Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sentient Clones in SR Canon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HardSix
I know that as of 207x, clones have been used for organ harvesting for decades, and now there is a PC quality in RunComp to be a clone. Have any of the sourcebooks, modules, or novels included a clone (or clones) becoming sentient and living their own life (not including cyborgs cyber.gif with cloned brains)?
Ancient History
Not unless you count the Superkids. Which, y'know, even I would like to forget ever happened. Ever.
Blackpool
Okay, I hate to ask but Ah made me curious. What are the Superkids?
Jaid
QUOTE (Blackpool @ Feb 9 2009, 09:09 PM) *
Okay, I hate to ask but Ah made me curious. What are the Superkids?

sounds like nobody is likely to be able to remember =P
Ancient History
From the novel Tails You Lose. A government project into a group of clones (the Superkids) genetically-engineered for physical perfection and cyberware tolerance. It was...cheesy.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 9 2009, 09:45 PM) *
From the novel Tails You Lose. A government project into a group of clones (the Superkids) genetically-engineered for physical perfection and cyberware tolerance. It was...cheesy.

Which anyone can now do in Shadowrun, with the Augmentation book.
1) Biocompatability (Cyberware) Quality
2) Genetic Heritage Quality
3) Genetic Optimization (8 Attributes), 1.6 Essence Loss (or less)

Add Cyberware to Taste wink.gif

Ancient History
No, this was...worse.
Mordinvan
Doesn't RC have the edge where you ARE an escaped clone living their own life?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 9 2009, 10:06 PM) *
Doesn't RC have the edge where you ARE an escaped clone living their own life?

Read the original post

and now there is a PC quality in RunComp to be a clone
TeOdio
Might be mistaken, but didn't one of the Shadowrun Novels have a clone that wasn't "fully cooked" at the beginning of the novel, but took over for someone of importance in one of the Mega's. If I remember it was a discarded sub plot in one of the early novels, maybe one of the Sam Verner ones.
Super Kids was cheddar, but I still enjoyed the overall book.

nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
mrslamm0
I thrown a few in my games before. I dont think its really cannon but I go with it any ways lol
Draco18s
QUOTE (TeOdio @ Feb 9 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Might be mistaken, but didn't one of the Shadowrun Novels have a clone that wasn't "fully cooked" at the beginning of the novel, but took over for someone of importance in one of the Mega's. If I remember it was a discarded sub plot in one of the early novels, maybe one of the Sam Verner ones.

You mean, Never Deal With a Dragon?
TonkaTuff

In that instance, it wasn't a clone, exactly. At least not an organbank clone. It was a genetically-engineered Doppelganger empowered with ritual magic. Saeder-Krupp created it to disrupt Renraku's SCIRE project by replacing one of the lead developers, sabotaging the project from within, and getting back out with all of the research data. Verner's extraction from the Arc was probably orchestrated to provide cover for the op that effected the replacement.

The plot itself was halfway resolved. The doppelganger itself was dealt with by the end of the book and the emerging AI thread it was related to developed over the next two books (possibly the next three if the elf in 'Never Trust an Elf' was Dodger). Though, afaik, they never did go back to the fact that at least one of the megas had the ability to create magically-active critters from whole-cloth (it absorbed and replicated the victim's genetics, memory, and aura) as early as 2050. Then, they never again dealt with the temporal-acceleration magic from the third book, either.
Tashiro
And of course, I remember that Harlequin and Ehran the Scribe are both capable of teleportation (re: Harlequin adventure).
BishopMcQ
You say teleportation, I say metaplanar shortcut.

OP--My understanding is that clones come in 2 types: Wimpies and Escapees.

Wimpies are forced into accelerated growth and their bodies out grow the mental and cognitive development. Effectively leaving a vegetable of a brain and a beautiful corpse. These are used for organ replacement etc.

Escapees (not the official name) are clones grown at nearly normal speeds, possibly for children of the mega-wealthy. Because the clone is allowed to develop at a normal speed, the brain begins growing as well. I would presume that they are generally placed into a chemically induced coma for control purposes, but it is possible that they can be connected to simsense rigs and given the experiences of a normal childhood and sufficient sensory input to grow up quasi-adjusted. (Normally sensory deprivation during early stages of development leaves mental scars a mile wide.) These clones are the ones most likely to escape and take on a life of their own (a la the escaped clone quality)
Draco18s
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 10 2009, 01:29 PM) *

To a mundane it still appears as teleportation.
BishopMcQ
True--but Teleportation specifically breaks the rules of Magic, metaplanar shortcuts don't. (Hooray for fuzzy logic and gray areas!)
Draco18s
So does temporal acceleration.
fourstring_samurai
the secrets of power books are some of my faves, but i can't remember the use of temporal acceleration in the third book. what was it? it HAS been 10 years or so, so please forgive me.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (TonkaTuff @ Feb 10 2009, 09:57 AM) *
In that instance, it wasn't a clone, exactly. At least not an organbank clone. It was a genetically-engineered Doppelganger empowered with ritual magic. Saeder-Krupp created it to disrupt Renraku's SCIRE project by replacing one of the lead developers, sabotaging the project from within, and getting back out with all of the research data. Verner's extraction from the Arc was probably orchestrated to provide cover for the op that effected the replacement.

The plot itself was halfway resolved. The doppelganger itself was dealt with by the end of the book and the emerging AI thread it was related to developed over the next two books (possibly the next three if the elf in 'Never Trust an Elf' was Dodger). Though, afaik, they never did go back to the fact that at least one of the megas had the ability to create magically-active critters from whole-cloth (it absorbed and replicated the victim's genetics, memory, and aura) as early as 2050. Then, they never again dealt with the temporal-acceleration magic from the third book, either.

