Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IC] Behind the Shadows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chrysalis
[Sorry that was after a month of not doing anything. That was the father's perception roll to see if anything was amiss. But I'll turn it around and also ask people to make a perception roll of 5 as well]

The Professor sees, two human spoiled kids, one human mother who has an ulcer and a human father who is having to shoulder more responsiblility than he should. And a troll with no fashion sense.
pbangarth
OK, well Professor sneaks into the condo, then, among the turmoil and noise of a typical family Thanksgiving get-together. He makes sure to wipe his feet. wink.gif

"I'm in."
crizh
Cruze spends most of the morning going through the sensor records trying to find the Dog-killer and trace his route. The nagging possibility that he might still be hiding somewhere in the vicinity keeping her adrenaline flowing.

When the news of the hit on the partial fingerprint comes in she decides to take a more pro-active stance and returns to her role as electrician.

She spends the afternoon working on the wiring in the empty house and then as evening approaches she moves into the roofspace and settles in to monitor the feeds on-site as things develop.

[Perception: 4 Hits.]
Chrysalis
[Everything seems to be in order, nothing out of place, even the Professor got in alright.]
bmcoomes
Passing on the information Warrior reseaved. Doing his rounds and team tasks.

[Perception: 5 hits]
pbangarth
<<Man, these family gatherings are -so- boring! And that troll kid! If he eats one more helping I will vomit!>>
SincereAgape
Meanwhile at their safe house Fairfax, Toreador tempts the idea of dropping the Professor's invisibility spell. But quickly erases that thought from his mind.

Using his commlink, he sends a text.

"Professor, did you remember to take a shower this morning? My invisibility spell will not mask the foul odor of stubby little dwarfs. Toreador is en route to the haven, through the astral world. I will be offline for however long it takes."

The elf makes his way into a closet and slumps his body against the wall. Closing his eyes, he makes haste to the area outside of the apartment. The astral world of Northern Virgina comes to life before him.

Chrysalis
Pre-dinner proceeds normally and everything is as it could be. Even the Professor avoids being the small objects under foot and over enthusiastic children. As they are finishing their salad the doorbell rings. One of the girls keeps surreptiously dropping a piece of lettuce one the floor.

"Susan, quit dropping food on the floor."

"But mom," the youngest one said, "it's for the house elf."

The mother looks suitably chargrined and the rest of the group try to avoid chuckling.

Outside the group sees a car park itself on the curb, a man with with white and blue spiked hair and numerous studs in his ears and face stepped out of the car. He's wearing a nondescript black and white suit and AR goggles. He rings the doorbell, he seems to have something in his hand.

[Astral]
[ Spoiler ]

"Now I wonder who this is?" Karkoff says, getting up to get the door.

"That's alright dad, I'll get it." She looks at Susan worriedly and she grins at her and drops a piece of goat cheese on the floor, when her mother is not looking.

She opens the door "Yes?"

"Karkoff residence? Special delivery."

"Hang on I'll get dad. Dad?" She looks at him warily, but when she looks over her shoulder he moves adderlike and rabbit punches her in the kidneys, pushing her back into house and closing the door coolly behind him.
SincereAgape
The elf waited in the astral world right in front of Karkoff's townhouse. Hovering above a parked car, he watched as the intruder approached the home. When, the "Punk" kidney punched the little girl, Toreador scowled in disgust. In response he flew back to his astral body which was less then ten miles away and promptly registered himself on the teams private subvocal channel.

<<"I assume all of you see him. The intruder is a mundane, with a very strange aura, and is currently in a very gregarious emotional state. I hope all of you do your worst.">>

He was about close his eyes again, so he could return to the astral world once again and provide the necessary support. But before doing so, he sends Cruze a very quick text.

<<Encrypted to Cruze. "How was your date? It better have been with an elf.">>
pbangarth
Professor will Boost his AGI and REA (simple action each), then, as he draws his pistol, he will message the team that an intruder has broken in and has punched the daughter. Professor will fire at the intruder, surprising him presumably, if Professor has any indication the intruder is about to do major harm. (Damn Pacifist Quality!)

