Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 Cybersurgery
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maelwys
So I was wondering about this. M&M doesn't seem to help a whole lot, but maybe I'm missing something.

What are the rolls, how hard is it, what do I have to do to install something into a cyberlimb?

Is it really a medical procedure? Is it a medical procedure only if it requires a DNI connection?

If its not DNI, should it just be as simple as plug and play?
Telion
I wouldn't say it'd be plug and play, but its not full blown cybersurgery either. I'd say without looking into the book, that you'd need a minor procedure to do it.

There's lots of assumptions you can make but i'd say to use capacity you'd have to open it and then place it back in. I'd say it'd require at least a cybertech roll depending on the implant type. You'll also need the proper tools. A street doc should be able to handle it. As for DNI, I doubt it'd make a difference unless you have something you want DNI and the leg isn't wired for it already.

I'll check over the rules tomorrow if someone else hasn't provided a better answer.
Dikotana
By RAW there's no reason not to treat it as standard cybersurgery. By reasonable standards it should be much easier. Biotech (Cybertechnology implantation) or Electronics (Cybertechnology) are both reasonable skills to apply. You could consider it an "upgrade cyberware" procedure (M&M 147), but maybe with some of the conditions on the table on 146 not applying, such as needing a profile or data or possibly any of the patient condition modifiers. Because it's less invasive, the procedure might have a TN of 3 or even 2 instead of the standard 4, or the procedure might begin with 1-2 automatic successes to reduce the chance of negative options.

The surgery rules are really excessively complex. My group has almost entirely ignored them and played it by ear. Major surgery? Okay, you need a better clinic, take a few boxes of damage, and pay more. Want a spur? Any shadow doc can stick one in your arm without any additional price beyond the cyberware itself.
Ryu
My SR3 rules memory is fuzzy by now, but I would be looking at an Electronics B/R test with a target number of 4 (standard task).
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (Dikotana @ Mar 10 2009, 01:48 AM) *
By RAW there's no reason not to treat it as standard cybersurgery. By reasonable standards it should be much easier. Biotech (Cybertechnology implantation) or Electronics (Cybertechnology) are both reasonable skills to apply. You could consider it an "upgrade cyberware" procedure (M&M 147), but maybe with some of the conditions on the table on 146 not applying, such as needing a profile or data or possibly any of the patient condition modifiers. Because it's less invasive, the procedure might have a TN of 3 or even 2 instead of the standard 4, or the procedure might begin with 1-2 automatic successes to reduce the chance of negative options.

The surgery rules are really excessively complex. My group has almost entirely ignored them and played it by ear. Major surgery? Okay, you need a better clinic, take a few boxes of damage, and pay more. Want a spur? Any shadow doc can stick one in your arm without any additional price beyond the cyberware itself.

I'm with this. Unless the players really want to, getting into the surgery rules is just a pointless dice-rolling exercise. Also, unless your players are actually the surgeons, the NPC performing the surgery is going to be making the rolls using his skill. Not exactly the best use of gaming time, in my opinion.
Telion
I'll second the dice rolls being pointless. Unless you have some wacked out doc, or some unique character doing this, its usually good to just glaze over, set a price and move on.
Maelwys
Quite possibly. I was just wondering how much of a medical condition it really was. It seemed to be almost more of something that an electrician could do, though cybernetics seems to be heavily tied to medicine.

the only part that would really seem to require a doctor was if the item was connected via DNI. Since that requires essence, that would require a doc, but I think that its pretty safe to say, if it doesn't require essence, it should be almost as simple as plug and play.

Glad most people seem to agree for the most part. smile.gif
Link
Yeah; for assessing which cyber-limb accessories require surgery I'd base it off the essence cost (including a DNI link as discussed) from the ECU table.
M&M p35
[ Spoiler ]

Relevant skills for installation.
M&M p135
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012