Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyber eyes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Can cyber eyes change their iris color? Can't seem to find it any where. Just want to know if it's in cannon anywhere. I've already ruled they can. I mean, jeez, look at all the other stuff they can do. Change color. Childs play.

Thanos
Fortune
I would say that it would be an additional, non-standard feature, with minimal Essence impact.
Teulisch
Should be fairly easy to get your cyberdoc to add some Ruthenium polymer to the cybereye as a cosmetic modification. should be failry cheap, due to the very small area in question, a few square cenimenters.
Diesel
If you didn't want them electronically generated, I'd allow X (maybe 4?) lenses installed.

In my games we use electronic displays for the iris, with a broad range of natural eyes installed and a few "off-the-wall" styles. Anything else you need to download.

Solidcobra
bah, changing colour on the cybereyes should be easy, no matter what....
it could take about 30 seconds to change from colour A to colour B when you are at home, just like you can fool around with lenses, only no chance to stab yourself to maximum pain
now, it would take about 3 seconds to chance colour with ruthenium in the field.... something that would be foolishly simple and cheap, no essence cost....
Crusher Bob
If cyber-eyes are that widespread I imagine there would be 'downloadable eyetones' or something, so that the stylish can keep up.
Diesel
Yeah, there's a fileserver for that and that alone in my world. My guy had little skulls and crossbones until he considered how universally tacky that is.
DV8
Hmmm, that raises a question; how well do retinal scanners respond to cybereyes? What if they're of the old-fashioned, plug-like lenses persuasion? Or what if they are of the fashionable metallic gold persuasion? smile.gif
Matrix Monkey
QUOTE (DV8)
Hmmm, that raises a question; how well do retinal scanners respond to cybereyes? What if they're of the old-fashioned, plug-like lenses persuasion? Or what if they are of the fashionable metallic gold persuasion? smile.gif

...which is why in our games, we rule that each set of cybereyes has a globally unique (kept in SIN databases etc.) retinal pattern as well as user-selectable alternates.
When you need to have a retinal scan done, you switch to your 'natural' pattern and switch back when done.
Cray74
Not having my books handy...how much essence and nuyen.gif do eye cosmetic modifications cost?
DV8
No essence, ¥ 1000
Cray74
QUOTE (DV8 @ Jan 12 2004, 02:03 PM)
No essence, ¥ 1000

Ah, thank you.

I'd recommend color changing eyes to be treated as cosmetic alterations. 1000 nuyen.gif is plenty for such a simple feature, definitely a big profit margin item. If you wanted to display actual images or specific patterns, I might recommend doubling or tripling the price.
DV8
You're comparing apples with oranges, I think, Cray. The cosmetic surgery as described in SR3 is just that; cosmetic surgery. And I don't think that should have the same ¥-value as a modification to either the retina or the full cybernetic replacement eye that can do the same.
Xirces
QUOTE (Matrix Monkey)
QUOTE (DV8 @ Jan 12 2004, 12:46 PM)

...which is why in our games, we rule that each set of cybereyes has a globally unique (kept in SIN databases etc.) retinal pattern as well as user-selectable alternates.
When you need to have a retinal scan done, you switch to your 'natural' pattern and switch back when done.

Hmm. I'm sure I asked this a few months ago. My ruling would be that each cybereye has to have a manufacturer/model/serial code (eg - ZEISS/577a/X57943a) which is read in place of the iris and can be linked back to a particular user.

Of course, there's nothing to stop any good cyberdoc from removing, or even changing, the serial number, but doing so would require surgery (the eye needs physically removing).

The point about having the retinal duplication mod is to avoid this - the eye appears to be normal (to a scanner, at least).

There's not only eyes to consider - think about cyberarms/hands, or even worse, a donor arm - how does one reliably take id in the 2060s?

My thoughts about a method would be utilising a datajack - presumably a user can transmit something (a personal secret) to a closed system via datajack which is more secure than any external identifier. Thoughts/ comments?
Kagetenshi
All you have to do is get someone to transmit to a system that is insecure, and boom, you're identified. DNA is probably most common, as only the more advanced and expensive alterations change DNA; donor DNA should be tagged as having been donated so as to prevent the problem with a donor arm coming back as someone other than who the person in question is.

~J
CoalHeart
Unless there is no record of that ork fragger you sliced and diced in the back room of your personal chopshop to replace your buddy's left hand that he lost when playing hot potato with grenades.
Kagetenshi
Then they know you've been doing some funny things and take you into custody.

~J
Cray74
Addressed in slightly reversed order...

QUOTE (DV8)
And I don't think that should have the same ¥-value as a modification to either the retina or the full cybernetic replacement eye that can do the same.

The original question was about cybereyes, so I didn't address retinal modifications.

You're comparing apples with oranges, I think, Cray. The cosmetic surgery as described in SR3 is just that; cosmetic surgery.

I know. I'm not proposing that "color changing cybereyes" get actually labeled "cosmetic eye surgery." However, the pricing (1K) and essence loss (0) of cosmetic surgery also seem appropriate for a simple cosmetic effect in cyber eyes.
LoseAsDirected
Cybereye feature
Color changing
Base price 500 nuyen. Includes one free pattern. Additional patterns cost 50 nuyen each. No essence lost. Availability as per cybereye. No adjustments for grade.
Grey
I like the idea of a Rutheniumed eye. You could make them look like whatever you want, even scroll text. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012