Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some Magic Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Browncoatone
Does the Shape Water Spell work on saltwater?

Does the Shape Earth Spell work on solid stone?

If there is a Shape Plastic spell and a Shape Glass spell, should there be a Shape Metal spell or should metals be divided by element, ie Shape Copper, Shape Iron?

Would you allow these spells in your game for PC use?

Dark Zone (Environmental, Area)
Type: P • Range: LOS (A) • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
Dark Zone creates a quiet area in the electromagnetic
spectrum, damping radio and wireless signals. This spell damps all
signals in the area of effect with a Signal rating less than the hits
scored by the spellcaster, just like a jammer (p. 320, SR4).

Water to Wine (Environmental, Area)
Type: P • Range: LOS (A) • Duration: P • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 2
This area spell transforms up to 1 liter per point of caster's magic of
water into wine. The caster’s hits determine the quality of the wine;
for example 1 hit to make MadDog 20/20, whereas fine elven wines
require 4 or even 5 hits.

Shilaleagh
shape water would work on salt water yes. At it's base essence, it's still water.
Shape earth *should* work on stone as far as i am aware, i can't see any reason why not.
not sure on the shape glass etc, i don't remember seeing any but i could be wrong.

As to the spells, i think Dark Zone is replicable by something else, can't remember it's name tho. Water to Wine would be an ability of the alchemical variety, but should you want it specifically as a spell.. well, i don't really see why not. Lil like alcoholic cordial i guess?
Ryu
Shape (Material) is undefined. Shape Water should work on saltwater like Shape Metal should work on alloys.

Dark Zone is almost a copy of Interference, with the SLIGHT modification of not creating a dead giveaway (interference). I would increase the drain code by one.

Water to Wine - quality denoted by hits, yes. Choosing specific wines, no. (So 4-5 hits = tastes really good, not "is elven wine". Minor difference, unless you are looking for ways to get rich.)
raggedhalo
Dark Zone is surely a sustained version of the Pulse spell from Street Magic?
Tachi
I'd probably rule that Shape Earth would work on metals also, that is their origin after all; unless the caster has a tradition that specifically separates earth from metals in the elements. For example, I don't remember where but there is a real life tradition somewhere that uses: Air, Fire, Water, and Metal. But hey, that's just me. Otherwise, what they ^^ said.
masterofm
Most spells that physically change something into something else is generally sustained. I would deem it workable as a multi-sense illusion sustained spell. That wine goes down smooth, but turns to water in your stomach. It would be a wonderful little spell especially if you wanted to stay sober, but enjoy some amazing wine (also could be some good trickery for a face mage.)

Shape earth, shape water, shape whatever would require an OR test. I would more rule this as a Wreck/demolish - (blank) kind of spell. Specific tests would be required, and I personally would avoid shape metal for the ways that it can be potentially abused. Changing the drain code by +1 or +2 would do it I think. It would also need to beat an OR test.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Tachi @ Jan 27 2009, 12:44 PM) *
I'd probably rule that Shape Earth would work on metals also, that is their origin after all; unless the caster has a tradition that specifically separates earth from metals in the elements. For example, I don't remember where but there is a real life tradition somewhere that uses: Air, Fire, Water, and Metal. But hey, that's just me. Otherwise, what they ^^ said.

You are probably refering to the Wuxing tradition (no it's not called as the AAA-corp, it's the other way around), its pratictioners (wujens) base the matter around five basic elements: Earth, Water, Fire, Wood and Metal (no air, breathing is for wimps).
Tachi
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 27 2009, 05:00 PM) *
You are probably refering to the Wuxing tradition (no it's not called as the AAA-corp, it's the other way around), its pratictioners (wujens) base the matter around five basic elements: Earth, Water, Fire, Wood and Metal (no air, breathing is for wimps).

I thought it was probably the Chinese.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Tachi @ Jan 30 2009, 01:00 PM) *
I thought it was probably the Chinese.

It is, both the tradition and the corp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012