Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LAV conversions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
IcarusATB
I am playing a Rigger, and I have found the Hover Conversion in Arsenal, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get a small, one-seater (maybe two) LAV. I know there are the stand-up ones that look like they have big fans, but I am looking for something more like a hover-bike that flies. Maybe I'm just thinking of the wrong movies, but I know there are vehicles that have repulsor lifts, or something ... like in Bladerunner and Fifth Element. But is there such a thing for motorcycles?

I am certain they'd have to be built with a Gyro-stabilization Mod, or something, but I can't even figure out how my Rigger would build one. Is there a Mod for ANY ground vehicle being turned into a LAV?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Wade
aka Icarus
Stahlseele
Hover-Cycles would be a possibility . . basically tuned up halves of hover-cars with a motorcycle rump above to sit on . . but nothing official there . .
while we're at it, what about hover-boards of feet?
just attach cyber-feet-sockets to 2 hover-drones and call it a day?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 12 2009, 05:24 PM) *
while we're at it, what about hover-boards of feet?
just attach cyber-feet-sockets to 2 hover-drones and call it a day?

Augmentation already has them (Skimmer Plug-Ins), or is that what you mean?

But there is a difference between vector thrust (LAV), and hovercraft.
Stahlseele
there's a difference between hover and skimmer too, if i ain't mistaken . .
IcarusATB
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 12 2009, 05:24 PM) *
Hover-Cycles would be a possibility . . basically tuned up halves of hover-cars with a motorcycle rump above to sit on . . but nothing official there . ..

Yeah, there actually is something official. That's why in my OP I said that I had already found the Hover Conversion mod in Arsenal. But, Stahlseele is right there's a big difference between LAV (flying) and a hovercraft. I am hoping to find a way to make an LAV motorcycle.

Wade
aka Icarus
TonkaTuff
With the way LAVs work in Shadowrun (directed-thrust jet engines or ducted turbofans - they don't have antigrav technology yet), I'm not sure you could make one in a 'bike' configuration that you could just sit on and ride without setting yourself or your surroundings on fire. There were existing V-T drones in the right Body range (extrapolating from 3rd ed, since there are none stock in 4th that I can see), that even had the same general cargo/load profiles of motorcycles - but design requirements meant they had to look like planes to be any good. The only one that didn't - the Ares Guardian - had a very low load capacity, speed, and acceleration. If you were looking for something more along the line of the flying bikes that look like bikes (like in Judge Dredd, say) the technology just isn't there. Anything with an engine big enough to lift the vehicle + passengers would have to have wings or be at least as big as a car.
hobgoblin
i guess one could always apply a bit of "lighter-then-air" to a motorcycle wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (TonkaTuff @ Feb 13 2009, 07:19 AM) *
There were existing V-T drones in the right Body range (extrapolating from 3rd ed, since there are none stock in 4th that I can see), that even had the same general cargo/load profiles of motorcycles - but design requirements meant they had to look like planes to be any good.

Actually, that wasn't the case, they didn't even have a stall speed - and of course there is a flying PMV in Arsenal.

If you just want the shape of a bike, simply take the stats and rename it.
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 12 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Augmentation already has them (Skimmer Plug-Ins), or is that what you mean?

QUOTE (Augmentation)
Skimmer Discs: A modular plug-in for cyberfeet, these
ground effect platforms are based on microskimmer drone technology.
When in use, the discs create a directed ground-effect
cushion under the character’s feet, allowing him to hover a few
centimeters above the ground. Ducted fans and some practice at
controlling inclination provide thrust and direction. Skimmer
discs allow the character to move at twice his normal Walking
and Running Rates (see Movement, p. 138, SR4) while hovering
10 to 30 centimeters above the ground. Excessive weight (at the
gamemaster’s discretion) or particularly rough terrain may make
it difficult to maneuver skimmer discs.

You take this undefined skimmer technology that is used to float a .5 kg microdrone, and put a 150 kg shadowrunner on two of them, and he can float a foot off the ground? You've got to be kidding me. And he can move twice as fast he can run? I wonder what skill you would use to keep from running into things. Pilot foot craft? Ducted fans? I wonder how big this whole assembly is?
Kanada Ten
They're part of the MallCop cybersuite.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Feb 15 2009, 08:50 PM) *
I wonder what skill you would use to keep from running into things. Pilot foot craft?

If you check out the inline skates, it's most likely Agility+Reaction, too.

Of course, hover-inline skates are even better. grinbig.gif
The Neutronium Alchemist
When I read the title and begining of the OP I thought the Icarus was after one of these that could hover. Shame he's not really.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012