Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Busted by the Man
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maximilianus
I tried to find some information concerning arrests and convictions, but couldn't find much. Has anyone ever had thier runners arrested? How do you work it out? My runner is facing 6 counts of manslaughter in addition to the illegal possesion charges (68,000 nuyen.gif and 11yrs in prison). Any thoughts?
kevyn668
Sure:

1) Make a new character

2) pratice roleplaying a lawyer

3) hope your pals have the mojo to break you out

4) hope your pals (or you) have the political clout to get you off

5) get your GM laid. Or whatever he/she desires most in the world.

Good Luck!
toturi
Use the time usefully.

Create your own criminal empire in jail.
Large Mike

Sprawl Survival Guide.
kevyn668
Actually, a few questions:

1) does your character have a SIN?

2) Is he/she already in custody?

The reason I ask is if you don't have a SIN your choices become more limited. I don't think LS or whoever can just execute you. But you don't legally exist so, I dunno.

So, if you don't have a SIN you might be able to broker a deal w/ LS for "special services" in lieu of your sentence. Or they might just shot in the head and dump you in the Sound.
Tanka
If you don't have a SIN, you do now. A "Criminal" SIN. Carries your record, last known height, weight, hair color, eye color, name, age, DOB, etc.

It also gets sent out to all governments.
kevyn668
See? Who says there's no benefits to prison? You are now popular!
Maximilianus
I'm actually GM'ing the game, one player is in jail right now. I think I'm going to have them offer him a deal instead of trying to go through the legal crap. It will make it easier and more fun.
kevyn668
"Well son, you're in a world of hurt. The way I see it, you can either play ball or its up the river for ya. We already got a ritual sample but just so you try anything funny we're gonna take a little trip to the doc. I think you need some new, um, headware for this. After that, I got a little proposition for ya, see? Its what you might call a deal you can't refuse."

Mwa-ha-ha-hahaha-ha....vegm.gif

Voila: Snake Pliskin... cool.gif
Fresno Bob
It's funny, because I just finished watching Escape From New York. Kickass movie.
Crusher Bob
The cranail bomb is a bit excessive, mostly because it costs so much. A simpler (and cheaper for the cops) alternative is:

So, Mr. Runner, you have 3 choices here:
1 Refuse to do what we want and go to prision on a child molestation rap.
2 Agree to do what we want and
2.1 do it and go free (yay for you, at least until next time)
2.2 don't do it and have every beat cop putting up 'have you seen this armed and dangerous child molestor?' posters with your face on them.

A lot cheaper than a 500K cranial bomb, and much harder for the munchkin your way out of. A cranial bomb can be removed by a good doctor after all.
Glyph
Plus, cranial bombs are a bit on the railroading side, not to mention the bullying side, on the part of the GM. A lot of players would just make a new character at that point. I mean, if they have explosive wired to your brain, there's nothing preventing them from just killing you after you do their dirty work for them. I would prefer Crusher Bob's approach.

Remember, though - runners may not officially exist, but they do have contacts. A character with corporate or government contacts might be able to have them spring him, although it will cost him some hefty favors. Other characters might wind up having to do dirtier and more dangerous work for the authorities themselves, with a bigger chance of betrayal at the end. A psycho killer PC who has shot a lot of innocent bystanders will probably just get a bullet to the back of the head.
Zazen
QUOTE (Glyph)
I mean, if they have explosive wired to your brain, there's nothing preventing them from just killing you after you do their dirty work for them.

Yeah there is. The next batch of dirty work that they want done. wink.gif
Lantzer
True, a cortex bomb costs. So just _tell_ them they're getting a bomb. Give them a nice scar and implant a lumpy object in their torso.