Boost Attribute: MAG 6 + Power Focus 4 + Boost Attribute 1 = 11 dice

AGI ==> 5 hits Agility now 3 + 5 = 8 Pistol dice pool 11

REA==> 2 hits Reaction now 3 + 2 = 5 Initiative 9 (1 IP)
Chrysalis
The punk smiles at the group holding the woman in a hold, her arm twisted behind her back.

"Hi, doctor. Long time no meat. There are two ways this works. The fun way or the really fun way. This includes all your friends too. Why don't you invite them in for a party. The roast smells yummy."

He takes out a side arm, and points it up behind the jaw of the woman. "Frack you." The woman says. He leans forward and something cracks in her pinned arm. He drops her in a dinner chair and slams her head against the table. "Don't even try it little man. I saw you palm the knife the moment I walked in." He looks at the husband and grins.

The gun loads itself as he points it at her head. "So what will it be, her brains on the wall or yours."

The problem now is that if the Professor fires at the man, the gun will go off and most likely kill the woman. The punk may act and behave crazy, but he hasn't missed a beat and his actions are trained.
SincereAgape
From the astral world. Toreador enters Karkoff's apartment and views the entire scene before him. He looks at the Professor and screams in the astral world.

"Shoot him ditbrain! Shoot him!
pbangarth
Professor is perceiving Astrally, using Heightened Concentration to overcome the distracting effect.

"We could use this guy alive. But they are in deep drek. I'm not good enough to shoot his hand away. At the very least, this should distract him, maybe reflexively turn to deal with me," Professor thinks to himself. Professor nimbly and swiftly moves to behind the aggressor, not close enough to touch him with the gun, and says calmly (This also goes out on our commlink) , "The only way three guns aimed at you don't blow you away, blue boy, is if you drop the weapon."

If there is any clue that due to surprise or whatever the weapon is diverted momentarily from the woman (like maybe towards Karkoff himself, or around to get Professor), but not dropped, even in the middle of the above speech, Professor will fire. If Assensing the aggressor gives a clue he is about to fire, Professor will fire. If the aggressor starts shooting, Professor will fire. If the aggressor is hardcore, and he maintains a bead on the woman, then Professor will continue to delay and distract until more of the team arrive.

Assensing: INT 4 + Assensing 5 + active looking 3 = 12 dice ==> 6 hits

If any of the conditions above for firng are met:

Ares Predator IV, base DV 5P, AP -1

1st shot: 11 dice ==> 2 hits + EDG 9 dice ==> 2 more hits, total of 4 hits
2nd shot: 10 dice ==> 4 hits + EDG 6 dice ==> 4 more hits, total of 8 hits

[OOC: All his EDG wil be used up if it goes down like this]

"How come this is not going down the way the other murders went?"
Chrysalis
"Where's Albert? Where's Albert old man. I have been following you around for a while now, and I really do not need anymore pissing off! Unless you tell me where he is in the next 5 seconds she'll be dead."

Karkoff gets in front of him and looks at him. "Look you don't want to do this. Put down the gun and we can talk."

"I don't want to talk, I want him. I know you five met last month."

He squeezes her arm and the daughter screams. "Don't you dare bullshit me."

The father is gently trying to push the kids into the other room. "You don't move. You don't want to miss what happens next."

The troll sort of stands there trying to figure out what to do. His breath is coming out in shorter gasps. He launches himself across the table in a oxen cry at the punk.

[initiative rolls for those in the room. Peter you get a free shot off at the punk if you want.]
pbangarth
[OOC: OK. I figure this last interchange happens before Professor gets to speak.]

"Damn! The boy had to be brave! He and the girl are going to die."

GM, Professor fires at the gunman as per the rolls above.
Chrysalis
The firt shot goes wild and the second shot hits, the gun flying out of the punk's hand. The two are really wrestling on the floor, but the man gets the slow upper hand, slowly pinning him to the ground. His leg looking for purchase so as to break the troll's neck. Sweat is pouring out of the man's face and he looks like he is turning red.
pbangarth
[OOC: OK, now I get to use the nickname. Reading over the past few posts, I realize I was countering two different negative modifiers with Heightened Concentration: The sustained Improved Invisibility and the Astral perception. Sorry. So, the Astral is dropped. Besides, Professor doesn't want to listen to Toreador anymore. grinbig.gif ]

If Initiative matters: 7 + 1 hit = 8.

