Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Moon Rising Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eugene
Here's my quick review of the good and bad of "Bad Moon Rising." The basic plot is that the runners get hired to go to Hong Kong and track a drug shipment.

The Good: There's a lot of nice touches for the GM - from attractive NPC record sheets w/built in condition monitors to discussions of different approaches by players to reach goals (with plenty to do for hackers, sammies, and awakened-types). There's a Legwork section of increasing knowledge by # of hits like the Missions. Matrix hosts are thoroughly designed ala Unwired and include Alert Responses, security hacker/IC stats, etc.

You get a whole party of pre-generated PCs attractively laid out in case you want to do a one-shot. The PCs are competent (a pistol adept with 18 dice not including smartlink, for example), have histories, contacts, and relationships with the other PCs.

The story is clever, too - the way the drugs are being smuggled in particular is ingenious. There're also some mean tactics the opponents use that I'm definitely stealing (see p.11). I also like that, at least in one instance, there's a possibility that clever roleplay may avoid a fight if the players don't want one.

The Bad: "Bad Moon Rising" was originally written as a tournament adventure and this is still obvious. The intro section at the beginning still assumes you're a GM running it at a con. Various notes within the adventure refer to the pregenerated PCs (if <x> does this, then <y>). Part Two assumes that the runners' presence was detected in Part One and that there's a delay in their investigation of/or action toward a certain location. While I'm sure a good GM can work around it, and the way the adventure is written it's -likely- that events will occur in such a way as to allow a smooth transition to Part Two, it's still a bit of a weakness. Finally, the writers seem to feel that their tactics (p. 11, again) are -too- mean and hope that they don't actually work (Debugging, p.13).

The Verdict: It's completely worth the $4 you're going to pay. The adventure is quite good with few issues. And, if you've got Ghost Cartels, you'll get some extra mileage, too.
Malicant
That's more or less what I wanted to know. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012