Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "I turn off my cyberears"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marduc
Last friday, I had a very interesting session.
One of my PC's wandered out in Seattle, Redmond Barrers, when the other team members were busy with stuf, not related to the run.

Me: So, were are you going?
Player: Just walking around, do I see something I recognise?
Me: Are you going anywhere special?
Player: No, not really.
Me: [Describe hooker encounter]
Player: Walks one, no interest.
Me: A man grabs your shoulder, and tries to sell you a watch, for 10 nuyen.gif .
Player: I push the man away.
Me: the man falls on the ground, and starts cursing you for all he's worth
Player: I turn off my cyberears, so I don't hear him anymore.
`Mind you this PC has totaly tricked out cyberears, including soundfilters`
Me: Make an audio perception roll at -6 (he's deaf atm)
Player: Looks at me unbelieving. makes the roll and fails the treshold. (PC has a dice pool of 13 for perception)
Me: As you are walking down the street, deaf for all purposes, you feel a claw strike you on your back (I make an attack roll, and tell the player to roll for damage resistance)
Me: Next your are hit on your shoulder by a claw. (I make an attack roll, and tell the player to roll for damage resistance)
You are attacked by two ghouls and no the others can't make it in time.

Player (after a few hits): I take a flashpack ( he is in melee) and throw it to the ghouls, close my eyes and runaway.

I was very lenient that session.
TBRMInsanity
I say you handled it appropriately.
Marduc
And all I wanted to do was give them an impression of Seattle by night.
I saved the beasties for another time
Draco18s
A past group of mine had a cybersam who got punked by two gangers on the way to the pre-run meet. He decided for a detour through the Barrens (it was shorter).

The gangers pulled shotguns.

Cybersam pulled a monofilament sword and charged them (he was on a motorcycle).

In the end I think he took something like 8 or 9 boxes of damage (of 10 or 11). And the mission hadn't even started yet.
jzn
How did the ghoul sneak up on that poor guy so quickly? Was it just wandering the sidewalks, sneaking up on people from behind? Had it already killed the hooker and watch-selling guy?
InfinityzeN
QUOTE (jzn @ Mar 4 2009, 11:07 AM) *
How did the ghoul sneak up on that poor guy so quickly? Was it just wandering the sidewalks, sneaking up on people from behind? Had it already killed the hooker and watch-selling guy?

Humans might be visual creatures, but our hearing provides a lot of warning about dangers around us. If nothing else, it taught the player not to do something stupid like turn off his hearing completely, when he could have just 'select sound filtered' the guy out.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Marduc @ Mar 3 2009, 04:22 PM) *
Player (after a few hits): I take a flashpack ( he is in melee) and throw it to the ghouls, close my eyes and runaway.

Whoops, where did that truck come from? biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
A flashpack used against blind enemies? Ghost be praised that he escaped!
InfinityzeN
Yea, I find that pretty funny too.
Kev
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Mar 4 2009, 12:47 PM) *
A flashpack used against blind enemies? Ghost be praised that he escaped!

I was just about to mention that. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Mar 4 2009, 06:42 PM) *
Whoops, where did that truck come from? biggrin.gif

happened way to many times with people using a dap cranked to 11 and crossing a street...

i suspect its no longer appliable for darwin awards...
Stahlseele
Can happen to you nowadays even with very acute hearing . . ever heard the motor sound of one of those bentley monsters?
that's right, they don't have any x.x . .
2 tons, 400 HP and it's not even as loud as a bicycle . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012