Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little confused and in doubt
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Metapunk
My group and I will start our shadowrun campaign next month, and we got some pretty interesting character concepts, we have been playing a few one shot games, and now we have about two weeks with char gen and approving.

My big question is now, one of the players has a character concept that needs some more BP, and the others have also complained about too little BP, it is a little higher power game. So we thought of increasing the BP by 50, =450 BP, any1 tried this? and does it work just as fine. I know it will take more from the GM (me) and I am up for it.

think it can fly like this?
Medicineman
Shure,Why not
There's nor Rule Police running down your Door and arresting you for giving your players more BP.
I myself have some Chars build with 420 to 450 Points because they were converted from SR3 and with this little Boost,they seemed to me much more playable.
So,if your Group is happy with it, go for 450 BP
or use the Karmagen System from Runners Compendium smile.gif

HokaHey
Medicineman
Metapunk
we only got BBB, arsenal, augmentation and street magic, and we will pick up unwired during our campaign. Runners companion is not on my most wanted list.

I think we will get some good games with all players happy, and it will certainly make my voodoo mage some more fun:)
Naysayer
There shouldn't be a problem with starting with a few more BP, chargen burns them like crazy anyway.
However, if this is your first time playing, I would recommend starting the game as RAW as possible. Sure, you may have the feeling that your character is underpowered or lacking, or not entirely true to the concept. But there is no telling really unless you try it out.
Personally, though I do hate the feeling of finishing chargen with a character that still feels not quite right, I think that part of the fun lies in ironing the remaining imperfections out in-game with karma.
Besides, it's not like 400BP set you up with just a mewling babe...
But as I said, that's just, you know, my opinion, man, so feel free to experiment, and it has to be an extremely lazy day at HQ to get the gaming-police crashing your flat for just a meager 450 BP.
JFixer
Why not just tone down the power level of your game? Give people room to expand rather than min-maxing and making power builds. We've seen some pretty terrifying characters come out of 400BP, and that includes vampires with the hefty 100bp price tag, and straight sams chunked out of the BBB with nothing from the moderate power creep splatbooks.

Lower your expectations, there are hard caps on advancement in SR4. Killing people with five dice is no harder than killing people with eleven.
Metapunk
it was not my idea to increase the BP cap. I just found it an okay idea, as long as all get the bonus.

the power level is still the same even though they have 50 points more. tir ghost still hurt when they are encountered.

and we have played games in SR before, just now we start our campaign.
raggedhalo
I'd say no, kep to 400BP for now. Remind them that skills of 3 are reflective of something you could do professionally and thus don't need to be super-high.
suppenhuhn
More BP shift the scale towards magic users quite a bit, so you may want to allow your mundanes some extra goodies or raise the money cap.
Draco18s
Remember: that's what Karma is for.

If you have somewhere you want your character to go, it's called growth. You start there and it's stagnation. wink.gif
ElFenrir
I'd say try 450. It's not going to inflate the power level extremely so. If most of your players would like to, it really won't hurt. Trust me, we started using 750 Karma and stuff hasn't gone out of whack. 50 extra BP is not much in the end. 450 also leaves room for PLENTY of growth(hell, 500 leaves room for growth. In fact, I'd say anything short of 600 BP would leave room for growth. Karmagen, typically seen as a bit more powerful, leaves plenty of room for it.)

I'd say try some 450 chargen and see how it looks. I personally predict no more than 1-2 more on some die pools and a smattering of more rounding skills to come from the whole thing. smile.gif
ICPiK
i agree with the growth option if your already @ the top of the food chain theres no drive. Some of my best memories of characters is going from a street ganger with a screwdriver into a full fledged shadowrunner. Getting the good gear and ware and carving out a place amongst the sharks....
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Feb 26 2009, 08:35 AM) *
More BP shift the scale towards magic users quite a bit, so you may want to allow your mundanes some extra goodies or raise the money cap.

This is important. I often have trouble creating well rounded magicians, because their magic attribute, qualities, spells, and drain stats chew up a lot of BP, and it doesn't leave much room for them to be competent at shadowrunning (you often have to skimp on things like the Stealth group, Athletics group, Social skill group physical attributes, and all of those little skills that really help a shadowrunner like Perception, Dodge, etc. Of course, a magician can usually have a few limited competent abilities in skills linked to their drain stat, such as Charisma mages making passable faces.

And also, like suppenhuhn said, if you raise the build point limit, you also have to raise or do away with things like the 200 BP attribute cap, 50 BP resource cap, etc. it'll also give you some points to grab a decent range of contacts.
ElFenrir
It is possible to build a solid combat-mage under 400 BP, but yeah, 450 BP gives it a bit more breathing room(but it's still not overpowered.)

Really, 450 BP is not a gross inflation of power. There will again still be tons of growth room, and since most limits are still in play(only allowed to max 1 attribute at start, keep skills to 1 6/rest 4 or less, or 2 5's rest 4 or less), and you will not see a big inflation.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hmm, +50BP will basically cover resources and contacts whilst they use the otherr 400BP to ramp up their attributes and acquire a broad range of skills, most likely from skill groups. Not really ground-shakingly unbalanced, but as some of the others have said they'll be advancing to powerful characters more rapidly as their essential bases are covered. This goes doubly for magicians who should have to sacrifice the mundane skills and attributes to practice their art/craft. If they want to be all rounders, then drop some magic capability to do so.

However, that said, if you are running a campaign that is set for a more professional, experienced runner - IE: someone who has been in the shadows for a while (at least a few years) rather than your 400BP noob/apprentice, then go for it. Just remember to match up the opposition accordingly. I usually found that with new players (new to Shadowrun that is) they needed some break-in time to get used to the world and what running was all about. sometimes, having a higher starting character BP can ease them into the game as they don't suddenly find themselves short of a critical skill or ability or item in the middle of a run. Something a more experienced Shadowrun player would look to purchase off the mark (like dodge, perception and body armour). Once the players get used to the game world then should their initial characters die, reduce the BPs for their next one. (Especially if they just decide to chop and change characters trying to max them out each time.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012