Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extractions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Musashi Forever
Hey All, I've been out of SR for a while, but reading my old copy of "Tails You Lose" this last week made me want to get back into the universe. I have written a couple pieces of fiction before. You can find them here and here. I want to write some more and I am thinking of focusing a story on two teams of runners who fight over the college age son of a corporate bigwig. I was having trouble coming up with a reason why two different groups would fight over the kid when I thought that the reason could have something to do with his father being extracted. That led me to thinking that I don't know anything about corporate extractions so I thought that I would come here for assistance.

What do you guys know about extractions? Anything you care to say would be helpful. Many thanks.
ChipheadCharley
Well extractions come in all sizes from the jump out the nondescript black van and throw them in to the scuba dive to the yacht to knock him out and then signal the helo to come in. But, make the college kid a frat boy and have to infiltrate, or bust in. Whatever fits your style....make sure the star pitcher is a frat member and near an ice-chest of full beercans, maybe a few of the defensive line from the football team as well lol.
Browncoatone
Reasons for an extraction...Hmmm...Ok:

1. Her twin sister died of a vampire attack and some corporate researcher has gotten the idea that maybe the twins were/are immune to HMHVV.

2. The Vice President of Sales for the North American Division is deep in debt to his bookie and the Mob needs to send a message. Unfortunately for the Mob this guy isn't accessable- to them.

3. He's the hottest football star since Heisman, and his team is heavily favored this Monday night. Somebody wants to make some big money by kidnapping Mr. Football Star very publicly so as to influence the bookie odds. The twist? Can't hurt the guy as you've got to get him to his game on time so all those that bet against his team take it in the shorts. For a mini-campaign combine with #2.

4. He is the next Dali Lama- or that's what they claim. Unfortunately his parents are getting in the way of his destiny.

5. 10 years ago Sheri was the hottest Wiz-Kid at BLANK High School. She fought more than one Wiz-Kid duel during her 2 years there before being snapped up by a MIT&M recruiter. Now one of her old high school rivals thinks she's got enough mojo to set the score straight. Kidnap the witch, but don't hurt her. There's no sport if she's not 100%.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Corporate Enclaves)
Nemawash: Business terminology for the informal process of laying the foundation for any major change, this term has been coined by headhunters and fixers alike to indicate the legwork involved in preparing a major run, such as an extraction. A runner team has to dig around the roots when extracting a high level corporate employee, which may mean staging a series of consecutive runs during which the executive’s closest aides, secretaries, personal assistants, and often their families must be extracted before the executive is capable of working for his new employer.

All Takase could think about that semester was spring break. Just him and his three best friends. A whole week without parents or classes or counselors breathing down his neck. A whole week without gravity even! He'd been daydreaming about the Shibanokuji orbital when not playing continuous loops of their brochure. His schoolwork was starting to suffer. So much so that his sponsorship mentor has called him to the meatworld office to remind him of his obligations to the contract, and he had even offered Takase meds to help him concentrate, which he reluctantly took. No sense losing sponsorship now, not after spending the last six years jumping through Ares Space hoops to get it.

Ryutaro realized they would never promote him again. He would spend the rest of his life as Associate Coordinator while they rotate idiot after idiot into the Senior position and leave him. Someone has to know what's going on, after all; someone, has to explain how things work to whatever bright eyed fool found himself as Senior Coordinator of Aeronautic Resources. They all seemed to have degrees in Marketing, and even chipped up on the disciplines involved never understood cost to product ratios ("Wouldn't it be a real coup if we had a squadron of rockets buzz the orbitals, dropping fireworks and shit as they passed. Yeah, a real coup!" Insanity!). Ryutaro understood that and he'd slept through Relativity Economics. A part of him had accepted the position, accepted Associate Coordinator as his adjunct name and title. His wife was doing well, moving up the ladder with a grace and ease that made Ryutaro feel clumsy and socially inept. Another part of him resented it, resented that his wife's success came at the cost of his success. The acceptance and resentment churned inside him, but quietly. Then his son, his brilliant and courageous son Takase took a sponsorship from Ares Space - against his advice and with his mother's blessing. Ryutaro wouldn't allow his son to follow in his footsteps to a life of regret and resentment. It was then that Shibata Corp approached him with a proposition...

Oops, that's three sides. Ryutaro wants Shibata to extract him and his son, Takase's mother and Ares Space have other plans for the boy, and Evo, while Takase is on the Shibanokuji orbital, might make him an offer - or perhaps they just want to use him as a bargaining chip with Ares...
ludomastro
QUOTE (Browncoatone @ Feb 22 2009, 11:08 PM) *
2. The Vice President of Sales for the North American Division is deep in debt to his bookie and the Mob needs to send a message. Unfortunately for the Mob this guy isn't accessable- to them.

3. He's the hottest football star since Heisman, and his team is heavily favored this Monday night. Somebody wants to make some big money by kidnapping Mr. Football Star very publicly so as to influence the bookie odds. The twist? Can't hurt the guy as you've got to get him to his game on time so all those that bet against his team take it in the shorts. For a mini-campaign combine with #2.

5. 10 years ago Sheri was the hottest Wiz-Kid at BLANK High School. She fought more than one Wiz-Kid duel during her 2 years there before being snapped up by a MIT&M recruiter. Now one of her old high school rivals thinks she's got enough mojo to set the score straight. Kidnap the witch, but don't hurt her. There's no sport if she's not 100%.

And combining these three should leave a lot of laughs as number 5 is the opposing runner team.
Pendaric
Low level extraction against someone without defences for someone with power/cause for an agenda.

Person with info that would provide a strategic edge in a contested field of profit, pr or power

Person with a unique/ rare talent/ skill set that would provide a strategic edge in a contested field of profit, pr or power.

Someone one that would provide power over someone of the above criteria.

Someone seeking to escape from on orgainisation to another more agreeable circumstance when prevented because of above criteria.

I think that covers the basic reasons/motivations for any extraction. Create back story of choosing.
Method
Its important to remember that not all extractions are "hostile". I think extracting a high-level exec is more likely to be involuntary, where-as a midlevel employee can be either voluntary or involuntary, depending on his/her circumstances.

Implicit in the term "wageslave" is that mid-level slags (i.e.- the ones who actually do the work and know what's going on) are wholly-owned "assets" of their corp. In contrast, high-level execs actually hold some sway- they can pull strings and maneuver through the halls of power to advance their own agendas or improve their lot in life. But a mid-level wageslave is basically just that- destined to toil away, producing new avenues of profit for the corp, just to ensure his family has a crappy apartment in the corp's housing complex and his kid can get a crappy education at the corp run school. The alternative is death (immediate at the hands of the corp), SINlessness (i.e.- death later in the gutter of some neighborhood in the Barrens) or extraction.

Of coarse there is no guarantee that his new owners are going to be more beneficent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012