Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there going to be St. Louis?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Amourgin
Hello all.

So I'm new to the forum and new to ShadowRun 4e. Been playing about 2-3 months in a St. Louis based game.
Being from St. Louis and being in an STL based game is darn exciting in the year 2071.

(this maybe should be in the community section)
My GM has been playing Shadowrun since it's birth and with 4e he has maps of STL graphed out and backgrounds and etc etc.

So my question is there going to be a book with STL in it?

I'm mean it's a border city cut in two. Great for smuggling i would say.
Is there a community project going on to help get idea's and material for it togeather that we can contribute?
Backgammon
IIRC St. Louis is "covered" in Shadows of North America. That is to say, it's mentionned in passing. Having been to St. Louis, "mentionned in passing" is enough for that place. No offense.
Stiletto
Being from Stl myself it would be really exciting to get to do a run through 2070 Stl. I actually have a friend who is talking to someone about helping to writing one. Although it would mostly just be a place to smuggle stuff across the border since the city is divided.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Stiletto @ Feb 20 2009, 12:13 AM) *
Being from Stl myself it would be really exciting to get to do a run through 2070 Stl. I actually have a friend who is talking to someone about helping to writing one. Although it would mostly just be a place to smuggle stuff across the border since the city is divided.

Would it though? Granted you've got the probable heavy traffic between the two to help hide in but heavy traffic also means increased security and surveillance. Considering that the UCAS and CAS have pretty good relations and probably an open border it could be just as easy, if not easier, to run the border out in the sticks away from any large population centres.
Stiletto
but it would still be awesome grounds for smuggling illegal things back and forth because of the rivers and miles of caves under and around the STl area. How good are relations between the nations? its been awhile since i was able to read the books.
FlakJacket
Whatever works best and is most fun for your game is best for your group. Having a quick look at a map and trying to remember where the Shadowrun borders are when the land borders are something like five or six times the length of the river border along the Mississippi south from St. Louis I'm having a hard time thinking of many goods that would have an advantage being moved over/along the river. But as I said whatever works best for you guys. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Feb 19 2009, 06:51 PM) *
IIRC St. Louis is "covered" in Shadows of North America. That is to say, it's mentionned in passing. Having been to St. Louis, "mentionned in passing" is enough for that place. No offense.

So, it's like Wales.
(No offense to the Welsh)
Ustio
Hell no – we get our own dragon – I couldn’t even find this St Louis place you speak of if you gave me a map (silly Americans and their misunderstanding of their place in the world)
Wesley Street
Grab a copy of Smuggler Havens (2nd or 3rd ed book). Grab a copy of Shadows of North America. Combine the paragraph on St. Louis with the smuggler flavor of New Orleans. Ta-dah!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ustio @ Feb 20 2009, 05:31 AM) *
Hell no – we get our own dragon – I couldn’t even find this St Louis place you speak of if you gave me a map (silly Americans and their misunderstanding of their place in the world)

I could lump in Scotland and Ireland, make a movie located there, and no one would know (or care) which country I was really in. I could even film it in New Zealand.
Kanada Ten
To answer the question, there isn't a book or project on St Louis in the works, though it would be a great community project, if your up to doing it yourself. If you'd rather not do a whole write-up on the STL sprawl, I'd love it if you wanted to add a few of your favorite "Places of Interest" to the Target: 2070 project.

On the STL interest to shadowrunners, the big game will be between nationals - corporations too small or weak to compete in the megacorp game, but protected by politics and nepotism inside their respective nations. When the nations spilt, a lot of companies became multinational overnight, stripping them of government protection, leaving them naked to megacorporate interests. Breaking the company into separate entities would protect them, giving them recourse with national courts, rather than the Corporate Court - who has no time for meager A rated companies. So your research division across the river is now a separate company from your manufacturing. Which gives you a little resilience against scandal - scandal is much more damaging to national companies. Nobody punishes other Aztechnology brands if StufferShack Nukers are contaminated with psimonella, but poisoned Busch Light will hurt Budweiser and Bud, if not the entire beer industry (meh, people would probably switch to import before giving up beer).

On the Tri-City Port - it's important. When Chi-Town went down they built ports in Gary and Milwaukee to keep goods flowing into the UCAS. But these ports were overburdened, which means goods coming up through STL, and still coming down the Muddy River, too. It's going to be a corp port, though, surrounded by automated factories. You'd have raw materials coming in from the CAS and UCAS, processed in STL and the ported out the port. I'm picturing constant zeppelin and drone trucks coming in and out of the place.

I imagine a massive multicompany project on deepening and widening The Mississippi, north and south would be going on, based in STL. Maybe they turn the toxic silt into a plascrete filler in low-income housing? Roads, perhaps? Or maybe they just dump it, and people "silt dive" for food and buried treasure. Anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012