Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prosthetic Arm
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Muspellsheimr
Slashdot Article

Patients Test an Advanced Prosthetic Arm
Squinky
Yep, real life gals with cyberarms are hot too smile.gif

Pretty cool stuff though, seems like they are making advancements.
Draco18s
Combine that with the technique they found to get skin to make a connection to metal (so that the cyberlimb's attached to the skeletal structure without fear of infection) and all you need are tactile sensors and looks.

And the implanted shotgun.
hobgoblin
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/10/immacul...ines-fun-again/

you asked for looks, now you have it wink.gif
Tachi
That arm is hideous... where's the chrome? Where's the titanium? Where's the cyber-arm gyromount? They need to get on the ball.

Cybernetic limbs without chrome... what's the world coming to, I ask you? *harrumph* nyahnyah.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tachi @ Feb 13 2009, 03:49 AM) *
That arm is hideous... where's the chrome? Where's the titanium? Where's the cyber-arm gyromount?

I want the friggin' integrated commlink! Forget everything else, you have to have the commlink! cyber.gif
hobgoblin
direct internet access via ones brain, 24/7, its a thought that both intrigues and scares the hell out of me...

and that image of netcat comes to mind, saline solution iv drip (maybe with a vitamin spike) and coffee...

i wonder if thats how i would spend my days, jumping between chatrooms, mmo's and entertainment nodes, ignoring my flesh as much as possible...
Tachi
You're not the only one to wonder about that. I'd be willing to bet most of us here have pondered that type of life (if you actually want to call that living).

A scary thought for some (like me), but I'm sure others would prefer it. I'd much rather go for full body replacement, personally.
hobgoblin
true, a outer shell of metal and carbonfiber would not be a issue for me.

but then im a "foreigner" in my own body, so...
Tachi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 13 2009, 06:06 AM) *

While I don't know exactly what you mean by 'foreigner' I think I may have the gist. Especially considering: I almost had my left arm and leg amputated when I was 16 (saved by an extremely talented surgeon), I've herniated 2 of the discs in my back, and have Asthma induced by repeated Hazmat exposures... But hey, two years since my last injury and I can still run a 7 minute mile, squat 700lbs. and have hand speed like a 160 lb Mexican boxer. I'm a mess, but, it made me thankful for what I have.
hobgoblin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Other

the best description is that i can at times find myself considering my body as just a kind of shell.
Tachi
Ok, so my gist fell far short of the reality. Sorry about throwing my newly appreciated mobility in your face. I suddenly feel like an asshole.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Tachi @ Feb 13 2009, 01:22 PM) *
You're not the only one to wonder about that. I'd be willing to bet most of us here have pondered that type of life (if you actually want to call that living).

A scary thought for some (like me), but I'm sure others would prefer it. I'd much rather go for full body replacement, personally.

No can do, you have to wait for DNI and AR for going to be a Ghost in a Shell. devil.gif

Anyway, I would like to point out that Dumpshock is scary, I mean, you "shuffle" trought an RPG related forum and you can expect prevalently flamewar, trolling and gimmic discussions, yet here I still have to see a flamewar (no, I don't feel any need for one and I will be glad if it doesn't happen), trolling is left out (or, depending on the definition of trolling, at leastkept at very minimal levels) and gimmic discussions aren't the only serious/respectfull discussion that takes place; the question is: are we a ray of hope in the caos of the web or are we so insane that we have no use for disrespectfull behaviour to vent out our psychotic pulsions?
In both the cases this kind of oddball threads are probably the scarriest part of the equation, in the most delightfull meaning of the trem.
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 13 2009, 08:06 AM) *

Same, though not for the same reason.
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 13 2009, 12:11 PM) *
Same, though not for the same reason.

I had some friends like that, and their best explanation was that the Bible specifically mentioned them in Genesis. They cited how Cain left Adam and Eve and had children in the land of Nod (IIRC). They were like "Well Cain got married to someone, so that was the Others. Other humans that the Yaweh God didn't make." They were moon-worshipping neo-pagans who believed their 'moon-goddess' made their ancestors.

Well, Cain left with his wife, who was also his sister. For the majority of the Bible, women's births weren't noted.

However, they were partially correct, although dramatically misguided. In Genesis 6:1-4, we learn that "The sons of God came into the daughters of man, and they bare children to them. And they were giants in those days, mighty men of old, men of renown; the Nephilim." (DISCLAIMER: paraphrased for clarity).