Professor puts his gun to the back of the punk's head, so he can feel it. "Stop fighting, blue boy, or die now."
Chrysalis
The punk squeezes once and lets go of the troll. He continues to grin "C'mon Domovoi, you don't have the guts."
pbangarth
"Dr. Karkoff and family, I assure you there is a body to go with this voice. For now, the little girl's ... 'house elf' ... will do as identification. I would suggest, Sir, you have your family move to another room in case blue boy here decides to test my resolve. Given the nature of this situation, it would be best if no call for assistance be made to the authorities. You have all you need at the moment, including medical assistance for the lady, which will be given her forthwith. Ladies and gentlemen, please be assured we mean you and Dr. Karkoff no harm. Take our intervention in this incident as proof of our goodwill towards you all."

Professor waits for the family to retire to another room.

"Dr. Karkoff, your questions, of which undoubtedly there are many, will be answered in due course. Suffice it to say at the moment that saving your life is important to some people, and that they believe you are in danger, different from this one. For now, I would like you to explain to me, the one who just shot your assailant, and is prepared to do so again, what this man is doing here, who Albert is, and whether the other three in the five blue boy mentioned are Miller, Turner and Parnell."
pbangarth
[subvocalized:]

<<Team: I could use some backup in here. Karkoff knows someone is watching him, so complete secrecy is shot. Blackie, could you please ensure the door will be open for the backup?>>
Chrysalis
Dr Karkoff think about it a bit and insists that everyone be in the other room, "I have never seen this man before. As for Miller, Turner, and Parnell. They were my twins. Albert was the first of us, but he is suffering from cancer. He's been in Bethesda for six months now."
pbangarth
Professor carefully chooses his words so as not to give any new information to blue boy. "By first do you mean the first ... twin ... or the ... progenitor ... of all the twins?"
Chrysalis
Karkoff sits down at the end of the table, "there was Edward Turner, David Miller, Charles Parnell, Robert "Bob" Karkoff, and Albert Kingston. Albert was the first of us. A to E. Our father died in Kyrgystan many, many years ago. We never met him. What are you going to do with him?"
pbangarth
"Your home invader, here? That depends on him. Blue boy, this man says he doesn't know you. Why did you break in here and violently seek information about Albert? Who is he to you?"
Chrysalis
Blue boy grins "Well considering that the information is a bit redundant by now, my target. The last one in a long line of happy occasions. You might also take the roast out of the oven. Smells like it may be a little burnt. I could kill for a smoke."
pbangarth
<<Crizh in the attic, Warrior outside, anybody else nearby! Get in here! Firebomb in the kitchen! The bird in the oven!>>

"Dr. Karkoff, please ensure your family is not in the kitchen. Nastiness may happen there soon. So, blue boy, your job is done, then. Would you like to let us in on why all these people needed to die? Honestly, you don't look like the type to move in their circles. Who hired you?"

Professor opens astrally to perceive truth, and to communicate with Toreador. Professor fills him in on details, and before Toreador hurtles back to his body, asks him if he can probe minds.
Chrysalis
Blue boy goes for his suit pocket and seeing how he gun is pointed at his head, he slowly pulls it aside to reveal his cigarette pack. He takes out a cigarette and lights it. "Coffin nail?" He says giggling offering a cigarette from the pack.
pbangarth
"Drop the cigarettes and matches and whatever or I shoot you now! Drop it!"

Professor emphasizes the shout with a nudge to the back of blue boy's head with the pistol. if the aggressor fails to comply, Professor will shoot him. if he complies, Professor will continue to interrogate.

"Answer my questions."

