Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Foci help with Drain?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ayeohx
I have the 1st printing of the 4th edition rules. Some of the foci mention that they can help with drain but according to the FAQ all of those sentences were replaced. If I got it right, foci cannot assist with drain. Correct?
Draco18s
They do not. Our GM has overruled the errata because spellcasting foci have always been used that way, but the dice do not count towards both the casting and the drain, the caster chooses one or the other prior to the roll.

If your group doesn't like that, create another foci type just for drain.
Ayeohx
Sweet, thanks Draco. So RAW states that foci do not help resist drain. My group will be sad but I'm sure cheesecake will cheer them up. Thanks again!!!
Draco18s
They'll be sad alright.
Glyph
Note that the errata only nerfs spellcasting foci - summoning and binding foci can still be used to help with Drain. Also, some people (myself included) think that the nerf might not have been intentional, but simply poor wording.
Cain
QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 2 2009, 10:51 PM) *
Note that the errata only nerfs spellcasting foci - summoning and binding foci can still be used to help with Drain. Also, some people (myself included) think that the nerf might not have been intentional, but simply poor wording.

Much as I hate disagreeing with you, Glyph, the new errata clearly nerfs other kinds of foci as well.
Draco18s
Yep. All of them lost their "or reserved to help with drain" text.

Shotguns also got the new flechette damage codes. +2DV/+5AP, +0DV/+7AP, -2DV/+9AP for narrow, medium, and wide spread.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 3 2009, 12:07 AM) *
They do not. Our GM has overruled the errata because spellcasting foci have always been used that way, but the dice do not count towards both the casting and the drain, the caster chooses one or the other prior to the roll.

I'll definately go with this.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Mar 3 2009, 10:31 AM) *
I'll definately go with this.

It works pretty well, and I think was RAI (pre errata), but was worded poorly so they removed it.
It's saved our mage's life at least once ("overcast into physical, then you won't knock yourself out" was said, I think three times, before the session was over, any one of those spells not cast would have likely meant TPK; ended with only 4 boxes uncrossed between both tracks).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012