Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anniversary Edition Abbreviation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zen Shooter01
As one of the first to refer to the new product with the shorthand SR4A, I want to clarify that idea.

My purpose was to create an abbreviation to indicate the new product (with the elf in front of the cityscape on the cover) that would easily distinguish it from the book usually designated SR4 (the one with the troll, human, and dwarf in the alley on the cover). This is necessary because the two books contain a lot of the same information, may both serve as the "basic book", but nevertheless differ on some significant points, and at the very least have different page numbers. (For example, Ranged Attack Modifiers in SR4 appear on pg. 140. In SR4A, they appear on pg. 150.)

I recommend "SR4A" over "SR4.5" because the words "Shadowrun" and "Anniversary" actually appear on the cover of this book, and because I've seen Catalyst personnel use the "SR4A" abbreviation. The abbreviation "SR4.5" will tend to send people looking for a book with the number "4.5" on the cover, and no such book exists.

The debate as to whether the new tweaks and errata that debuted in SR4A constitute edition 4.5 or not is irrelevant to the practical issue of making clear what book you're talking about.

I think "SR4A" should be adopted as the accepted abbreviation on Dumpshock.

BlueMax
I believe the Canon is SR4A. Count me in.
Would anyone mind if I also called it, "What was left of my tax return after property taxes?"

knasser
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 14 2009, 07:46 PM) *
I believe the Canon is SR4A. Count me in.
Would anyone mind if I also called it, "What was left of my tax return after property taxes?"

Shadowrun WWLOMTRAPT Edition gets my vote. grinbig.gif
Adam
SR4A is what we've been calling it for months, and what we'll be using to refer to it in our other books. smile.gif
MJBurrage
I have also seen a variety of abbreviated names for Shadowrun Fourth Edition: 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook.
  • SR4A – Based simply and logically on the PDF's SKU of 2600A
  • SR4.5 – Mostly by those mad at the changes, possibly to draw attention to what they see as major changes.
  • SR20 – Implying that it's a 20th Edition, while based in part on the books full title, seems illogical to skip SR5 etc.
I humbly suggest SR4.20 – it includes both a 4 for the fundamental rules edition, and a 20 for the 20th Anniversary. Also .2 seems to me to better describe the actual level of change, as this is not even close to halfway to an whole new edition.

Now I just need to find some deepweed. smile.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 14 2009, 01:36 PM) *
SR4A is what we've been calling it for months, and what we'll be using to refer to it in our other books. smile.gif

You know you want to call it WWLOMTRAPT

I can understand not wanting to step up and get in trouble at work though... rotfl.gif

Naysayer
Well, if the people who made the think call it SR4A, I guess that's its name, and there's no point to call it, say 4.5 unless you are some very diehard proponent of the idea that everything CGL has done so far has somehow personally wrongend you and therefore make it a point to forego as many of the terms and designations introduced by them.
I am not thinking of anyone in particular.

Actually, personally, I think that, as SR4A is intended to supercede all older printings of SR4, you might as well simply call it SR4, especially since, once the errata contained within that shiny, desirable oh-come-here-gorgeous-book drops, SR4A and SR4 will officially be the same thing.
I also think that I should not ramble so much, but all the flamewars make me giddy and eager to post, but common sense prohibits me from partaking in the saucier threads.
Also, beer.

Some more thoughts:
SR20 sounds like it's the d20 conversion hotly anticipated by oncologists worldwide.
SR4/20 or 4.20 do somewhat the same, but will probably attract more stoners to the game.

Until the whole errata thing is through, I guess SR WWLOMTRAPT is the way to go.
Be the first to get the Shadowrun Wombat Trap Limited Edition at your FLGS!
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 14 2009, 03:51 PM) *
Shadowrun WWLOMTRAPT Edition gets my vote. grinbig.gif

rotfl.gif

Well, you'd have to take it up with all the writers who will have to reference it in all the future books. "See p. 123, WWLOMTRAPT " is a lot harder to write than "See p. 123, SR4A." wink.gif

knasser
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 14 2009, 10:27 PM) *
rotfl.gif

Well, you'd have to take it up with all the writers who will have to reference it in all the future books. "See p. 123, WWLOMTRAPT " is a lot harder to write than "See p. 123, SR4A." wink.gif

I have every faith in their dedication and unwillingness to compromise.

K.
Aaron
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 14 2009, 05:27 PM) *
rotfl.gif

I might do that just to mess with Adam.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Aaron @ Mar 14 2009, 07:17 PM) *
I might do that just to mess with Adam.

Aaron, you would! grinbig.gif
Cain
I'll stick with SR4.5, thank you. I believe I was the first person to coin the phrase, here.

Even if all the changes were good and necessary, they're dramatic as all hell. Some fundamental things have been shifted, and the game isn't exactly the same anymore. These aren't some "tweaks and errata", they're rule changes, and drastic ones at that.

Characters can be reworked between 4.0 and 4.5, but they're no longer backward-compatible. Let's say I create a character using karmagen. I bring him to one table, he's fine. I bring him to a table running 4.5, and suddenly I've got a several hundred karma deficit to make up for. The fact that characters are no longer compatible almost means new edition, but the changes aren't *quite* that drastic. So, SR4.5 is the most logical way of explaining it.

When I explain the rule changes to other RPGers, they're not going to get it if I say "Anniversary Edition". They're going to think it's just a cleaned-up copy of SR4. When I say: "SR4.5 rulebook", they'll immediately understand what I mean.
Draco18s
Pretty much conforms to my feeling about it. Though I'll use the terms interchangeably.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 14 2009, 11:47 PM) *
Aaron, you would! grinbig.gif

To be fair, I would, too smile.gif
Medicineman
I will refer to it as SR4A or 4A in the German forums
SR4.20 is no Good Idea,cause it can be mixed up with the SR4D20 which exists as a fan based Piece

with a mixed up Dance
Medicineman
TBRMInsanity
I like BBB2 (Big Bad Book version 2).
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Mar 17 2009, 09:08 AM) *
I will refer to it as SR4A or 4A in the German forums
SR4.20 is no Good Idea,cause it can be mixed up with the SR4D20 which exists as a fan based Piece

with a mixed up Dance
Medicineman

Calling SR4A (the official name for all intents and purposes) SR4.20 was meant to be a joke. Is the 420 reference unknown outside of America?
GreyBrother
In Austria, it is. Dare to explain? My search-fu fails me today (this hints at a major character error we will explore in future posts of me only to conclude it in a dramatic showdown between me and my evil twin sister i thought dead at birth)
BlueMax
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Mar 17 2009, 07:46 AM) *
In Austria, it is. Dare to explain? My search-fu fails me today (this hints at a major character error we will explore in future posts of me only to conclude it in a dramatic showdown between me and my evil twin sister i thought dead at birth)

Wikipedia to the rescue!
GreyBrother
Schlag mir ins Gesicht und nenn mich Brigitte! I'm routine-blinded. My thanks, good gentleman. May your descendants frolic in your genes.
Medicineman
No,I didn't catch the meaning
Maybe I'm too innocent ?

with an innocent dance
Medicineman
Cain
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Mar 17 2009, 06:40 AM) *
I like BBB2 (Big Bad Book version 2).

You may as well be referring to it as SR4.5, then. The term "BBB" is virtually unknown outside of Shadowrun fan circles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012