<<This guy is all about fire, chummers. By this and his earlier admission, it seems like he is the perpetrator.">>
Chrysalis
He holds a cigarette in his hand and a lighter in the other "Tell you what, I get my cigarette and you get all your little questions answered. Deal?" He sighs and drops the lighter, but keeps hold of the cigarette. "I am dying for a smoke. How about you?"
pbangarth
"I will not tell you again. No incendiaries, no inflammables, or you die. That includes the thing you are 'dying for' now. Drop it!"
Chrysalis
Blue boy drops the cigarette.
pbangarth
"Thank you. Now, if you would be so kind, answer my questions. Why have you eliminated the twins? Who contracted you to do so?"
pbangarth
<<Where the FRAG is everybody? A fucking bookworm is interrogating a serial killer, innocents need immediate medical attention, and somewhere in here, either the bird or these cigarettes or something is a firebomb waiting to explode! I'm losing my chill here, people.">>
Mickle5125
<<I'm here now>> Dick subvocalizes as he slips in through the front door. <<Unfortunately, he timed it as I was at the furthest point of my patrol.>>

Dick immediately grabs blue boy's cigarettes away from him as he sweeps into the room and tosses them out the nearest window. "Eve'nin', doc," he drawls with a faint southern accent. "Don' mind us. Just a lil' pest control, ya know? On the other hand..." He turns from Karkoff to Professor. "Why hasn't anyone moved our friend and his family out of the obvious danger zone yet?" He pulls his gun and aims it calmly at the suspect. "I'll watch the genius, here. You go ahead and get everyone to somewhere safe, alright?"

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
When reinforcement arrives(Dick that is), Professor drops the invisibility he has been maintaining on himself. "Thanks. Blue boy here has yet to answer why he has been killing the twins, and who has contracted him to do so. I will go help the family, who actually are in the studio suite now, far from the kitchen and this room."

Professor puts away his pistol and moves to the room where the family is huddled. They are clearly distraught, and some, the husband and the troll, appear to be on the edge of breaking. "Hello. I am the 'house elf' the little girl noticed earlier." He smiles at her. "Please, let me attend to the lady's wounds. The matter is being taken well in hand now. I cannot tell you much, but we have been aware of danger to Dr. Karkoff for a while, as a number of people in his field have been targets for violence lately. We have held him under surveillance for a while now, waiting for just such an occurrence. Your bravery ma'am may have saved the good doctor's life." Looking at the troll, "And yours too. He is lucky to have such a family."

Assuming he is allowed to do so, Professor will apply First Aid to the lady's wounds while the rest of the team deals with the intruder. "You are a very perceptive little girl. Your parents must be very proud of you. If you would like to watch, let me show you how I help your mother."

First Aid: LOG 5 + Skill 1 + medkit 6 = 12 dice ==> 4 hits ==> 2 net hits.

"That bandaging and splint should hold you ma'am till you can get further treatment. The pain reliever will kick in shortly."

After helping the woman, Professor will open up to the astral and Assense the girl. How did she know he was there?

Assensing: INT 4 + Skill 5 + active looking 3 = 12 dice ==> 4 hits

[OOC: There. This should keep Professor busy for a few moments, while the rest of the team gets to do stuff.]
Chrysalis
Blue boy gets off the floor brushing off his suit self-consciously and sniffs the air. "Looks like the roast is going to burn. Go on be a champ and take it out, before the big firemen come."

There is certainly the smell of something acrid in the air.
crizh
When the door bell goes Cruze slips quietly into the elevator and swiftly exits it onto the 3rd floor when violence erupts.

Rapidly she exits onto the terrace and drops down, first to the Master Bedroom's terrace and then down to ground level. As she enters the building through the Great Room she is already running through recordings she made earlier of the interior of the building.

Sweeping into the kitchen she lifts the fire extinguisher from it's wall bracket ready to use it on the uninvited guest just as the Prof starts to interrogate him.

The would be Assassin's fixation with the lunch menu causes her to pause, check to insure nothing obviously explosive was in the oven, before flipping the master breaker for the kitchen and fill the oven with fire-suppressant for good measure.

She waits in the doorway to the dining room ready to respond to developments with the extinguisher or deadly violence as necessary.
Chrysalis
The kitchen is plunged into darkness and the roast has been extinguished with judicious application of the foam extinguisher.

The blue boy smirks. "A bit extreme. No? It was just a roast. Smelled good, but I guess we'll never know now. How about a magic trick instead? Keep the kids entertained."
pbangarth
Professor calls in from the front room, "Is that smell still in the air? Dr. Karkoff, could you come up front here for a moment, please?"
Chrysalis
Karkoff comes up next to the Professor. "Yes?" her asks.

