Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sensor Software and Sensor enhancement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
OK I was thinking about Sensor Software and was wondering: If you have Vision Enhancement (3), Thermographic Vision, and Lie Detection Sensor Software (Rating 5), do you get 10 dice for detecting lies or do you only get 7 dice? Vision Enhancement gives a dice pool bonus equal to it's rating to all perception tests.

I think it might because it allows greater clarity of vision. Also, does this work for the other sensor software and audio enhancement?
Rotbart van Dainig
If the sensor soft (or tacsoft) is making a perception test, it gains the bonus of vision enhancement
Ryu
It should, but I wouldn´t consider it desireable from a mechanical POV.
Mäx
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 11 2009, 12:38 PM) *
It should, but I wouldn´t consider it desireable from a mechanical POV.

Care to elobrate?
Ryu
It should work, because the tech supposedly gives you way improved basic data. Images are sharper, audio files are as good as the original.

Now assume everyone is doing it. All sensor softs are now available with dicepools of 1-9. The perception tests made with them will now usually be successful. Considering what is on offer, you can (unless you are a pro) not lie, hide a specified type of object, fire your weapon without being aquired as target for indirect fire, hide your true motives, ...

IMO sensor softs are bad enough with 1-6 dice, a sequence of (number of runners) rolls will often see at least one failure.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 11 2009, 08:15 AM) *
It should work, because the tech supposedly gives you way improved basic data. Images are sharper, audio files are as good as the original.

Now assume everyone is doing it. All sensor softs are now available with dicepools of 1-9. The perception tests made with them will now usually be successful. Considering what is on offer, you can (unless you are a pro) not lie, hide a specified type of object, fire your weapon without being aquired as target for indirect fire, hide your true motives, ...

IMO sensor softs are bad enough with 1-6 dice, a sequence of (number of runners) rolls will often see at least one failure.

IMO Sensor software WITHOUT the enhancement are worthless. 4 dice will get you on average 1.5 hits and 5 dice will get you not much more. In fact I went to random.org and used their dice roller. I rolled 12 sets of each dice pool and I got the following:

4 DP = 1.5 hits
5 DP = 1.416666 hits.

With this (admittedly small pool of data) I think that the Sensor Software packages need all the help that they can get. Now about these breaking the game... two things:

1) The players can do things to conceal their goings on. Concealable holsters, silencers, etc, etc.
2) what level is Sensor software at, if the corp is even running with it installed? Most of the time it's at rating 3 because the device it's running on has a response of 3.
3) Camera neutralizers also can help deal with those cameras
4) As GM you can change the threshold for any tests.
Ryu
Using Feshy´s diceroller 9 Dice:
Hits Normal
========
0 2.6%
1+ 97.4%
2+ 85.7%
3+ 62.3%
4+ 35.0%
5+ 14.5%

6 dice:
Hits Normal
========
0 8.8%
1+ 91.2%
2+ 64.9%
3+ 32.0%
4+ 10.0%
InfinityzeN
Be happy that most Sensorsofts actually roll their own DP instead of adding to a characters.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 11 2009, 05:04 AM) *
If the sensor soft (or tacsoft) is making a perception test, it gains the bonus of vision enhancement

Isn't by definition ALL Sensor software packages making a Perception test? I mean how else are helping out if not by using the data that sensors are feeding them and interpreting that data.
Ryu
No - a device rating test is not a perception test. Some sensor softs are used to make perception tests, but that is explicit.
Mäx
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 12 2009, 01:49 PM) *
No - a device rating test is not a perception test. Some sensor softs are used to make perception tests, but that is explicit.

ONly sensor softs in arsenal that aren't used for perception tests are empathy and lie detection, those do judge intention tests.
Draco18s
I would probably move to say that the software makes its own test as an aid another test; it adds its successes to the character's dicepool. Software says, "His heart rate went up, lie warning!" and the user judges the other character with that additional information.
Panzergeist
They should stack. Sensor enhancement enhances the sensors, making them better able to collect data. Sensor software does not enhance the sensors themselves, but simply analyzes the data for you. They are totally different things, and complementary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012