Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defense against Area Effect Weapons - Primary and Secondary Targets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dakka Dakka
While it is possible to run out of the blast radius of timed grenades, this is impossible for impact or airburst grenades and area effect indirect combat spells.

According to the BBB and the FAQ a primary target should be selected which can attempt to dodge. What happens if the primary target scores more hits than the attacker? Does he come out unscathed?

What happens to any targets that are only caught in the blast radius? May they dodge as well, or can they only soak? Do they have to dodge or soak if the attacker misses the primary target (i.e. target scores more hits)?

Do secondary targets also suffer from extra damage, if the attacker scored net hits?

Do secondary targets of indirect combat spells get extra armor from walls that are inbetween them and the primary target? Or worded differently, does the damaging effect spread out from a central point or is the spherical area instantly flooded with the effect?
Coldan
Net Hits at grenades don't get extra DV anymore. One of the changes at the SR4A Rule Book.

But I can't give any answer for the other questions.
Zaranthan
I let secondary targets Dodge as normal. Each hit adds 1 meter to the blast radius DV calculation.
Dakka Dakka
AFAIK this is a houserule. I'm more interested in an official ruling.
Zaranthan
That's what I figured, but about half of the responses following an official ruling like this go something like "that kinda stinks, I think I'll keep running houserule X." Topics like these are good places to discuss opinions on what would be balanced, plus I think some of the "official" rulings are made based upon the previous discussion.

On a less relevant note, your username needs more dakka. I'll send my favorite Mekboy your way.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 18 2009, 06:38 AM) *
While it is possible to run out of the blast radius of timed grenades, this is impossible for impact or airburst grenades and area effect indirect combat spells.

Tangental thought:
Why run away from the grenade? Pick it up and huck it back!
Coldan
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 18 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Tangental thought:

And please don't pass the test, I will grin as gm when this happens.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 18 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Tangental thought:

True, but doing this does not help with my question. Also this isn't possible with a fireball or an airburst grenade.

@Zaranthan: biggrin.gif I wondered when someone would mention that.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Coldan @ Mar 18 2009, 11:50 AM) *
And please don't pass the test, I will grin as gm when this happens.

My group already played Grenade Racketball (PCs won, and IIRC most of the grenades were ours). One NPC grunt body-blocked one 'nade ("To save the Boss!") another 'nade got glue-gunned to a ceiling-wall-wall corner, and the other got normal effect on the NPCs. They weren't terribly damaging grenades, the one the guy dove on was a flash bang.
Kev
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 18 2009, 01:12 PM) *
They weren't terribly damaging grenades, the one the guy dove on was a flash bang.

Magensium and white-phophor explosions actually hurt like a bitch.

As for your questions, Dakka Dakka, as-of current SR4 (non-A, I don't have the PDF) this isn't resolved by the BBB. It's not even addressed, as far as I remember seeing. Houseruling seems the only way to go.
Dakka Dakka
That's why i hoped for a word from the devs.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kev @ Mar 18 2009, 02:07 PM) *
Magensium and white-phophor explosions actually hurt like a bitch.

Oh, that guy was dead, no question. I think we did Chunky Salsa on him (the explosion being contained between his corpse and the floor) or just fudged it as well as reduced the effect on everyone else in the room.

What I'd meant was, we hadn't been tossing around three HE explosives.
Tyro
My favorite ridiculous high-damage build is a six-armed ork adept with Heavy Weapons and Improved Combat Skill (HW) maxxed firing 6 full-auto grenade launchers loaded with HE ^_^
Shinobi Killfist
yeah this is one of those answers that is a long time coming. I have no idea on how its supposed to be run. A direct reading of the rules seems to say everyone outside the "target" just soaks. But that seems like such a world of stupid I am having trouble thinking that is the intended rule. Hey you know that guy you are actually trying to his as long as you pick the slow fat guy you can totally nail that ninja really good. I target the trashcan, now I can totally nail MR. high reflexes. I mean all this time i was trying to hit him was a total waste. I should of targeted an immobile object instead, or a pedestrian that helps when shooting ninjas.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Mar 18 2009, 10:11 PM) *
yeah this is one of those answers that is a long time coming. I have no idea on how its supposed to be run. A direct reading of the rules seems to say everyone outside the "target" just soaks. But that seems like such a world of stupid I am having trouble thinking that is the intended rule. Hey you know that guy you are actually trying to his as long as you pick the slow fat guy you can totally nail that ninja really good. I target the trashcan, now I can totally nail MR. high reflexes. I mean all this time i was trying to hit him was a total waste. I should of targeted an immobile object instead, or a pedestrian that helps when shooting ninjas.

There are some powers in the Other 4th Edition that are like that. Guaranteed damage to a secondary target.
Werewindlefr
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 19 2009, 02:47 AM) *
There are some powers in the Other 4th Edition that are like that. Guaranteed damage to a secondary target.

Such as?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012