Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why are Flash-Paks in Grenade Section?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Epic101
Hello all, first post.

My group started running Shadowrun 4e this weekend. We liked the system overall but we were stumped by the use of the Flash-Pak.

What is the range of this device. Is it really a grenade?

One of the two things we thought it was:
1) a high tech flash-bang grenade that had a 10m area of effect for the -4 to all dice pools on attack tests. So that anyone within the 10m area of effect would be effected by this minus. The flash emitted is a omni-directional strobe effect. The Flash-Pak would then be thrown just like a grenade and be subject to scatter.
2.) this Flash-Pak is a device that you point in a certain direction and anyone looking back at the device has the -4 to all dice pools. This way it acts as a shoulder mounted vision impairing device that does not let anyone directly look at the person wering the device without some blinding effect.

Since it was in the grenade section our GM went with option 1.

Can anyone here give me and my gaming group an idea what this device is?

Thanks in advance for your help.
imperialus
It is an odd little gizmo.

Treat it like a grenade and it's almost useless. After all, if the PC's throw it into a room before going in themselves they'll be just as blind

Treat it as a device that you point towards your target and suddenly you have PC's running around with strobe lights attached to their heads... a very odd mental picture.

My group has always gone with option 2, though we have never let it get strapped onto anything either.

Bascially what it ends up getting used for is an expensive means to cover an escape. You're running from corpsec, they're shooting at you. You place the flash pack on the ground facing them and leg it in the opposite direction. Sometimes that gives you the edge you need to escape.
Matsci
Flashpacks are easy to use. You set them to cycle at greater than 60 Hertz, and sync the group's cybereyes to go off when they flash.
Gawdzilla
I suppose you could treat it as directional, although it doesn't specify in the rules, it just says that it affects "anyone facing it". I always figured that the way to use it was to toss it behind you, so that the people firing at you would be facing it, but you wouldn't.
Draco18s
Hit team used one on us recently (aka last week) by all using ultrasound for vision. The pinger of which the cybersam quickly destroyed (we all had ultrasound due to the awesome combination of Astral Hazed Gnome with Radar Sense and comlinks).
TheOOB
I tape a flashpack to my smart pistol and use it to blind enemies before I pop out of cover.
JaronK
I've played around a few times with characters that use alternate vision (usually astral sight and ultrasound vision) along with flashpacks and IR smoke... that works pretty well. And yes, that does involve taping flash packs to the character's chest and back.

JaronK
Blade
You can throw it in a room before going in (going between the first and the second flash) or throw it/carry it when retreating to avoid getting hit.
Or you can use alternate vision mode, even if thermographic vision might also be affected.
kanislatrans
I run two ferrets with flashpaks strapped to the front(up and over the sensor package). a quick command script of:

1) locate tagged target
2) activate flashpak
3)perform evasive maneuvers
4) Self-destruct code: wild weasel
5) upon receiveing SDC advance to target.
6)at target activate device 2( HE grenade hardwired into drone)
7) if no SDC code, continue evasicve maneuvers and await further instructions.

It works well..although I always end up sending the SDC for some reason...but then, ferrets are cheap. grinbig.gif
Straight Razor
flashpacks are just digital flash bangs, with 2 perks.
1 they can run for several rounds as opposed to just 1
2 flare comp dose not work against them. as they are arrhythmic and continus the flare comps hinder you as much as the flashing would.

as for the directional thing goes, there simple enough electronice, thay could be modified to ether configuration with a pretty simple b/r electronics check. If they don't come off the shelf in both designe, or hell even have a mode switch on them.
Sir_Psycho
I either wear one on my chest to give negative modifiers for enemy fire or in the case of an ambush I gecko tape it to a wall as a hindrance and a distraction. A great piece of gear.
Ed_209a
I think flashpacks should have been in Security Devices, not grenades.

I have always pictured the flashpack being directional, but neither the description, or the pic in SSC say for sure.

I think they should be available in an omnidirectional version and a unidirectional version. And the unidirectional should be available as a weapon mount. Maybe the uni is -6/-3 (or perhaps the omni would be -2/-1)

I thought of the synchronized flashpack/flare comp idea too. I even mentioned it to my Ref once, but we were already badass enough, I let it drop (that, and he wasn't very comfortable going off the canon reservation.)
BlueMax
QUOTE (Matsci @ Feb 24 2009, 11:11 PM) *
Flashpacks are easy to use. You set them to cycle at greater than 60 Hertz, and sync the group's cybereyes to go off when they flash.

This means you left one of them open on wireless, yes?
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 25 2009, 11:02 AM) *
This means you left one of them open on wireless, yes?

I often skinlink.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Feb 25 2009, 07:24 AM) *
I often skinlink.

In the case of the whole group? KINKY!
InfinityzeN
As a weapons mount they would only *REALLY* be useful on pistols. Most of the time if your using something bigger you will be shooting at targets over 10m away. They are very nice for an ambush, especially if you link them up to one of the triggers and ether wireless it or set it them off by fiberoptic. Just make sure all the shooters on your team are more then 10m away from them.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Feb 25 2009, 11:28 AM) *
As a weapons mount they would only *REALLY* be useful on pistols.

Replace "on pistols" with "in close quarter battle" and I will agree with you 100%. Every day, worldwide, lots of people are in room-to-room gunfights with everything from pistols to light machine guns.
ThreeGee
2.) this Flash-Pak is a device that you point in a certain direction and anyone looking back at the device has the -4 to all dice pools. This way it acts as a shoulder mounted vision impairing device that does not let anyone directly look at the person wering the device without some blinding effect.

They first appeared in the Street Samurai Catalogue, the first sourcebook for SR1. There was a picture and a description.

They were then about the size and shape of a cigarette packet, with the light source at the top of the front face. The idea was you could wear them, maybe on your chest or helmet or place them at strategic points.

Over the years the description seems to have been lost, but your option 2 is closest to the original intention.
BlueMax
QUOTE (ThreeGee @ Feb 25 2009, 02:24 PM) *
They first appeared in the Street Samurai Catalogue, the first sourcebook for SR1. There was a picture and a description.

They were then about the size and shape of a cigarette packet, with the light source at the top of the front face. The idea was you could wear them, maybe on your chest or helmet or place them at strategic points.

Over the years the description seems to have been lost, but your option 2 is closest to the original intention.

Thank you. I intended to look this up in one of my copies of the SSC and then post a description but Work and Family got in the way.

BlueMax
/And no, I do not work for "the family"
//honest
Earlydawn
QUOTE (JaronK @ Feb 25 2009, 05:53 AM) *
I've played around a few times with characters that use alternate vision (usually astral sight and ultrasound vision) along with flashpacks and IR smoke... that works pretty well. And yes, that does involve taping flash packs to the character's chest and back.

JaronK
This is way too awesome. rotfl.gif
EvilP
I am so bringing flash-paks with me from now on.

How would throwing flash-paks work with a really low throwing dice pool and a good chance of no hits? Say you want to clear a room and toss one in while rolling 2-4 dice. Does it just get a lot of scatter?
MatrixJargon
I always have a flash-pak, you can ask my team. We find cover and I strap it to the front of cover so it's going off at the enemies, blinding them so we can shoot at them, or hell I just strap it to my body in straight up run and gun fights. I'm a support character but damn if my party doesn't find a use for me in a fire fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012