Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Think like a Steet Samurai
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Adarael
I ran into this article today while browsing the net, and was extemely pleased, because these are exactly the sort of rules I figured a good gun-toting Street Sam should abide by. And because the tone kind of reminded me of Raygun.

Stolen from http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/ammuni...les-gunfighting

Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For A Gunfight

1. Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker and go to cover. Distance is your friend. (Bulletproof cover and diagonal or lateral movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a semi or full-automatic long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. Yell "Fire!" Why "Fire"? Cops will come with the Fire Department, sirens often scare off the bad guys, or at least cause then to lose concentration and will.... and who is going to summon help if you yell "Intruder," "Glock" or "Winchester?"

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Stretch the rules. Always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. "No battle plan ever survives 10 seconds past first contact with an enemy."

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible, but remember, sheetrock walls and the like stop nothing but your pulse when bullets tear through them.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees. Practice reloading one-handed and off-hand shooting. That's how you live if hit in your "good" side.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide NOW to always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you.

22. Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket." At a practice session, throw you gun into the mud, then make sure it still works. You can clean it later.

26. Practice shooting in the dark, with someone shouting at you, when out of breath, etc.

27. Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Finally, Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.

1. Never be unarmed.
Synner667
>yawn<

Little to do with being a Street Samurai...
...Much to do with being a gun-toting thug.
Adarael
Edited: I did not say precisely what I meant. Here is the revised version.

90% of the time, a Street Samurai is ALSO a gun-toting thug. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's his job to be the gun toting thug so others don't always have to be prepared with heavy firepower. Now, it doesn't mean he always has to USE the guns - see rule 23 - but you don't just want someone like that on your team, you NEED one.
hobgoblin
21 to 23 are interesting ones, altho part of 21 is damn cold...
Backgammon
Hmm.. Not so much for a street samurai. I'd classify these as rules for someone worried about the law, and living a normal life. Samurai don't need that many gunfight rules. Point, shoot, empty clip. What comes before and after is irrelevant.
Fyndhal
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Feb 13 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Hmm.. Not so much for a street samurai. I'd classify these as rules for someone worried about the law, and living a normal life. Samurai don't need that many gunfight rules. Point, shoot, empty clip. What comes before and after is irrelevant.

I disagree. Many of those rules allow the Sammie to point, shoot and empty clip without getting caught up in their own heads. It's the discipline that makes them able to do what they do.
Thadeus Bearpaw
QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Feb 13 2009, 06:58 PM) *
I disagree. Many of those rules allow the Sammie to point, shoot and empty clip without getting caught up in their own heads. It's the discipline that makes them able to do what they do.

I agree. Laws might not apply on the street, but courtesies and cordiality certainly do. If you can not scrap with ten armed Yakuza by simply being civil and respectful than it's better to be civil and respectful. Of course you should still plan for cover, know what they're packing etc.
Browncoatone
I don't follow number 24. Until I can afford to get that sweet 40 cal I've been eying the last 10 years I get by with my puny 9mm x 19mm.

But rules 1-10, 14, 19 & 20 are to live by.
hobgoblin
in the end its mental. the one thats willing to kill is the one that walks away, if the other is not...

the rest becomes a set of conditions defining when lethal force is to be applied.

both the european knight and the japanese samurai had these drilled into them from a early age.

think of it as a lifelong drill, turning it into a way of life...
Critias
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Feb 13 2009, 06:37 PM) *
>yawn<

Yeah. 'Cause nothing screams "gun toting thug" like being professional, polite, courteous, and having "a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."
hobgoblin
a gorilla in a suite is still a gorilla silly.gif

or to put it another way, for every person that goes for de-escalation, you have 10+ that go for the sandpaper personality and "chew nails and shit bullets" mentality.

to them i guess there is a non-existent line between cooling a situation down, and submitting to the other side...
Glyph
A lot of the rules would apply to a street samurai, because they are either good tactics or common sense. But it is still obviously more oriented towards a law-abiding citizen who is ready to defend himself, ruthlessly if he has to.

