Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Networks and IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nexushound
Network Security...a must have for any team running the shadows. But is it just me or do the options for protecting a drone network in SR4 seem more like a dull disposable instead of bleeding edge? Take a look at the sample Drone Rigger SR4. Any bushleauge hacker with even a moderalty hot Stealth prog could waltz in, snatch his dones and the rigger would'nt even know it hapended till his AR feed from his drones on overwatch suddenly cuts out. Even if he did know it was coming he doesnt even have the skills to protect himself in a VR fight.
So I have some questions for my Hot-Sim addicted, VR 24/7 friends out there? Can you run IC on a drone network? Can a drone have a resident Analyze prog running? Can you run Agents with the attack and armor progs in a Drone?
Warlordtheft
Yes, they can. A drone is effectively a node, and you can load it up with IC. Keep in mind Autosofts and the programs the IC are running limit its response. Though I'm not sure what the system rating of the node is (my guess is the pilot rating).

And this is why the archetypes in the BBB, while good for noobs are usually deficient in one form or another.
Nexushound
Cool, I thought as much. Well that will add a little excitement next time my groups Hacker decides to hack the oppositions drone network. Good point about the response time being reduced. I did a little research and found more info on Device/Software ratings.
Drones are considered to have a device rating that determines the standard matrix attributes. Device ratings come in Standard 3, Security 4 or Mil-Spec.5. Pilot rating is a seperate stat and is not considered part of the device rating. Individual Response, System, Firewall and Signal rating can be upgraded as normal.
Jaid
note that a drone's pilot rating is also it's system and firewall rating, and will therefore potentially cause it's matrix ratings to differ from standard for the type of device (ie a security drone will have response and signal 4, but likely only a rating 3 pilot standard... though it's an easy upgrade, for sure)
crizh
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 10 2009, 02:41 AM) *
note that a drone's pilot rating is also it's system and firewall rating

Source?
Jaid
QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 10 2009, 01:01 PM) *
Source?

hmmm... my bad. can't find it *explicitly* stated for drones. it is however explicity stated for agents, and imo implied from it (but you are of course entitled to your own opinion of whether it's implied or not)

BBB page 227, under agents. "Agents have their own built-in Firewall attribute, equal to their Pilot rating."
GreyBrother
Drones aren't matrix devices. So we use the Device Rating for their matrix rating instead of pilot.
Jaid
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Feb 11 2009, 07:11 AM) *
Drones aren't matrix devices. So we use the Device Rating for their matrix rating instead of pilot.

could you rephrase that? as far as i can tell, you just said they aren't devices, therefore they follow the rules for devices...
Nexushound
Drones are considered to have a device rating that determines the standard matrix attributes. Device ratings come in Standard 3, Security 4 or Mil-Spec.5. Pilot rating is a seperate stat and is not considered part of the device rating. Individual Response, System, Firewall and Signal rating can be upgraded as normal.
GreyBrother
Exactly what he said, thank you. smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Nexushound @ Feb 11 2009, 04:44 PM) *

pilot does replace system, actually.

but thank you for clarifying what he meant.
GreyBrother
pilot does replace system, actually.

Can i get a page number for this? I flipped through the BBB but it seems that it slipped my old eyes.
Ryu
Pilot Programs, pg. 214 main book (German, page reference may vary).

I think that Pilot programs shouldn´t come with build-in firewall, since they (unlike agents/IC) are a kind of device-bound system, and have a node firewall.
ICPiK
Aint no thang my Attack prog cant handle...maaannnnn!

MIX

"I shot the sheriff"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012