Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shooting at vehicles and through barriers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
Hi all,

Simple situation but it tripped me up at my groups meeting tonight:

Guard short-bursts a AK-97 (3-hits) into a GMC Bulldog (AR=8, BOD=16). My first thought was to grant the players 8+16 soak dice but I got to thinking the DV might be lower after it rips through the car's hide. The -2 Pool dice for dodge for being in a vehicle made sense here.

Then I started to think it worked like: 6-hits (AR=8, BOD=16=24/4=6) reduce the attacks DV by 6 and since it penetrates (DV>8) the players inside would need to react and soak as normal.

Help my fogged brain decipher this!

*Bonus points* - Add a F5 magical Physical Barrier between the AK and the car.

~Mucho gracias.
raggedhalo
In the first example, the player rolls their own Body + Armour + the vehicle's Armour. If the Power of the attack is 8 or less then it does no damage, because the vehicle's armour is hardened.
Jhaiisiin
Also remember to use the base damage + hits to determine penetration, but don't include the burst modifier.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Feb 3 2009, 01:40 PM) *
Also remember to use the base damage + hits to determine penetration, but don't include the burst modifier.
I suppose I am looking for someone to show me how'd they resolve this, my head is going in a few directions. cyber.gif
FriendoftheDork
IIRC, you either shoot at a vehicle or fire at the people inside the vehicle.

The attack is treated similarily, except in the latter case the body of the vehicle is meaningless - a giza size pyramid made of glass doesen't protect people within it much more than a glass sheet.

Armor works on both cases, and is hardened i.e if the power of the attack (not counting bonus to damage from burst fire or called shot) is not greater than hardened armor, the attack simply bounces off.

If the attacks penetrates, the armor of the vehicle (+AP modifier) gives extra bonus dice to either the vehicle's DR test or the target person(s) inside the vehicle. Thus anyone riding inside a GMC bullfrog is fairly well protected, especially if they have personal body armor as well.

These rules assumes that vehicles have weak spots, if a bunch of guards, or a gun adept with 20+ dice is firing at a tank with regular AK-ammo you might as well assume that the attacks automatically fails IMHO.
Jhaiisiin
Say a character is firing at a vehicle with a 5p base damage weapon. He scores a net 3 hits on his roll, and stages the damage up to 8p. Regardless of if this is a single shot, burst or full auto attack, the Base damage + Net Hits determines the damage value vs armor situation. If the vehicle's armor is less than that value, then the attack penetrates the armor, and the occupants inside get to roll their Body + Personal Armor + vehicle armor to resist the damage. If the vehicle armor rating is equal to or higher than damage value of the attack, then it doesn't penetrate at all, instead bouncing harmlessly off.

Hope that helps you.
GrinderTheTroll
Ah yes. I've read and played these rules 100 times and yet draw a blank now and then. Thanks for the details!

Mucho gracias all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012