A street samurai will often be the instigator in a confrontation - because he's paid to inflict violence on other people. He is still polite most of the time - people will pay him less money to kill people if he does it for free too often.

A street samurai has to worry about his illegal weapons - he would like to tote his Ares Alpha everywhere, but he knows people get sad and make frowny faces when he takes it into an AAA rated neighborhood, so he will carry a small, concealed pistol to avoid upsetting those nice folks.

A street samurai is wise if he uses good tactics, but someone who is several times faster and tougher than a normal human being can often successfully use tactics that would be suicidal for a normal human being.
Whipstitch
Yeah, Samurai can abuse things like internal air tanks and breathtaker, or utilizing a Radar Sensor and a Hatamoto II heavy pistol loaded with APDS to one shot a guy through his cheap drywall.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Feb 13 2009, 06:37 PM) *
>yawn<

question.gif Sure a lot of those apply to everyone, but I think the following apply more aptly to Sammies:

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you.

22. Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
Patrick the Gnome
My rules as a street sam-
1. If you can escalate a situation without being killed, do so because it's more fun.
2. All situations can be solved with violence.
3. If you don't think a situation can be solved with violence, then you obviously don't have a big enough gun.
4. When possible, use the most unique, plausible manner of accomplishing your task. If you can break into an arcology by melting through 20 floors with thermite, do so.
5. Shadowrun is a game. If you die, you make a new character.
6. Never allow your pursuit of entertaining violence interfere with somoeone else's play experience. If someone wants to sneak into a compound, let them, you have fun being the distraction.
7. Use of these rules will make you rather obvious, therefore, knowing a good hacker, facial surgeon, and lawyer are integral.
Critias
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 13 2009, 09:44 PM) *
or to put it another way, for every person that goes for de-escalation, you have 10+ that go for the sandpaper personality and "chew nails and shit bullets" mentality.

No, you don't. If there was a 10:1 ratio of folks with that mentality versus folks that were willing, and eager, to de-escalate, humanity would've very probably wiped itself off the map by now. On any given day, more people would die than not (because even the guy trying to hard to de-escalate and handle a situation via verbal judo would, eventually, run across someone wholly unwilling to listen...and because everyone else but that one in ten would be eagerly itching for a fight, and killing people with barely any provocation).
Draco18s
10:1 de-escalators
10:1 escalators
10:8 people-who-don't-give-a-shit
Adarael
As a note on de-escalation: I've rarely played a Street Sam that didn't have this kind of attitude, because I'm a fan of quiet people who suddenly burst into violence unexpectedly. But sometimes you know you can't avert the inevitable. I've gotten a lot of milage out of this tactic - when the GM has a guy posturing for a fight in a run, I'll respond, and say mid-sentence visit the violence. Generally by saying, "Blue Line says, "Listen, I understand where you're coming from. We're being paid too, so I think BANG!" and actually shout it as a cue that I am quick-drawing and laying someone out.

Addendum: Internal air tank, hell. OxyRush is where it's at! Or get both, just to be a bastard.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Critias @ Feb 14 2009, 07:47 AM) *
No, you don't. If there was a 10:1 ratio of folks with that mentality versus folks that were willing, and eager, to de-escalate, humanity would've very probably wiped itself off the map by now. On any given day, more people would die than not (because even the guy trying to hard to de-escalate and handle a situation via verbal judo would, eventually, run across someone wholly unwilling to listen...and because everyone else but that one in ten would be eagerly itching for a fight, and killing people with barely any provocation).

sorry, i was thinking personalities presented in games now.

irl people are most often to scared to even consider stepping forward in a situation. and those that do often have some kind of history as paid athority figure...

on other words, in-game people gravitate towards "wolverine", while it may well be more fitting to play "cyclops"...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 14 2009, 12:34 AM) *
Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun.

Don't forget about knives, bats and fists - keep your distance.
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 14 2009, 12:34 AM) *
Never be unarmed.

Any weapon is better than none - learn to improvise.
Wasabi
Five stars, Adarael!
GreyBrother
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 14 2009, 09:27 AM) *
on other words, in-game people gravitate towards "wolverine", while it may well be more fitting to play "cyclops"...

