Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate my group!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
moosegod
So, my team decides to take their minisub on a bit of a smuggling trip.

First they take 3k nuyen.gif of sugar to the Trans-Polar Aleut. Then they run free snow from there to Australia.

Then they do some complicates shuffling between Australia and the Philipines during the eruptions and general devastation.

And wind up with something like 6.5 million nuyen.gif

To split among three people.
RangerJoe
Just out of curiousity, why haul snow? Filling the sub with liquid water (melted snow) would let you haul more water per cubic meter to the parched downunder. You can still call it "Snow" brand pirated water, afterall. smile.gif
Ancient History
You did remember that they had to Fence the goods (30%+ negotiation), and through in a few little encounters like other smugglers, border patrols, local crime and paracritters?
FlakJacket
A mini-sub from TPA to Oz? What's the endurence on one of those things?

And if you want to mix things up a little, intoroduce border patrols, naval vessels on maneuver/war games or patrol, the ever-popular kraken attack or other paracritter attack, or simply other pirates out to nick their cargo and or submarine.
moosegod
Don't worry, they had some... trouble.

And they did melt the snow before they packed it in.

And I can't really charge them 70% of the sale price when they are selling legal goods.

Now they are hopelessly confused about what to do with this cash.
Fortune
If they are 'selling legal goods' legally, then they are not smuggling. Of course, that would entail that all the proper paperwork is filled out and levies and taxes are fully accounted for. If this isn't the case, then the are not selling the goods legally, and so do not deserve to receive full price for them.
Sunday_Gamer
KONG TO THE RESCUE!!!

I think they should dump a good 6 million into the account of one mister William Magila, SIN# 34212357356300-354. I think that's probably the best course of action, trust me.

Kong
Kagetenshi
Send them into the Arcology. They'll spend all that and more coming out the other side alive.

~J
FlakJacket
QUOTE (moosegod)
Now they are hopelessly confused about what to do with this cash.

Retire? That's enough for two permanent high lifestyles and a fancy car each. A home in Seattle and another somewhere exotic like Hawai'i or the Carib League would more than satisfy most of my ex-PC's. They've all mostly been retired after reaching the one million mark- except the ones that were usually fighting for a cause or belief.

But of course, that does kind of end the game for them so they might not want that. smile.gif
BitBasher
Yep, if the runners have half a brain the game's over.
Joker9125
how about them buying a banshe?
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (moosegod)
they take 3k nuyen.gif of sugar to the Trans-Polar Aleut.

Bulk sugar in the USA was about 6 cents a pound wholesale last year. 3k nuyen.gif of sugar, at comparable rates, is about 50,000 lbs.
Zazen
Have them all wake up from their recent six-million-dollar-score dream sequence. Just make sure you're not depending on a ride home or anything like that wink.gif
grendel
You know, if I found out that a group of smugglers just pulled off a major score and were rolling in cash, I might just decide to pay them a visit and relieve them of that burden.
Fortune
QUOTE (grendel)
You know, if I found out that a group of smugglers just pulled off a major score and were rolling in cash, I might just decide to pay them a visit and relieve them of that burden.

Especially if you are also a group of smugglers, and the upstarts are poaching your turf.
Joker9125
hell for 6 million nuyen.gif my char. can and would kill them and take the cash.
Tiralee
Ohhh - I know a lot of people who'd kill your runners for 60K, nail their heads to a Lonestar patrol car then send the rest to various relatives.

Money, especially huge, sudden, "how the hell did they?" sums of money makes more problems faster than an Troll on a Kam binge.

Firstly - they're in a foreign nation? Forget having friends. It's an all-you-can-gouge with knife, shovel and rammer.

2 - Time to buy up some new ID's and lifestyles. And a new town and/or nation to live in. (Yeah, like the mean streets are going to be safe once the word hits that your runners are rolling in more funds than they know what to do with.)

3- Expenses! Nothing burns money faster than characters trying to improve themselves.

Got a mage? He's now got the chance to finally get that "Fry-me-good" foci. And maybe find a reputable group to iniatiate with.

Sammy? -Bring on the cyber/training/toys...and all associated cost therein.

