Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voice Modulator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
marinco
So I am looking at the voice modulator on pg. 331 of SR4 core rule book and it says that the user can enhance their voice up to 100 decibels without exhaustion. Does that mean it is raised an additional 100 from the standard of about 65dB which is a normal conversation. Then...if it is only raised to 100dB without exhaustion...can it be raised even higher with some strain?

So lets say with some strain we get it up to around 140-150dB. Could it then be used as a weapon since 140dB is painful and up to the 180-190 range is instant death of hearing tissue?

Then...if it -can- be used as a weapon, what would its stats be?

Thanks for the future input smile.gif
GreyBrother
You want to kill yourself with it?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (marinco @ Jan 28 2009, 02:22 AM) *
So I am looking at the voice modulator on pg. 331 of SR4 core rule book and it says that the user can enhance their voice up to 100 decibels without exhaustion. Does that mean it is raised an additional 100 from the standard of about 65dB which is a normal conversation. Then...if it is only raised to 100dB without exhaustion...can it be raised even higher with some strain?

So lets say with some strain we get it up to around 140-150dB. Could it then be used as a weapon since 140dB is painful and up to the 180-190 range is instant death of hearing tissue?

Then...if it -can- be used as a weapon, what would its stats be?

Thanks for the future input smile.gif

I think the intent of the Voice Modulator was to raise the user's voice to 100 dB, and not raise it by 100 dB. Also you have to remember, the person with this would have to have a LOT of cyberware in his head to not hurt himself with this stunt. I'm thinking if you have a cyberskull then you MIGHT be able to pull this off... MAYBE! On the other hand, this is about as subtle as an nuclear weapon.
Hagga
You'd make a great distraction though. "Lots of runners! Sinless ones! Trolls! Over here! Not heavily armed, either! Great for brutalising and arresting!" Loud enough to be heard clear to the other side of Seattle.
marinco
Well then it would be a good distraction, T-Rex/Dragon voice recording anyone? lol
KarmaInferno
I am suddenly reminded of the sonic guys from Condemned 2.

Making people's heads explode by screaming at them.

smile.gif

And I suddenly want to create a gang of changelings with "lethal" genetic changes...like the ability to direct a sonic attack by screaming at someone, cat-like combat monster with claws and, of course, a shiva armed samurai...

Running around the Barrens or maybe in a gang war with the Night Hunters...

Wow, this is totally off topic. Oh well, already started, might as well finish...

On the weaponized voice front...wasn't there a sonic gun in SR3?
Hagga
The Screecher is an exotic weapon in Arsenal that causes stun damage.
Stahlseele
yeah, and i still say that with the right kind of implants, you could have a built in screecher in your voice . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012