Please help some fella who doesn't know sh*t about X-Men. What's the difference?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Feb 14 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Please help some fella who doesn't know sh*t about X-Men. What's the difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops_(comics)

or maybe the best example is that when faced with a giant sentinel robot (another long story, but lets say something in the area of a 5-10 story building, and geared specifically to hunt mutants) wolverine jumps into the battle head first, as his regeneration can allow him to survive virtually anything.

cyclops on the other hand stays back to evaluate the situation until he finds that limited force is not the option, then he opens up full blast with his eyebeam, basically destroying the sentinel, and a solid area of forest in the process.

or maybe i should say that wolverine could fit into most of the chuck norris jokes found all over the net...
Degausser
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 14 2009, 07:51 AM) *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops_(comics)

or maybe the best example is that when faced with a giant sentinel robot (another long story, but lets say something in the area of a 5-10 story building, and geared specifically to hunt mutants) wolverine jumps into the battle head first, as his regeneration can allow him to survive virtually anything.

cyclops on the other hand stays back to evaluate the situation until he finds that limited force is not the option, then he opens up full blast with his eyebeam, basically destroying the sentinel, and a solid area of forest in the process.

or maybe i should say that wolverine could fit into most of the chuck norris jokes found all over the net...

Another thing is that you can almost make Wolverine in the game. Combat Spurs+Titanium Bone Lacing and . . . uh (Isn't there some Olfactory enchancer bioware?) True you can't heal as fast as Wolvie, but you can make him soak damage almost as well with dermal plating.

People seem to be painting Street sams into a corner as nothing but rabid, violent, killing machines that are let out by their masters only when they want total destruction. (Like Umbrella corp unleashing Nemesis on Raccoon city, for those Resident Evil fans out there.) I've made a large variety of "Heavily cybered combat-oriented individuals" over the years, and they have all had varying personalities and very different builds.

1)Street Ninja, Slightly less damage soaking ability, no Automatic weapons, but good with throwing weapons and far better at stealth.

2)Bio Sam, Had only Bioware (This was back in 3rd ed where bioware didn't cost essence) she had crazy amounts of agility and was skilled with a Kriss. Basically she could pass undetected through unrestricted areas because she looked unremarkable (even on the astral)

3)Elven Speed Sam (This one was done by a friend). Like above, had crazy agility and speed, but only used pistols as they were easier to carry while doing acrobatic stunts. Had an internal balance compensator and a cybertail (Had to make a willpower test to fall down). He preferred to talk things over instead of fighting, and actually had a decent negotiation skill.

4)Odysseus (Funniest Street Sam, Ever!) Odysseus was a street sam that had absolutely NO firarms skills, in fact, I think he was incompetent in automatics. Instead, he had a CRAZY Strength score and a super-duper awesome composite bow, which did, like, 14 damage or something. He took out cars with it. We eventually decided that his 'Bowstring' was high tension steel cable.
Rad
The illustrated version:

Wolverine

Cyclops

As for Wolvie's regeneration: Possession tradition mage + great form plant spirit possessing you = regeneration

You could do it in karmagen, I'm sure.
Fuchs
I'll be content with my Stgw 90 (now converted to semi-automatic after I finished my service in the army) and my S&W M686.
KarmaInferno

Did this (para)phrase originate from the Team Fortress 2 Sniper video, or did Valve get it from elsewhere?

Video for those who haven't seen it.

QUOTE (Rad @ Feb 14 2009, 08:33 AM) *
As for Wolvie's regeneration: Possession tradition mage + great form plant spirit possessing you = regeneration

It's unfortunate that in terms of combat regeneration is slow.
Adarael
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Feb 14 2009, 06:22 AM) *
I'll be content with my Stgw 90 (now converted to semi-automatic after I finished my service in the army) and my S&W M686.

You cannot see it, but I'm coveting your rifle. Oh, how I am coveting it.

An KarmaInferno, I *believe* that line was popularized by Heat or possibly Ronin, but I'm not certain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012