?>>
Dumori
The second meeting was uneventful. The total payment was agreed at ~250k per month with expenses and bonus any exceptional actions or more info on the the terrorist group. After singing the paperwork Dust sends a message to his old friend David.
<<Hey David. You know how you said I could help test that UV sim your working on. Well I've just got me and my merc team a job protecting a S-K base so I was wondering if you could pull a few strings and get us some time in the node? You still at the S-K London HQ? If so want meat in meat for a change?>>

"Right then guys Ive sent a commcall to my old friend so we'll soon see about that UV node. So three weeks till D-day. Any thing that you guys need to get done? Cos I'm planing on seeing my old friends with they are still with us. God bless there souls.
DWC
In the hall, DangerClose is pleased with how the contract negotiations went. The lawyers and accountants would be pleased with the little details, and the big numbers at the end would more than suffice to cover operational expenses while still leaving a respectable profit.

It promises to be a very interesting job.

“Aside from doing some polar survival adjustments to my assault armor and the follow up testing that goes with the work, my calendar is wide open. Well, not completely wide open. I am going to go take a nap, and then go inspect the bulk of my equipment to make sure it survived the customs inspection. As far as I know, you all are the only ones I know in London, so my schedule is wide open.�
crizh
I fear that by this time Weaponsmyth will have performed the necessary adjustments to your Armour and weapons. It will certainly have repaired anything that was damaged in transit.

Spirits of his magnitude bore easily, he may well have made improvements to weapons that interest him or offend his design ascetic. If you have any requests you might be able to persuade him to undertake interesting modifications if you ask nicely.

I propose to spend a good deal of the time we have Binding Spirits to provide Astral Support to our Mundane team members but that will only consume a couple of weeks of my time.

I am open to suggestions as to how to spend the other week.
JoelHalpern
Let me know when the test runs are, or any other activities I should be here for.

[ Spoiler ]
DWC
"Now you've got my attention. I do not believe anyone could do much to my cannon without it going from an assault cannon to something completely different. This could be fun."
Dumori
"I've got my new AA16 coming in soon based of a old idea I had while running. Other than that David should be sending me the pass keys for the simulation soon.
crizh
It was summer in Punto Arenas, not that you could tell this far south.

Abaddon alighted between two of the cargo warehouses on the outskirts of the Airport. His living quarters and support crew had been air-lifted from Cairo the day before and he'd flown in overnight from London. He needed some kip now but come morning he would have to get cracking on prep for the upcoming contract.

He had three weeks before the Zeppelin would arrive to lift all the shipping containers to the construction site and the work would begin in earnest. He just hoped to God this wasn't going to turn into a John Carpenter movie.

He placed a palm on the bio-metric pad and the maglock let him into the building, the familiar forms of the shipping containers he laughably called home were dotted sparsely around the empty warehouse but he could recognise his sleeping quarters in his, well, sleep.

He curled up in his bunk and drifted off almost the instant his head hit the pillow. It was purely psychological of course. As soon as he was unconscious Jean got his body up and headed of to the lab to start prepping the binding materials he was going to get through so much of. The client had provided all they needed but it was best to be prepared for every eventuality.

[ Spoiler ]

Come morning when he awoke he was back in his bunk without any clues to reveal what his body had been up to while he slept. He briefly considered hunting for breakfast but then remembered that he was living in an Airport and had a terrible allergy to anything manufactured by Rolls Royce. He settled for pop-tarts instead.

And so began three tedious weeks of wrestling with beings from the Metaplanes and enchanting the gemstones that bought their favours.

[ Spoiler ]

DWC
The husk of the Striker light tank rocked back on its’ tracks.

Nine hundred meters away, DangerClose skidded across the concrete of the decommissioned Royal Marine armor gunnery range. The cannon bucked against his shoulder as he fired another burst at the distant row of tank hulls.

Coming to a stop, he dropped to one knee, ejected the empty magazine, and slid a new one into place.

I need a belt feed.

The big troll had spent much of the last few weeks out on the gunnery range. The extra insulation added to shield him from the polar chill had slightly increased the bulk of the armor, and he wanted to be completely comfortable moving in it prior to deployment. When he wasn’t laying waste to the targets at the gunnery range, he was sprinting down the runway, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, and using the tank repair bay as an improvised weight room.

He felt ready.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012