Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Martial Arts Maneuvers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ElFenrir
Wondering if some folks here ever came up with their own maneuvers, and why. I had come up with the idea for one awhile ago, but finally got around to finishing it.

-Lunging Punch
Character is good at making the most out of their punches. Gain +1 reach to punching attacks.

Reason? So we get some goddamn martial arts variety. biggrin.gif Now-I'm guilty too; i'm not trying to exclude myself. But I got to thinking-I've used the kicking styles on my guys for a long time(hell, since SR2), simply because I like the way many of them look in practice. Also, for practical reasons(my guy has a weapon in his hand, whatever). But I was thinking-why should you have to basically take a kicking style to get a combat advantage? Besides, this is one of those maneuvers that, since it came, that's all I seem to see anymore is kicking styles. It's one thing to take it because you LIKE the style, but I think 1 out of every 20 unarmed concepts I see actually utilizes other blows. Hell, when SR4 came out, I saw this and was like ''damn, I just took the kicking styles before because they were cool, and now, 2 editions later, I get a benefit!'' My friend, on the other hand, with his poor boxer, did not get such a benefit.

This evens the score. Now, anyone can use whatever style they want and get Reach bonuses. If you want to pay for both? Great, you get your +1 on punches and kicks, and at least you took a style you genuinely like at that point, instead of saying ''yeah, my dood kicks a lot because I get +1 reach on that.''

I didn't want to take out kick attack-because it *does* make sense. Legs are quite long and can be utilized to hit further away. But I've seen some boxers with some INSANE reach, and they were fairly normal sized humans. So why shouldn't they have a maneuver, too?

So yeah, have any of you come up with new maneuvers, or tweaked older ones?
Kev
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Feb 4 2009, 12:01 PM) *
Wondering if some folks here ever came up with their own maneuvers, and why. I had come up with the idea for one awhile ago, but finally got around to finishing it.

-Lunging Punch
Character is good at making the most out of their punches. Gain +1 reach to punching attacks.

Reason? So we get some goddamn martial arts variety. biggrin.gif Now-I'm guilty too; i'm not trying to exclude myself. But I got to thinking-I've used the kicking styles on my guys for a long time(hell, since SR2), simply because I like the way many of them look in practice. Also, for practical reasons(my guy has a weapon in his hand, whatever). But I was thinking-why should you have to basically take a kicking style to get a combat advantage? Besides, this is one of those maneuvers that, since it came, that's all I seem to see anymore is kicking styles. It's one thing to take it because you LIKE the style, but I think 1 out of every 20 unarmed concepts I see actually utilizes other blows. Hell, when SR4 came out, I saw this and was like ''damn, I just took the kicking styles before because they were cool, and now, 2 editions later, I get a benefit!'' My friend, on the other hand, with his poor boxer, did not get such a benefit.

This evens the score. Now, anyone can use whatever style they want and get Reach bonuses. If you want to pay for both? Great, you get your +1 on punches and kicks, and at least you took a style you genuinely like at that point, instead of saying ''yeah, my dood kicks a lot because I get +1 reach on that.''

I didn't want to take out kick attack-because it *does* make sense. Legs are quite long and can be utilized to hit further away. But I've seen some boxers with some INSANE reach, and they were fairly normal sized humans. So why shouldn't they have a maneuver, too?

So yeah, have any of you come up with new maneuvers, or tweaked older ones?

I like it. But you know, in SR4, a boxer can take "Kick" as a maneuver. nyahnyah.gif
InfinityzeN
Hell, just call "Kick" Lunge and your good.
ElFenrir
Lunge sounds even better. You get +1 reach to your unarmed attacks.

Broken? Not at all. Kick Attack ends up being all people take anyway, so it's not like they never get the bonus unless they are in a small car(and Lunge wouldn't work then, either.)

Abschalten
Kick Attack isn't quite the beast it was in SR3. It's nice if you really want to get another die on your attack, or reduce the opponent's defense, but there are better Maneuvers now.
Sir_Psycho
I wouldn't mind tweaking Kick a little to separate it from lunge.

In addition to the +1 reach, you get a +1 on knockdown tests as well. To balance it out, I'd suggest a disadvantage added. Either a -1 on your next melee defense test (being on one foot is a pretty easy way to get put down) or maybe a -2 to called shots above the stomach (kicking some-one in the head is hard).