I doubt that very many doctors are willing to do bomb disposal. You'd have to pay them well for the risk. Even a kink bomb can blow off a finger or two.
Glav
QUOTE (Glyph)

Remember, though - runners may not officially exist, but they do have contacts. A character with corporate or government contacts might be able to have them spring him, although it will cost him some hefty favors. Other characters might wind up having to do dirtier and more dangerous work for the authorities themselves, with a bigger chance of betrayal at the end. A psycho killer PC who has shot a lot of innocent bystanders will probably just get a bullet to the back of the head.
At the same time, remember, some of those same contacts may decide they don't like your character's company anymore, now that they are no longer anonymous. The character should be very careful who he/she talks to, and make sure to secure their loyalties.

QUOTE (kevyn668)

The reason I ask is if you don't have a SIN your choices become more limited. I don't think LS or whoever can just execute you. But you don't legally exist so, I dunno.
Actually, without a SIN, the character doesn't officially exist, and so the Star can do whatever they want. One of the pages in the book say something along the lines of "Without a sin, an arrested character is more likely to disappear than contribute to the already overflowing jails." wink.gif That being said, it makes it all the more reasonable for the GM or Character to try to broker a deal. That deal could lead into their next run. "So, there's this guy...a made man, if you will... We don't want him around anymore." Aaah, out of the fire and into the frying pan, that's my motto smile.gif
Jpwoo
Player expect the get offered a deal they can't refuse offer, but lets think about this from the perspective of the corp or police. This person who we have in our custody was dumb enough to get caught, and if he takes our deal, he also most likely isn't trustworthy at all. The only kind of job that such a person would be good for would be a suicide run. The only way a corp would offer the deal you can't refuse would be if the runner had a sterling reputation, or they were planning on killing him later and dropping him in a ditch.

There is a solution that I have used in my game a couple of times. Have the player roll up a new character, their old character is in Jail. The old character will get out when the new character reaches a set Karma amount. Say 50, or 100 points. More or less depending on how hefty your karma awards are and how serious you want to make jail in your world.

This has wored pretty well for me. It gives the character a feeling of control, if they work hard they can get that Karma faster and spring their favorite char sooner. It makes Jail a punishment but one that is livable. Just saying that you got 20 to life and that your character is gone forever is pretty harsh. But saying that your character got 20-to life, but at 200 karma with a new character they will get out on a legal technicality or good behavior is much easier to deal with.

One of the two times that this happened the runner liked the new character better anyway and retired the one that just got out of Jail. Apparently he saw the error of his ways and quit the shadows forever.
RedmondLarry
We have had a number of things happen to characters who run up against the man:
* never seen again
* multi-year jail sentence
* all cyberware removed (except one eye) and released
* forced to become a snitch
* forced to do job(s)

We have had a number of things happen with other opposition:
* two eaten by ghouls
* one unknowingly accepted overnight hospitality from a hive. just gone.
* one willingly became bug (team later killed her)
* one disappeared to his Hunted Flaw
BitBasher
all cyberware removed (except one eye) and released
Eyes are legal, why on earth would they remove one of them, they have no legal grounds to remove any legal cyberware...

But on that note as soon as the characters trial is over all their illegal cyberware is removed and they are billed for the surgery.
Herald of Verjigorm
Maybe one cyber-eye had some illegal subsystems (not sure what would be in one eye and illegal, eye guns go above the eye...)
Kagetenshi
Retinal modification, perhaps? Some scanners only need one eye...

~J
BitBasher
But subsystems can be removed without surgery, or damaging the cybereye...

And to use a PC like this the Star has to know they plan to do this BEFORE the PC is booked. During booking a SIN is issued that cannot be erased, and then the PC cannot be exploited in this fashion. That would require some pretty specific circumstances.
kevyn668
Crusher Bob Posted: Jan 8 2004, 07:16 AM   

The cranail bomb is a bit excessive, mostly because it costs so much. A simpler (and cheaper for the cops) alternative is:

So, Mr. Runner, you have 3 choices here:
1 Refuse to do what we want and go to prision on a child molestation rap.
2 Agree to do what we want and
2.1 do it and go free (yay for you, at least until next time)
2.2 don't do it and have every beat cop putting up 'have you seen this armed and dangerous child molestor?' posters with your face on them.

