Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacker vs. Rigger Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ICPiK
Could someone help me out here?

New to hacking and a little confused. What would be the fastest most efficient way to take over a riggers comlink & lock him out of it & be able to command his drones. A step by step example would be much appreciated. Is it as simple as hacking in getting his id and changing it to mine then encrypting. HELP!
DireRadiant
Spoof the Drone
- Find and Decrypt the signal between Rigger and Drone and insert your own command. This will temporarily allow for a short control of the drone. The drone thinks it got orders from the Rigger and will follow this order till the next time the Rigger tells it to do something. In this scenario you didn't lock out the Rigger.

Hack the Drone
- Find the Drone Node (EW + Scan), Hack it, Exploit + Hacking, Subscribe it to you instead of the Rigger, Command or Rig it yourself.

Hack the Rigger Commlink
- Find the Rigger Node, Hack it, Cybercombat the Rigger Persona, Subscribe it, then either Command, Hack or Spoof the Drone.
TBRMInsanity
Expect a Rigger to have a good Commlink and high encryption, EW, and firewall programs running. They they don't they they deserve their network to be hacked.
ICPiK
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 18 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Spoof the Drone
- Find and Decrypt the signal between Rigger and Drone and insert your own command. This will temporarily allow for a short control of the drone. The drone thinks it got orders from the Rigger and will follow this order till the next time the Rigger tells it to do something. In this scenario you didn't lock out the Rigger.

Hack the Drone
- Find the Drone Node (EW + Scan), Hack it, Exploit + Hacking, Subscribe it to you instead of the Rigger, Command or Rig it yourself.

Hack the Rigger Commlink
- Find the Rigger Node, Hack it, Cybercombat the Rigger Persona, Subscribe it, then either Command, Hack or Spoof the Drone.

In the scenario I'm dealing with the rigger has 4 roto drones and is only active in 1 the others are following parameters. Is it possible to hack his comlink, then take it over somehow to where he cant access it but i can. Once i hack in what are the best steps to take... and mind you this is a tight time line gotta get em under control before they hose my buds that are pretty pinned down as it is. Do I slave it to my comlink and encrypt it to keep him from just getting it back or what. ty for the input guys.
Coldan
Well, he can still controll his commlink manually. Just change his account rights, but this will need admin access to do it safely. Otherwise you will have to hack the commands in the node. If you want to shut down the drones, just hack the drone, delete the targeting software and alter the account password of the rigger. Ok, you will have to do this for one drone after another, but at last he has to hack his own drones, while you have them under controll.
ICPiK
But cant i hack his com and turn off manual controls and encrypt it. Taking over his com and cutting him completely out then issue his drones command thru his com?
bluedragon7
you could do that with a admin account logging him off and deleting his account,..but getting a admin account the quick and dirty way is most likely to be detected and he can defend against this.

it might work better by hacking one (better two) of his drones to shot at the drone he is in, he might get dumpshocked
ICPiK
That' s true that would give me an advantage with him being modified from damage. I think if i could do it the longer way it would help turn the tide tho.
gtjormungand
These steps assume that the situation is that Hank the Hacker is being chased by Ronald the Rigger's drones. Since Hank is running away, he probably doesn't have the option of going into VR and must instead use AR. Ronald's sitting back and relaxing somewhere else, like in a rigger cocoon in a secure, but close place. More options are presented farther below.

Step 1. Hank the Hacker must detect the wireless signal of Ronald the Rigger's presumed hidden node (commlink) with an Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) extended test. This should take 1 Combat Turn, since detecting a particular node that's not hidden takes that long. That'll be 3 passes of the drones firing at Hank. Detecting Wireless Nodes, SR4 pg. 225. If Hank wants to Spoof, continue to Step 2. Otherwise, Hank'll want to hack directly into Ronald's network and engage him in Matrix Combat, to be discussed elsewhere.

Step 2. Hank will need to decrypt Ronald's encryption (presuming a rating of 5). This is a Decrypt + Response (Encryption(5) Rating x2 = 10, Combat Turn) extended test. Again, more full sets of initiative passes of getting shot at. Encryption and Decryption, SR4 pg. 225. This could be done by an agent in parallel to other tasks (but it will take a Simple Action to Command the agent to do so).

Aside: To Spoof, Hank requires Ronald's Access ID (Spoof Command, SR4 pg. 224), which would require a Matrix Perception check when they are on the same node. In the short term, Hank could instead Intercept the Wireless Signals (pg 225) as a Complex action and Edit (Edit, SR4 219) a drone's output for one combat turn as a second Complex action, but this can only last for a turn, so maybe Hank could get away while one of the drones shoots at another one "by mistake".

Step 3. To get the Access ID, Hank must enter Ronald's network. This won't require any more than normal user permissions, which means a Complex Action and an extended Hacking + Exploit (Firewall (assuming 5), 1 Initiative Pass) extended test. Every time this is done, Ronald's commlink gets a free Analyze + Firewall (Hank's Stealth program (assuming 5 again)) extended test to detect Hank's hacking attempt. If detected, there is an alert triggered and the firewall gets stronger against Hank's actions. However, all Hank cares about is getting the Access ID, so he takes his next Simple action to Observe in Detail and makes a Matrix Perception test of Computer + Analyze as an opposed test against Ronald's Hacking + Stealth. Or Hank could just start Matrix combat attacks at this point. If he isn't full of bullets. And Ronald may be running Black IC on his network that would normally prevent Hank from logging off, but Hank's on AR and okay on that front.

Step 4. If Hank's survived this long and actually acquired Ronald's Access ID, he can then send a Spoof command to one of the drones to have it shoot another drone or something. If the drones can't take Hank out in this time period, they may have trouble shooting each other, but it's worth a shot.

Only Slightly Better Option: If Hank has a jammer, he could hope to run far enough away such that Ronald would be out of Signal range and activate the Jammer. That is unless Ronald has ECCM software running on his drones. However, the software is still limited by the drone it's being run on. If the drone only has a Pilot of 3, then the ECCM software is limited to 3 (unless it's optimized).

Mostly, this is not a situation that Hank the Hacker would want to be in.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (ICPiK @ Mar 18 2009, 07:50 PM) *
In the scenario I'm dealing with the rigger has 4 roto drones and is only active in 1 the others are following parameters. Is it possible to hack his comlink, then take it over somehow to where he cant access it but i can. Once i hack in what are the best steps to take... and mind you this is a tight time line gotta get em under control before they hose my buds that are pretty pinned down as it is. Do I slave it to my comlink and encrypt it to keep him from just getting it back or what. ty for the input guys.

Your fastest option is active jamming, this will be immediate and cut the rigger off from being Jumped In, and then assuming the drones don't have a default set of instructions, they won't do anything. You can Jam without a dedicated Jammer by using your commlink and software, this is in Unwired. Jamming on the Fly p.105 PC EW Skill + Device Signal vs NPC EW + Device Signal + ECCM

The next fastest is to spoof the three slaved drones, this will take the three drones out , but leave the one the Rigger is Jumped into. Spoof can confuse all the drones, but the one the rigger is jumped into will be less likely to stay spoofed since the rigger is jumped in and has a very good chance to notice the spoof.

The next fastest is to kill the rigger quickly.

The fastest sequence involving Hacking is Find the Rigger Commlink, Exploit, Shut it down. While it's shut down, subscribe or spoof the drones.
OR
Find the COmmlink, Exploit, Cybercombat the Rigger, subscribe or spoof drones.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012