The sons of God are obviously angels. When asked about the resurrection body, Jesus said something to the effect of "And you will be like the angels in heaven," specifically meaning that you won't need to procreate. So, if the sons of God came into the daughters of man, and the angels in heaven don't need to procreate, that leaves the Fallen angels the progenitors of the Nephilim.

Did you know that some of the earliest depictions of Zeus and Hercules had horns? Hercules: the son of a god, a massively powerful man capable of great feats of strength. Goliath: a man who's power is so legendary that his name itself is still used to refer to a giant, powerful creature.

It's interesting to note that scientists have found that 99.9% (maybe 99.8, I forget exactly) of all men are descended from a single male ancestor, who is referred to as "Y Chromosome Adam". I believe that to be extraordinary evidence of the Biblical account of human origins, and Genesis 6:1-4 explains the other 0.1-0.2%.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Tachi @ Feb 13 2009, 02:56 PM) *
Ok, so my gist fell far short of the reality. Sorry about throwing my newly appreciated mobility in your face. I suddenly feel like an asshole.

heh, no biggie. we all have our things to deal with. tho sometimes i wish there was some kind of external effect, so that one could see the issue, so to speak...

also, its been so many years without "knowing" that even now i try to not make a big deal out of it. the only potential positive is as a leverage vs the support systems...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 13 2009, 01:38 PM) *
I had some friends like that, and their best explanation was that the Bible specifically mentioned them in Genesis.

Yeah. Not that reason either.
And I've heard the story.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 13 2009, 09:58 AM) *
No can do, you have to wait for DNI and AR for going to be a Ghost in a Shell. devil.gif

Anyway, I would like to point out that Dumpshock is scary, I mean, you "shuffle" trought an RPG related forum and you can expect prevalently flamewar, trolling and gimmic discussions, yet here I still have to see a flamewar (no, I don't feel any need for one and I will be glad if it doesn't happen), trolling is left out (or, depending on the definition of trolling, at leastkept at very minimal levels) and gimmic discussions aren't the only serious/respectfull discussion that takes place; the question is: are we a ray of hope in the caos of the web or are we so insane that we have no use for disrespectfull behaviour to vent out our psychotic pulsions?
In both the cases this kind of oddball threads are probably the scarriest part of the equation, in the most delightfull meaning of the trem.

Actually AllTheNothing, I think subconsciously we put ourselves into the role of Jackpoint users who talk about biz. You've thought about what your character would feel and empathize with him/her/it. At that point it's not that much of a leap to talk politely to other members of the forum because you know that your character would do the same*.

This might all be a bunch of psycho babble bullshit, but makes sense.

I know that some times we're talking about rules on a game, but honestly we're all sharing a collective imagining of a fictional world.

==============================

* = Talk shit about someone and if you meet them on the streets you might just get a few EX-EX rounds in the gut for your troubles. If you talk politely the other slot might just let you walk away... if he can.
hobgoblin
then there is the art of talkng shit without sounding like one is.

problem is that when its done long enough, just about anything becomes potentially offensive...
Gawdzilla
Un-flippin-believable.
While it doesn't exactly LOOK natural, I am very impressed by the fluidity of the arm. If they can get tactile feedback working, I'm sure that would also help make it move even more naturally since our brains rely on feedback from our senses. And of course there is the obvious benefit of regaining the sense of touch. It is only a matter of time before we slap a metal skin on that puppy and HELLO cyberarm!
Tachi
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 13 2009, 07:58 AM) *

I R Major Tachi... cyber.gif nyahnyah.gif
QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Feb 13 2009, 07:58 AM) *

I have to admit, aside from a few members, Dumpshock is one of the more polite (sedate?) forums I've encountered, at least, it is when I'm not trying to cram my foot in my mouth. But yeah, much of what we see in current tech has very different connotations (both positive and negative) for us than it does for most people. SR has had a significant effect on my perspective since I first encountered it.
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 13 2009, 12:15 PM) *
the only potential positive is as a leverage vs the support systems...

Does that mean you don't have to take out the trash? I hate taking out the trash, the only time anyone wants it done is when I'm in the middle of something. nyahnyah.gif
Rad
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 12 2009, 03:21 PM) *

'Bout time they got that working.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2009, 01:57 AM) *
I know that some times we're talking about rules on a game, but honestly we're all sharing a collective imagining of a fictional world.

question.gif You mean something like the communal cascense of the Protos in StarCraft?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012