Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cola add show what AR could look like
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ahammer
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid8795737001

made me think of shadowrun... or maybe im nuts..

think it maybe both
BookWyrm
No, it's actually a good example. There are others, if you look for them;

In the movie Iron Man, the 'holo-displays' inside Stark's helmet are another example of AR overlay.
There are multiple examples in the anime series Ghost In The Shell, especially when the characters are communicating to one another via a secured comm-link.

I'd post a few more, but none come to mind at the moment. I'll update this later.
ahammer
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jan 30 2009, 10:57 PM) *
In the movie Iron Man, the 'holo-displays' inside Stark's helmet are another example of AR overlay.
There are multiple examples in the anime series Ghost In The Shell, especially when the characters are communicating to one another via a secured comm-link.

seem to be more of hud then AR really. if I recall all that you have listed right.
Sir_Psycho
Anyone played EA's Dead Space? The inventory system, media player, locator and HUD (though it's not really a HUD) are brilliant examples of AR.
ahammer
ya I think that would be a good AR sample I think..

ar = to the viewer look like a real object in space

hud = overlay data on to the user does not have any real depth to it.

aro's = fit somewhere in between

thats how I see things anyway.
MYST1C
QUOTE (ahammer @ Jan 31 2009, 07:14 AM) *
seem to be more of hud then AR really.

That's the point - a HUD is a form of AR!
Reality is augmented with overlayed HUD data. Voila, Augmented Reality.
hobgoblin
another good example, and one that was mentioned here before, is the anime series, denno (dennou?) coil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn%C5%8D_Coil

a perfect example given in the first episode, where the main character lifts her glasses to check if something is real or virtual wink.gif

and that video was just funny. especially the ending with the wow orc wink.gif
ludomastro
Nice. Thanks for the video clip. Something I can show my players ... if we ever get down with Spycraft 2.0.
JFixer
Brilliant. Perfect example of what Avatar Customization is used for.

Welcome to NuYu, By Horizon.
Earlydawn
Reality Filter, no?

And yeah, the RIG in Dead Space is an awesome example of AR in action.
crash2029
Eh. Call me old-fashioned but I still like the Deus Ex version of AR. The HUD. When you get close to something and focus on it you see its RFId ARO telling what it is. Targeting aug=smartlink. Augmentations. AI's. Conspiracies. Multi-national corporations. I realize the last three were setting, not AR. Sue me.
Sir_Psycho
Deus ex's catchall "nanites did it" makes you wonder why you can't get a distributed nano-commlink, nano-simrig, nano-encephalon, etc. it worked for JC's infolink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012