Windpipe Attack
Call a shot to the windpipe to temporarily impair the opponent's ability to breathe. On a successful attack, the defender recieves a -1 DP modifier on all aerobic physical actions, including the close combat and athletics skill groups. If the DV exceeds the target's body, then the characters windpipe has been crushed, and in addition to the negative DP modifier, the defender will start to take unresisted stun damage after 8 combat turns -net hits, see p.119 SR4 for details on holding breath. The windpipe can be opened again with a sucessful First Aid (4) test.

That was just off the top of my head, so it's probably terrible.
Sir_Psycho

In addition to the +1 reach, you get a +1 on knockdown tests as well. To balance it out, I'd suggest a disadvantage added. Either a -1 on your next melee defense test (being on one foot is a pretty easy way to get put down) or maybe a -2 to called shots above the stomach (kicking some-one in the head is hard).

Windpipe Attack
Call a shot to the windpipe to temporarily impair the opponent's ability to breathe. On a successful attack, the defender recieves a -1 DP modifier on all aerobic physical actions, including the close combat and athletics skill groups. If the DV exceeds the target's body, then the characters windpipe has been crushed, and in addition to the negative DP modifier, the defender will start to take unresisted stun damage after 8 combat turns -net hits, see p.119 SR4 for details on holding breath. The windpipe can be opened again with a sucessful First Aid (4) test.

Faceplant (working title)
A martial artist is hard, but the sprawl is harder. The Faceplant maneuver allows an attacker who has made a successful Subdue attack to attempt to smash their opponents head into environmental objects, such as walls, cars, dumpsters, windows, burning braziers, a protruding nail, another opponent, etc. The DV and proximity of environmental objects are determined by the GM. The attacker takes a -BOD/2+1 DP modifier, and net hits stage damage as per normal.

Those were just off the top of my head, so they're probably terrible.
crash2029
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Feb 5 2009, 12:50 AM) *

Windpipe Attack

Faceplant (working title)
A martial artist is hard, but the sprawl is harder. The Faceplant maneuver allows an attacker who has made a successful Subdue attack to attempt to smash their opponents head into environmental objects, such as walls, cars, dumpsters, windows, burning braziers, a protruding nail, another opponent, etc. The DV and proximity of environmental objects are determined by the GM. The attacker takes a -BOD/2+1 DP modifier, and net hits stage damage as per normal.

Those were just off the top of my head, so they're probably terrible.

Someone recently saw Taken.

Locking Block: The defender must go on Full Defense. If the defender scores more net hits than the attacker, the defender may initiate an immediate subduing attack on the attacker.

Backhand: The attacker backhands their opponent, the extra momentum of the attack increases the chance for knockdown. If the attackers net hits + strength exceed the defenders, the defender is knocked prone in addition to damage recieved.

Leopard Strike: By narrowing the point of impact from a full fist to the curled fingers, this strike allows for greater precision in attacks. The attacker gains a +1 to called shot attacks with this strike.

Elbow/Knee Strikes: The elbows and knees are harder and pointy-er than the hands or feet. Though to use them effectively one must close to a short distance. -1 reach, Str/2+1S DV

Head Butt: By striking the face of the opponent with one's own forehead one can cause the opponents eyes to water, the nose to break, and profuse bleeding. The strike of berserkers and semi-suicidal cops the successful use of the Head Butt maneuver inflicts a -1 dice pool modifier to the opponents next action in addition to normal damage.
Rad
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 4 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Someone recently saw Taken.

*snip*

Leopard Strike: By narrowing the point of impact from a full fist to the curled fingers, this strike allows for greater precision in attacks. The attacker gains a +1 to called shot attacks with this strike.

*snip*

Someone recently read Richard Dragon. biggrin.gif

Given how the move worked though, I'd think it would be a DV bonus, or a bonus on called shots to increase damage.
crash2029
QUOTE (Rad @ Feb 5 2009, 03:58 AM) *
Someone recently read Richard Dragon. biggrin.gif

Given how the move worked though, I'd think it would be a DV bonus, or a bonus on called shots to increase damage.

I just said a basic called shot bonus because the move could be used to target unarmored/vulnerable spots instead of precision damage.

Swinging Kick: This maneuver allows the attacker to gain charging bonuses in confined areas as long as there is something overhead or on the wall to swing from (e.g. pipe, grating, random tube-like projection from the wall, ect).

Axehandle: This maneuver consists of striking downward with the forearm on the victims exposed neck. It confers a +1 dice pool modifier to called shots for extra damage. If performed on a stunned/grappled/unaware enemy (GM's discretion), if the net hits + strength exceed the targets body, the target is rendered unconsious for 2d6-body minutes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012