There several elves in "Never Trust an Elf" there is the Johnson, the australian bastard, the elven suprematist motherfragger Oakforest (the Aitne's son), Dodger, that Prince of the Tir that was involved with the Xevier Institute (shameless ripoff from X-Men), the Oakforest's student (the mage chick that was ripped apart by the Hellions), and I don't remember others.
So yes Dodger appeared in the story, but it had nothing to do with Renraku.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 10 2009, 07:29 PM) *

OP--My understanding is that clones come in 2 types: Wimpies and Escapees.

Wimpies are forced into accelerated growth and their bodies out grow the mental and cognitive development. Effectively leaving a vegetable of a brain and a beautiful corpse. These are used for organ replacement etc.

Escapees (not the official name) are clones grown at nearly normal speeds, possibly for children of the mega-wealthy. Because the clone is allowed to develop at a normal speed, the brain begins growing as well. I would presume that they are generally placed into a chemically induced coma for control purposes, but it is possible that they can be connected to simsense rigs and given the experiences of a normal childhood and sufficient sensory input to grow up quasi-adjusted. (Normally sensory deprivation during early stages of development leaves mental scars a mile wide.) These clones are the ones most likely to escape and take on a life of their own (a la the escaped clone quality)

There is also a batch of clones (grown at natural speed) that Proteus AG is raising (shadowtalk in Augmentations).
BishopMcQ
Can you give me a page number? I did a quick search for Clone and found just about every company except Proteus. I'm interested to see how they are different.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (HardSix @ Feb 10 2009, 02:57 AM) *
I know that as of 207x, clones have been used for organ harvesting for decades, and now there is a PC quality in RunComp to be a clone. Have any of the sourcebooks, modules, or novels included a clone (or clones) becoming sentient and living their own life (not including cyborgs cyber.gif with cloned brains)?

I know a guy who did some work for the Unwired an AFAIK the RC, too. We had a little chat about the RC anyway and I came up with the thought of clones as playable "metavariants" as they where planning to introduce some new races anyway. I don't know if he passed that thought on to the editorial staff or if someone else came up with the same idea. So I might or might not be responsible for the clones. I don't know of any "canon" clones if you leave out the novels. (e.g. Streets of Blood / Jack the Ripper) But I can imagine some nice clone character concepts. Originally my thought was, to give them a cost reduction for bioware and / or genware but in the end the clones ended up as a quality (which of course can be combined with corresponding qualities from Augmentation). All in all I'm pretty content with the RC's clones. cool.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (fourstring_samurai @ Feb 10 2009, 01:19 PM) *
the secrets of power books are some of my faves, but i can't remember the use of temporal acceleration in the third book. what was it? it HAS been 10 years or so, so please forgive me.

IIRC, sam verner does a Ghost-dance level ritual spell to accelerate time on the nuclear weapons, causing the isotopes in them to decay faster, thus rendering them useless

I'm not surprised it hasn't been done again. not everyone has Howling Coyote for a pal.
TonkaTuff
QUOTE (fourstring_samurai @ Feb 10 2009, 02:19 PM) *

[ Spoiler ]
raggedhalo
Yeah, but Harlequin and Ehran are Lightbringers and thus use Earthdawn magic rules...
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 12 2009, 01:01 AM) *
Can you give me a page number? I did a quick search for Clone and found just about every company except Proteus. I'm interested to see how they are different.

Yeah, not exctly clones, my bad; they were "ordinary" metahumans created in vitro and developed in artificial wombs.
Anyway the comment is from Nephrine (Augmentation p.53) and is about Proteus graduating a class of genengineered metahumans created in this way; not exactly clones but something that comes close.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (raggedhalo @ Feb 12 2009, 12:21 PM) *
Yeah, but Harlequin and Ehran are Lightbringers and thus use Earthdawn magic rules...

Weren't them Lightbearers? Anyway where can I find some info about the class?
raggedhalo
Bearers, bringers...*grin*

You're right, of course.

http://www.amurgsval.org/shadowrun/earthdawn.html has some stuff about it. I've never played Earthdawn so I don't know which books to recommend.
Prime Mover

The "Doppleganger" thing they brought into the scrie attacked and took the form/memories of its target IIRC. It was created/provided by a dragon, again IIRC. Been while since I read these and no longer have a copy. Always wondered what this critter was, would make for some fun in our home games thats for sure.
knasser
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 12 2009, 04:03 PM) *
The "Doppleganger" thing they brought into the scrie attacked and took the form/memories of its target IIRC. It was created/provided by a dragon, again IIRC. Been while since I read these and no longer have a copy. Always wondered what this critter was, would make for some fun in our home games thats for sure.

Yeah, the brief outline here doesn't do justice to the thing in the book. A pale, featureless, humanoid touched with little tentacles. It was smuggled into the target's bathroom and then Hart seduced her way back up there with him (or maybe it was her apartment to begin with). She excused herself to use the loo, injected it with the stimulant to wake it up then let the target blunder into it. It hugged him in a parody of an embrace, white tentacles burrowing into his body and face turning crimson as his blood and DNA was absorbed, then the thing began to mold itself into his form. It had stats "like an olympic athlete", was a blasphemous amalgam of science and magic whose creation was overseen by Lofwyrr himself and, when its hand was cut off near the end, had a tiny pink baby-replacement growing back in seconds.

Yes, it made an impression on me when I read it as a kid! biggrin.gif

K.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 12 2009, 04:54 AM) *
Yeah, not exctly clones, my bad; they were "ordinary" metahumans created in vitro and developed in artificial wombs.
Anyway the comment is from Nephrine (Augmentation p.53) and is about Proteus graduating a class of genengineered metahumans created in this way; not exactly clones but something that comes close.

Cool. That at least explains why searching "clone" didn't find the comment. Will go back and read up on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012