Rigger? Hell, they'd go through that much just updating the pretty toys. And the permits/StreetIndicies. And the bribes....

Face? Time to see how popular a fool with money can really be.

Look, maybe they lucked out, and scored large. It CAN happen.

(Reminds me of the time we cleaned out a bunch of gangers (30+, wetwork.) only to find a couple of million worth of BTL's in the warehouse.
After bribes, transport and burning % recovery bonuses like methane just to move the stuff, we managed to get a couple of hundred thousand, a 4 month holiday and some seriously torqued dealers/gangers/distributers/standover types.
Thankfully, everyone played it smart and decided no profile would be better than a corpse nailed to the wall with certified credsticks.)

Just remember the mantra of the Bastard DM - "Those with the best toys get smacked out of principle and have them taken away from them."

L:
toturi
QUOTE (Tiralee)
Just remember the mantra of the Bastard DM - "Those with the best toys get smacked out of principle and have them taken away from them."

L:

Unless your players got smart and spent it discretely. OOPS... if you are simply being a BASTARD, then I think you'll run out of players pretty soon.
Daishi
Something shiny. With a hull rating, perhaps?
moosegod
They looked at a medium commerical sub.

We built it, and even with the prototype rules, it was 22 mil.

Anyways, they were running cyberdecks from the Philipenes to Australia then food and water back. Moreorless. Throw in some hostages from their combat as well.

And I don't need help in taking their money. I have that all ready to go.

I just wanted to complain. cool.gif cool.gif
spotlite
QUOTE (OurTeam @ Jan 7 2004, 05:19 AM)
QUOTE (moosegod @ Jan 6 2004, 07:36 PM)
they take 3k  nuyen.gif of sugar to the Trans-Polar Aleut.

Bulk sugar in the USA was about 6 cents a pound wholesale last year. 3k nuyen.gif of sugar, at comparable rates, is about 50,000 lbs.

Sugar will be more expensive by 2060 cos of artificial sweeteners and the general problems growing, well, anything in enough quantity. Artificial sweetners aren't sugar though. Sugar is something else. 3k of it is still gonna be a lot, but what's 50,000lbs in real money (i.e. kg, which is what all the load ratings are measured in)? I'm pretty sure there are a couple of pounds to a kilo, so that's down to 25000kg load at max. Eminently possible within the rules if you know what you're doing. Possibly not in a mini sub though, with the CF involved.

And in a mini sub, with that much weight, manoeverability and inertia are gonna be a bitch. And just loading it through the hatch would take a day or so - and during that day whoever's loading has to lift 25 thousand kilos of sugar...

Whatever, Moose, I know exactly where you're coming from mate, I really do. And I too, have plans in motion with my group...
Kagetenshi
When you're talking T-PA or any other arctic/antarctic-area settlement, sugar becomes worth a lot more on that end than wherever you're shipping it from.

~J
moosegod
I just threw out a number per kilo.

I forget what is was, now.

Not like it mattered in the end.
JackWill
first thing i would do.. buy new drums for my character.. i keep breaking the skins.... They need ot make troll strength skins that sound just a good! biggrin.gif

Then upgrade my deck...

Thenupgrade my rides.. i got quite a few of them! grinbig.gif
Tiralee
Unless your players got smart and spent it discretely. OOPS... if you are simply being a BASTARD, then I think you'll run out of players pretty soon.

Actually - they did. And I run as a character. So when I invoke "Bastard DM!" it's for a good reason.

Like trying to explain, again, to a player why he couldn't fit a harpoon gun to his Suzuki Aurora.

(-yeha, sure, build it up around a harpoon gun if you want with Rigger 3, I just don't allow people to bolt it on, eh?)

Hell, if thay've made that much money, get some decent cyber - the costs involved in that are hidious enough to suck up a good chunk of what's left after they decide to coat their vehicles in Dikote.

L;
gknoy
QUOTE (Tiralee)
Hell, if thay've made that much money, get some decent cyber - the costs involved in that are hidious enough to suck up a good chunk of what's left after they decide to coat their vehicles in Dikote.

Or Orichalcum ...

the new SR bling-bling? wink.gif

That's gotta give you like negative concealability, tho, as it pretty much screams, "I have WAY too much money to waste!" wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012