The punk looks at Cruze as she brnadishes her fie extinguisher "Here's a riddle. How far can a dog run into the woods?"

pbangarth
<<@Toreador: You back in flesh yet? The lady here could use some healing. Best if we do it, rather than a hospital, where questions might be asked.">>

Professor pulls Karkoff off to one side in the room, away from the rest of the family, and speaks softly.

"Dr. Karkoff, I am not sure of the exact nature of this aggressor's skills, but a number of twins died in extreme fire. Though I can detect no magical capability in this one, such detection can be fooled, and I thought it best to remove you from the line of sight of one who moments ago threatened your life.

"It is obvious that we were waiting for such an event to occur. Our ... employer ... is interested in preventing further murders such as those of your twins I named earlier. It would greatly help our effort if we knew who wants you all dead and why. I have read some of your works, and see that you all have similar professional focuses. Do you have any information that could help us keep you, and innocent bystanders,"
Professor nods towards the family, "alive? This would be a good time to be forthcoming."
SincereAgape
Upon returning to from the astral world. Toreador receives an incoming text from the Professor.

<<Text to Belloq: Roger. Toreador enroute to the townhouse.>>

Toreador heads out of the safehouse, hops onto his motorcycle. Starts the engines and then is off.

[Should take him 12 minutes to get to Karkoff's dossier.]
pbangarth
Professor waits for Dr. Karkoff to answer. Karkoff dithers, hums and haws. He clearly wants to answer, but something is holding him back. The silence seems to drag on forever. Professor Assenses him astrally, in hopes of garnering a clue about his reticence to talk. Is it fear? Shame? Conniving self-interest?

[ Spoiler ]
Chrysalis
"I have no direct answer why anyone would want to have us killed, especially in the manner they did."

Blue boy looks at the Professor and giggles. "I know, but I am not telling. Nope, not even hot pokers will make me tell."
There is the sound of tires squealing as the car parked outside accelerates from the street towards the housing rows. It goes past Karkoff house and plows into the house two doors down. This is followed by a massive explosion that forces the windows to burst, lights to switch off and car alarms to go off in a four block radius.

In the confusion blue boy is jumping across the table making a mad tackle for Dr. Karkoff.
pbangarth
[OOC: Presumably an Initiative roll is in order.]

Professor comes out of the surprise quickly!!
[ Spoiler ]

Information is important, but Karkoff's life is more important. Professor fires his ready pistol at the assailant. Both shots.
[ Spoiler ]
Chrysalis
[Everyone roll initiative.]

Blue boy grabs Karkoff and holds him from behind. He holds a steak knife to Karkoff's throat. You can see where the second bullet hit him. He's breathing a bit heavy as the dark stain spreads for a bit before stopping.

"Anybody comes closer and pops gets sliced."

He seems to be having a battle of wills on keeping himself from simply slicing Karkoff's throat.
pbangarth
Professor steels himself and prepares to act at a moment's notice.
[ Spoiler ]
SincereAgape
Toreador's motorcycle pulls into the apartment complex He notices the car that drove through the nearby townhouse. The elf mouths to himself. "Wtf."

Slowly, dismounts his motorcycle and arms himself with his cane, and approaches it. Looking for any possible enemies.

[Initiative]
[ Spoiler ]
crizh
The sudden motion of the car outside was clearly visible to the Ultrasound sensors mounted on the roof and it's uncontrolled plunge towards the row of houses set alarm bells ringing in Cruze's head.

Game on!

The fire extinguisher hung improbably in the air as Cruze stepped past it.

It almost seemed to her to be falling in slow motion as she whipped her arm out and, just as the Blue Boy's muscles started to bunch as a prelude to doing something rash, gently touched the probes of her concealed stun baton into the back of his neck.

[ Spoiler ]
Chrysalis
Cruze gets the stun baton into the neck of Blue boy it touches off sparks and gives him a really unpleasant jolt, he still continued his lunge as he did. He does not look worse for wear.

"Nice hit girl. Of course a second one like that and my friend here is going to get his throat sliced. Of course I could do it anyways." He's looking toward either the front door or then the kitchen with its blown out windows. Sirens can be heard in the distance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012