Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nanotech concerns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Deus is arriving sooner than expected... cyber.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, Deus is a good thing... actually, he'd solve the problem listed in the article. It is a valid point, but I'm not sure if the materials currently being considered that I'm aware of would really spark a reaction...

~J
Siege
Eh. Once nanotech becomes feasible, it'll be another checklist in Humanity's history.

"Did they obliterate themselves with chem/bio weapons? Nope."

"Did they obliterate themselves with nuclear weapons? Nope."

"Well, how about nanoweapons? Um...still working on it."

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Indeed. Really, the only thing to fear is some idiot creating infinitely self-replicating nanites, and that's not exactly easy to do. Certainly having pushed the button sometime during the Cold War would've been easier.

~J
Siege
In theory, nanoweapons could better refine bioweapons to the point some idiot decides to unleash one.

I am reminded of "Hardwired" with custom viruses unleashed to create a market for a company's medicines.

Never mind Kage's excellent point regarding self-replicating nanites. Replicators, anyone? (Stargate SG-1 reference)

-Siege
nezumi
They already have infinitely self replicating (almost) nanites. They're called viruses. What I'd really worry about is a nanomachine that self replicates, is easily dispersed, and uses something truly unusual for food (like plastics or rubbers). Unlike us, tires don't have a natural defense.
Kagetenshi
I was more worrying about nanites that could use anything with the proper molecules in it as food, especially if said molecule was carbon.

~J
Siege
QUOTE (nezumi)
They already have infinitely self replicating (almost) nanites. They're called viruses. What I'd really worry about is a nanomachine that self replicates, is easily dispersed, and uses something truly unusual for food (like plastics or rubbers). Unlike us, tires don't have a natural defense.

Viruses aren't inherently designed to exterminate people (generally speaking).

Now, alter it with humanity's warped imagination to fulfill the express purpose of terminating people or things.

Bloody hell, imagine an augmented version of Ebola.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Imagine the natural version, just altered to have a longer incubation period. The only reason ebola isn't a lot more dangerous is because it kills its victims too quickly to propagate effectively.

~J
JongWK
QUOTE (Siege)
Bloody hell, imagine an augmented version of Ebola.

You've been reading Presidential Orders and Rainbow Six too many times. cool.gif

Sometimes I feel Tom Clancy should be hired as a Shadowrun writer. grinbig.gif
Siege
Well, logical extension of theoretical tech.

As it stands, medieval biowarfare involved flinging corpses into cities to help spread plague.

Mankind loves being able to tweak something to make it better.

I'm not a big Tom Clancy fan. grinbig.gif

-Siege
JongWK
[Derail]
Don't like Clancy? Why? The Ryan series are pretty cool.
(OpCenter, however, I've been told is crap written by someone else with his signature)
[/Derail]
Backgammon
Isn't there a bio-weapon version of Ebola in SOTA:2063?
Kagetenshi
Yes, there is. Very nasty stuff.

~J
Req
The problem with ebola isn't its short incubation time. There have actually been cases where the virus hangs around for a week to two weeks before kicking your ass, which is a quite reasonable incubation time. The problem with ebola is that it doesn't spread through an aerosol vector.

Thing is, that ought to be easy enough to do. Reference the Reston monkey house outbreak talked about (a bit inaccurately) in Richard Preston's The Hot Zone. Ebola with an aerosol vector would be a very, very scary bug.

On the plus side, there's been some great research in vaccination recently...
JongWK
On the plus side, there's been some great research in vaccination recently...

I love when people try to be optimistic.
Req
eh, give it five years. And assuming there's not another major antigen shift... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012