A lot cheaper than a 500K cranial bomb, and much harder for the munchkin your way out of. A cranial bomb can be removed by a good doctor after all.

Ahh, but a kink bomb only costs 26k IIRC. AND LS could probably get a discount somewhere along the way. Also, the char in question is not a child molester:
Maximilianus Posted: Jan 8 2004, 02:41 AM   
</snip>My runner is facing 6 counts of manslaughter in addition to the illegal possesion charges (68,000  and 11yrs in prison).

This guy is already signed and sealed. And I don't think the Cranial Bomb is railroading. There are ways around it for the daring (as many of you have already pointed out). The same as there would be for any "Deal you can't refuse situations"

Besides, I didn't actually say "Cranial Bomb", did I? **checks post** Nope. Sure didn't. I wasn't really sure what to put in the guy's head. I was torn between "bomb" and "tracking device", so I didn't specify. If I were GM, I'd probably do both. The character got caught, the options are 1)retire or 2)bomb.

Hey Max, what did you do to seal your deal? Bomb? Bug? Word of honor? wink.gif
kevyn668
BitBasher Posted on Jan 9 2004, 08:28 PM
....And to use a PC like this the Star has to know they plan to do this BEFORE the PC is booked. During booking a SIN is issued that cannot be erased, and then the PC cannot be exploited in this fashion. That would require some pretty specific circumstances. 

Or a wave the GM's magic wand. biggrin.gif
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (OurTeam)
all cyberware removed (except one eye) and released
Eyes are legal, why on earth would they remove one of them, they have no legal grounds to remove any legal cyberware...
He wasn't in the hands of Lonestar. The rest of the team bargained with the Corp for the return of their teammate, but failed to specify the condition of the teammate upon return. The corp installed a signal transmitter in the remaining cybereye to warn the corp if he ever set foot on their property again. The team discovered the transmitter about 4 weeks later without it ever making a difference in game play.

The corp was Knight Errant, and the runners had killed 3 or 4 Knight Errant guards when the samurai was captured. The team now has an undying hatred of Knight Errant, and 4 or 5 Knight Errant guys have better cyberware (used). The former-samurai is now the housekeeper at the team's "clubhouse".

The min-maxed samurai, by the way, was taken down by a guy in pajamas.
EVLTIM
Kink bomb? SO 54 . Pfft Get with it baby .
Cancerands . The choice is ours .

This post sponsered by Aztechnology .Bringing you a brighter future by burning the rain forest tody .
kevyn668
EVLTIM Posted on Jan 10 2004, 12:10 AM
  Kink bomb? SO 54 . Pfft Get with it baby .
Cancerands . The choice is ours .

This post sponsered by Aztechnology .Bringing you a brighter future by burning the rain forest tody .

rotfl.gif

Yeah, the Cancerand would have been the way I would've gone too, but when this thread started I didn't want to overstate the "Escape From New York" thing... smile.gif

Fortune
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Yeah, the Cancerand would have been the way I would've gone too, but when this thread started I didn't want to overstate the "Escape From New York" thing...

You can never overstate the 'Escape from New York' thing! biggrin.gif
kevyn668
Fair enough. smile.gif

But you can badmouth Escape from LA...

I hear there's an Escape From New York video game coming out. I'll be in line!
Fortune
QUOTE (kevyn668)
But you can badmouth Escape from LA...

Not to me! Even if it wasn't as good as Escape from New York, it was still better than most of the other crap in the same genre. smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Fortune)
it was still better than most of the other crap in the same genre. smile.gif

Remind me what else was in the "Escape from" genre.
Fortune
There's stuff like Deadlock, The Fortress, The Fortress 2, etc. This is not to mention most of the other lousy movies based in dystopian futuristic settings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012