Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacktastic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gargaMONK
I had an idea, and I was wondering if anyone had experience in this sort of thing.

Raz0r has been watching too many crime trids, and is paranoid about going to the meet in his only meat-body. He hacks his way over and is using the team's ear bud's or somesuch to get the skinny on the run.

But now it's time for the face to negotiate for more nuyen, and Raz0r wants to show the Johnson that he knows his stuff, and is worth the premium.

Punks straddle the fence, so Raz0r has to dazzle the Johnson without pissing him off. Suggestions?
MatrixJargon
A quick spoof job. Grab your Johnson an extra 5K cred for his lunch from whatever local source you can grab it from. Do it fast enough with no prompt and it'll be pretty impressive, especially if he doesn't know a whole lot about hacking.
Jay
I am a little green on the hacking rules, however, if it is relatively easy to shift 5k around like that, why waste the time negotiating for the *chance* to get more money when you can invest that time to acquiring it through computer skills? (This is not a rhetorical question, other than flavor, is it more difficult to acquire money from a quick matrix job thatn some negotiation tests?)

What about hacking a nearby video screen/display? There should *something* close that can pick up audio so you can hear what he says (worse case scendario maybe use a drone?). This way you can do some fancy non-standard teleconferencing. It might not be that impressive though.

Subtlety might also be good. I remember I was always impressed with <Strikes Again!/HA! HA! HA!> as the time/date stamp for Smiling Bandit from all the 3rd edition stuff. Doing something somewhat neutral that Mr. J obviously can't do, and that other hackers might not think of doing might give you more room to impress.

If I come up with anything more helpfull, I will post it later! smile.gif
hobgoblin
there is some fluff from a meet, in one of the sourcebooks, where the resident hacker exposes the johnson on the spot, and then as a favor covers up the evidence just exposed.
Ayeohx
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 9 2009, 02:24 PM) *
there is some fluff from a meet, in one of the sourcebooks, where the resident hacker exposes the johnson on the spot, and then as a favor covers up the evidence just exposed.

Awesome, but sounds like a good way to get shot in the face. You know how those Johnsons are about their identities...

Is VR still incredibly quick? If so, how about take any info the Johnson tells you such as leads, people, etc and do some speedy research? If you find anything tasty that won't piss the Johnson off hit him with it. Employers IRL are sometimes impressed with in-depth feedback to questions during job interviews.
hobgoblin
heh, i thought doing on the spot searches was hacker routine wink.gif

oh, and the meet in question is quite likely a good example of this wink.gif
gargaMONK
Yeah, I think on-the-spot searching the johnson is a good idea, but in more a "you don't know i know this but i do" kind of way.

I like the idea of giving him cash, but if that's too grand a scale maybe like sniffing his comm for his drink history and putting an order for one in on someone in the bar's tab.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012