Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard House Rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheForgotten
You know, if we really don't like the changes in SR4A, if we put together some kind of standardized set of house rules as an alternative, there's a good chance it would become the "standard alternative". So lets compile a bunch of suggestions, and I'll take them and write them up and do some kind of pdf once things are settled a bit.

So house rules I've seen that sound good:

Overcasting: Overcasting causes Force + modifier physical drain (not F/2 + mod drain) or Spirits Hits * 4 physical drain for conjuring tests.

Direct Combat Skills: Ignore the extra drain in SR4A.

Physical Illusions: Must score successes greater then the sensor rating of the equipment to be fooled (not the Object Resistance of the object, a simple device made out to steal is not harder to fool then complex electronics).

Upgrading Equipment: Equipment comes in two types module and non modular. Non modular equipment is not met to be upgraded and is subject to the +2 limit. Modular equipment is made to be upgraded but (I am so completely lost when it comes to matrix rules that I'm not sure how to say, you will need to replace hardware). Comlinks with system of 3+ and drones with availability of 8+ are considered to be modular.

Skill groups cost New Rank * 2 to improve.
Stats cost New Rank * 4 to Improve
Stats over Max for their metatype cost New Rank * 5 to improve.

When improving a stat either add or subract the amount over normal minimum/maximum of the meta type (for example a metatype with 2/7 willpower going from 2 Willpower to 3 Willpower would be treated as going from a state score of 1 to a score of 2, a metatype with 1/5 willpower going from a stat score of 1 to a score of 2 would be treated as going from a score of 2 to a score of 3.
HappyDaze
Good luck with getting a "standardized set of houserules" together. It's hard enough to get five people at a table to agree on a set, but all of the headstrong individualists on Dumpshock...

Again, good luck.
Draco18s
QUOTE (TheForgotten @ Mar 14 2009, 04:23 PM) *
Skill groups cost New Rank * 2 to improve.
Stats cost New Rank * 4 to Improve
Stats over Max for their metatype cost New Rank * 5 to improve.

Where does magic fall in this? Normal stat or "over max" when going for that 7th point?
I'd almost be willing to proposition:

Magic * 4 - Initiation Rank * N
Where N is either 4 or 2. N = 4 makes the 7th point of magic cost 24 Karma (instead of 28) with 1 initiation, compaired to SR4's 21 Karma: an increase, but not large. Additional benefit for initiating. However, that means that a magic 6 with 6 initiations is paying "0 karma" so you'd have to make some minimum value. Thus I'd argue in favor of N = 2, you get a slight karma rebate for initiating: initiates are more easily able to train their magic to more powerful levels (7th point with 1 initiation costs 26 Karma, a full 9 points less than it would in SR4A).
TheForgotten
Magic never goes over max. The cost of initiation covers the karma cost of going over max.

Actually on second though pick one of Magic, Resonance or Edge. You get to raise this at Stat * 3 Karma cost (*4 if you take edge over, Magic and Resonance can not go over).
wind_in_the_stones
How about using half the extra successes to raise drain on direct combat spells?
TheForgotten
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Mar 14 2009, 10:30 PM) *
How about using half the extra successes to raise drain on direct combat spells?

I'm thinking the better idea might be to give a Willpower + Astral Armor based resistance roll for direct spells. You still get to bypass mundane armor and don't have to deal with Troll/Orc/Cyberred Body attributes.

Malicant
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones @ Mar 14 2009, 10:30 PM) *
That is something I'd prefer, since it's in line with force increase, if you get what I mean.
Cardul
They already implemented all but one of my Standard House Rules in SR4A

Only rule I would implement is the same one I have always used: Cyber/Bio/Gene/Nano- Ware drops your Maximum Magic, and only drops your current magic if it drops below your maximum magic. So, if at Chargen, you buy 2 points worth of ware, and your maximum magic is at 4, well, you have to pay 25 BP for that that 4th point, total of 45 BP, instead of 65 to raise it to 6, then lower it down to 4. If you Had only gotten 1 point of ware, and your magic was at 4, you do not have to pay to raise it to 5 and watch it drop. And you can still get 1 point more Ware after chargen before your magic drops..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012