Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Economy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Westiex
So I was looking at the Ares Kull (P120 Arsenal) and was looking to get the Improved Economy mod done to it.

Relevant stats
Accel (running ) is 150
Speed is 300
Base cost of the drone is 10K nuyen.gif

For improved economy, the cost is Accel (running) x Speed x 5

So to get the mod applied to the drone, I'm looking at paying 225 000 nuyen.gif ?!?

Even appling the max 'Walking' speed instead of running the cost is still 45000 nuyen.gif

Going away from the kull for a moment, I'll do the example on a Dodge Scoot
Accell running is 15
Speed is 60
Cost is 4500 nuyen.gif for a 3000 nuyen.gif scooter.

Harley Davidson Scorpion
Accell running is 30
Speed is 120
Cost is 18000 nuyen.gif

I'm just wondering if these numbers seem right to anyone who knows about these sorts of things RL?
Starmage21
QUOTE (Westiex @ Feb 11 2009, 09:34 AM) *
So I was looking at the Ares Kull (P120 Arsenal) and was looking to get the Improved Economy mod done to it.

Relevant stats
Accel (running ) is 150
Speed is 300
Base cost of the drone is 10K nuyen.gif

For improved economy, the cost is Accel (running) x Speed x 5

So to get the mod applied to the drone, I'm looking at paying 225 000 nuyen.gif ?!?

Even appling the max 'Walking' speed instead of running the cost is still 45000 nuyen.gif

Going away from the kull for a moment, I'll do the example on a Dodge Scoot
Accell running is 15
Speed is 60
Cost is 4500 nuyen.gif for a 3000 nuyen.gif scooter.

Harley Davidson Scorpion
Accell running is 30
Speed is 120
Cost is 18000 nuyen.gif

I'm just wondering if these numbers seem right to anyone who knows about these sorts of things RL?

I think that the reason Improved Economy is so expensive is that it creates vehicles and drones with a 24/7 operation time when coupled with the other solar recharging options((forget the name of it atm)), as long as night lasts 12 hours or less. Additionally, you take no performance hit by installing the option.
Stahlseele
so?
when you, instead of upgrading the 10k drone for 225k buy more 10k drones for 225k you have 22 drones and can cover the whole day like that with more firepower/sensors/mobility for less money . .
and you still have 5k left of that 225k chunk of money . . that one can go into your next whore or something nice as a reward for a smart choice O.o
Knight Saber
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 11 2009, 09:51 AM) *
so?
when you, instead of upgrading the 10k drone for 225k buy more 10k drones for 225k you have 22 drones and can cover the whole day like that with more firepower/sensors/mobility for less money . .
and you still have 5k left of that 225k chunk of money . . that one can go into your next whore or something nice as a reward for a smart choice O.o

You want to be eco-friendly, don't you? Everyone should respect Mother Earth, especially in the nations where you might get filled with arrows or zapped with spells for not doing so!

Also, operating one drone will be a lot less conspicuous than operating two dozen, so there are times when you might need a single, long-operating one.
Stahlseele
still, is it worth it to pay 225000/10000=22,5x the price you would usually pay for ONE drone? that's about 2100% Price increase . .
Matsci
Just Stick an Extra battey pack on the dam thing. Same slots, and it's cheaper.
BlueMax
Headline + Byline made me think this was a political thread.
Ryu
The solar recharging system/additional battery combination will usually cost less than Improved Economy, but take two slots, and require a refill in the night for 24/7 operation.
Whipstitch
Honestly, I don't have a problem with this; it makes no fraggin' sense that a high speed vehicle could cheaply and efficiently run off solar power and a tuned engine at high operating speeds without such a thing becoming the de facto standard. Seriously, a high speed attack drone that can run nearly 24/7 without logistical support would be crazy, and while it's possible, it's prohibitively expensive, something I'm sure the corps are furiously working on. In the meantime, the current Improved Economy mod is definitely not useless, it's actually quite incredible on the low speed milspec drones featured in the book, and many of those are drones whose roles cannot necessarily be improved merely by increasing the number you're operating. For example, the Ares Auxilia costs 8k nuyen and can be modified to run virtually forever via the Sun Cell & Improved Economy mods for just under another 10k nuyen. Yeah, that's expensive, but when you consider that the role of the drone is to carry heavy gear loads and follow a platoon wherever they go whenever they go, it begins to make sense; after all, the thing's job is to expand the effective range of the unit. Requiring the soldiers to refuel and provide regular maintenance for the damn thing every day rather defeats the purpose of bringing the thing along in the first place. Likewise the hazmat, construction, electronic warfare and maintenance drones can all benefit from the modification for pretty reasonable costs. Some modifications make more economic sense on some drones than others. No harm in that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012