Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bio-drone Beetles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Beetle
I was trolling Gizmodo this morning and came across a great little article about DARPA rigging a bunch of electronics to a beetle and flying it around the room like an r/c airplane. Bio-drones here we come!

http://i.gizmodo.com/5141750/scientists-de...-cyborg-beetles
AllTheNothing
Creepy; I think this bugger (pun intended) have the potential of being ideal vectors for sensors, they would bring the nickname of hidden sensors (bugs) to a whole new level.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 29 2009, 05:45 PM) *
Creepy; I think this bugger (pun intended) have the potential of being ideal vectors for sensors, they would bring the nickname of hidden sensors (bugs) to a whole new level.

Drone mosquitoes infected with VITAS IV? A mercenary's nightmare, a living, invisible mine field.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jan 31 2009, 12:08 AM) *
Drone mosquitoes infected with VITAS IV? A mercenary's nightmare, a living, invisible mine field.

It's safer using poison, or maybe using the bug as a mana hazard.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jan 30 2009, 06:08 PM) *

Who ever did this would be on the drek list of EVERYONE! Nowhere in the world would be safe for them.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Jan 30 2009, 05:27 PM) *
It's safer using poison, or maybe using the bug as a mana hazard.
How about as target designators? "Waiter, there's a fly in my -" boom!
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 5 2009, 05:38 AM) *
How about as target designators? "Waiter, there's a fly in my -" boom!

A mana hazard is a creature or object that can potentialy be subject to targeting by ritual sorcery; so yes the beattle could be considered a target designator, just guide it near the intended target and blast it with a stun/mana/power-ball. But the applications are much greater than that, just think a powerball bettle into a mainframe (THAT is a computer-bug), or a Mob Mind into a commercial center, or an influence spell (you DO want some NERPS); in Cyberpirates there is reported an attack on an undersea arcology using manahazards: it was done by smuggling into the arcology animals that were mana hazards and targetting at them a spell that sucked the air out the arcology.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 5 2009, 08:21 AM) *
...in Cyberpirates there is reported an attack on an undersea arcology using mana hazards: it was done by smuggling into the arcology animals that were mana hazards and targetting at them a spell that sucked the air out the arcology.

Wasn't that in Target:Wastelands? (They used to call them ritual links, but I guess mana hazard works.)
Kanada Ten
I wonder if mosquitoes could be used to spread vaccines.
Fix-it
anything that could be used to spread a virus, assuming the vaccine is in a viral form.
The Jake
I'm working on biodrone sharks for an aquatic based arcology in my game....

- J.
The Jake
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 31 2009, 01:37 AM) *
Who ever did this would be on the drek list of EVERYONE! Nowhere in the world would be safe for them.

Winternight would have.

- J.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 5 2009, 04:28 PM) *
Wasn't that in Target:Wastelands? (They used to call them ritual links, but I guess mana hazard works.)

eek.gif ... Oh that's what happens posting late at night. Yes you are right that incident is reported in Target: Wastland; I didn't want to shuffle trought the books and Cyberpirates came to my mind due to the sea theme.
By the way I've used the term manahazard because in Arsenal there are a class of items called "Manahazard Containment Device" (p.66, under the Manatech chapter); I think that "ritual link" is used to refere to that link that must be mantained betwen the magician(s) that performes ritual sorcery and the target, be it an astral spotter, a material link or a simpatetic link (there is another reason: ritual link is for targetting the intended target directly, you cast directly on the target, a manahazard is to target it indirectly, you cast on the manahazard to catch the target into the effect).
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (The Jake @ Feb 6 2009, 06:36 AM) *
Winternight would have.

- J.

Winternight ARE on everyone's drecklist; sadly their subdole way of converting people means that they are still able to aquire new member (well, it dependes how much informations the corporate court has been able to extract from the bitch's head and how hard they have been able to strike the organization).
The Jake
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 6 2009, 09:39 AM) *
Winternight ARE on everyone's drecklist; sadly their subdole way of converting people means that they are still able to aquire new member (well, it dependes how much informations the corporate court has been able to extract from the bitch's head and how hard they have been able to strike the organization).

Aren't they now exinct? My reading of System Failure suggests they are all but wiped out. Except for perhaps one or two nacent cells (ie. GM discretion).

- J.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (The Jake @ Feb 6 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Aren't they now exinct? My reading of System Failure suggests they are all but wiped out. Except for perhaps one or two nacent cells (ie. GM discretion).

- J.

weren't there rumors about Horizon headbutting with them?
In my opinion they are better to be extint; lets leave the past threats past and lets face something new, as recurring threats there are the Azzies & Co., the Human Nation (with the fall of Saito, the reformes carried out by the Emperor in Japan, the indipendence of the Philippines, the advent of Horizon and the transhumanism they have taken a serious hit but they aren't going to give up anytime soon), the Vatican that doesn't move yet and nobody knows what it has up to its sleaves, the dragons with their bikering and the dissonants that with the wireless matrix are stronger than ever; a bounch os psychopaths that want to cause the apocalipse by destroying the matrix is something that doesn't fit in the context.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012