Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bank Roll Call
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kanada Ten
We all know that the USA was in bad shape even before the Seretech Decision, but things only got worse after that. Budget deficits, universal health care, balkanization, lost tax revenue, and so on and so on, all led to the UCAS as a rather weak player. Yet, come 2070, and she's got some dough, an expansionist military, territory gains (ok, Council Island isn't a lot of territory, but stay with me), and the absorption of many SINless (initial loss, possible long term gain).

We all know the New Revolution is supporting the Colloton Administration, but where's the money coming from? Revolutions aren't cheap, after all. I'm thinking there's a likely answer in Threats 2, System Failure or maybe Emergence, but I digress.

However, I thought listing the banks we know of wouldn't be a bad idea, and if any of you have a bank I missed, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Angeles Fidelity Bank (LA?)
Asian Bank (Currency)

Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior - BANCOMEXT (Aztlan, Aztechnology group)
Bank of Bengal & Calcutta (India)
Bank of America (Ares)
Barclay's (UK)
Bezpieczny Bank (Poland, KOB group)
Brackhaven Investments (Seattle)

Champion Financial Group (Renraku)
- Globank and Temperance Investments
Chang Bank (China, ShinSiam group)
CNI (Portugal, Lusiada group)

Danske Bank (Denmark, Maersk group)
Dassurn Securities & Investments (UCAS)

Eastern Financial

First Kentucky (UCAS)
Frankfurter Bankverein - FBV (Germany)

Genfer Bank (Geneva)

Hildebrandt-Kleinfort-Bernal - HKB (UK)
Houston Premier Bank (CAS?)

Ifrit Services[/i] (Arabia)
[b]Index-Axa
(France)
Islamic Cooperative Developement Bank (Arabia)

Lombardier & Zienz Financial Consulting (Geneva)

Malaysian Independent Bank (PPG)
Manhattan Citibank (Citibank?)
Metabank (Evo group)

Pacific Rim Bank (?)
PanEuropa Bank

Saeder-Krupp (S-K)
-Commerzbank
-Dresdner Bank
-Swiss Bank Corporation
Silicon Valley Virtual Bank (CFS?)
Spanish Bank (Spain)

United Bank of Panama
UNL Banking Group (Netherlands, Regulus group)

Vatican Bank (Vatican City)
Vereinte Kantonsbank (Geneva)

Woods-Gordon
Wuxing Financial Services (Hong Kong, Wuxing group)

Xenel-Oman (Arabia)

Zürich Investments Bank AG (Switzerland, Zurich Investments group)
Zurich-Orbital Gemeinschaftsbank
BishopMcQ
I'm pretty sure that all of the megas have a bank of their own--either internal use only or also available to the public. Maybe check Corporate Download...
Nath
You can add at least

Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior - BANCOMEXT (Aztlan, Aztechnology group)
Bank of Bengal & Calcutta (India)
Barclay's (UK)
Bezpieczny Bank (Poland, KOB group)
Chang Bank (China, ShinSiam group)
CNI (Portugal, Lusiada group)
Danske Bank (Denmark, Maersk group)
Dassurn Securities & Investments (UCAS)
Eastern Financial
First Kentucky (UCAS)
Islamic Cooperative Developement Bank
Metabank (Evo group)
PanEuropa Bank
United Bank of Panama
UNL Banking Group (Netherlands, Regulus group)
Woods-Gordon
Wuxing Financial Services (Hong Kong, Wuxing group)
Xenel-Oman (Arabia)
Zürich Investments Bank AG (Switzerland, Zurich Investments group)
Kanada Ten
Added, thank you, Nath; along with three from Feral Cities.
Phylos Fett
Looks like Australia doesn't have any banks in the future (at least in SR wink.gif ).
pbangarth
It doesn't appear as if any Canadian banks made it into the books, either.
Nath
QUOTE (Darth Phylos @ Feb 27 2009, 07:06 AM) *
Looks like Australia doesn't have any banks in the future (at least in SR wink.gif ).
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 27 2009, 08:06 AM) *
It doesn't appear as if any Canadian banks made it into the books, either.

The overall number of banks mentionned in Shadowrun ain't a high one. Then, the numbers of corporations, from Australia and Canada, whatever their business is, ain't higher. This has more to do with the authors' different approaches and styles, when you compare Corporate Download, SoNA, SoE, SoA and T:AL.

Still, Toronto is supposed to be the third financial place in the UCAS, behind New York and Boston. But it doesn't appear as if the C of UCAS made it into the books, either.

Since the dismantling of the zaibatsu in post-war Japan, the combination of banking and industrial assets into a single group has become rare ; the credit branch of General Motors being one exception. Otherwise, you only see that kind of things in emerging or third world countries, where local moguls own banks, phone companies and whatever else. The reason behind this is that western corporate laws and accountancy rules discourage such association. The Glass-Steagall Act and subsequent laws were at the core of this issue in the US. A successful industrial corporation delays payments and keeps the minimum amount of cash immobilized. A bank cannot do so. And similar restrictions applies to insurances as well.

Moreover, IRL, shareholding is spread out and volatile. People like to know how their investments will evolve (or at, least believe so). That's why business streamlined and try to focus and a narrow set of activities.
Take Ares Macrotechnology for example. They're in the aerospace business, defense, security services, automotive, media... None of those business follow the same cycle of activity. If in the same month, AGE's Grand Runner Auto XVI is a huge hit, GM must recall thousands of cars, KE gets the police contract for Minneapolis, Ares Arms wins the Czech combat vehicles contract and AresSpace lost two sats. So, is the Ares Macrotechnology share value going up or down ? Hard to tell. Then add Bank of America into the mix, which must comply to laws regarding banks' cash reserves and so on...
But "luckily", SR megacorporations shareholding is not spread out and volatile. About 65% of Ares capital is held by only three people. You can see that two ways. Either megacorporate shareholders are more interest in cheer power than in the exact mount of money they win, either they simply adopted a Warren Buffet-style long-term approach.

nezumi
Do keep in mind, some of these banks won't lend to private individuals (or even governments). They're going to be more like the Federal Reserve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012