Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a BBB-only social adept ASAP.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SpasticTeapot
My GM is running a Shadowrun game, using some sort of hare-brained scheme to have a group of three social adepts do everything. While I think this is not a good idea (a team of one-trick pony means never having a plan B...or escape route), I hope to compensate for adverse conditions with pure munchkinosity. Assuming I stay within the older version of the rules, what sort of character should I be looking at for the greatest number of dice rolled and maximum GM annoyance?

Ability to use pistols and/or thrown weapons a definite plus. Skills in acting and Knowledge: Criminal/Corporate/Security Everything would be spiffy, too.
TheDarkPhoenix
I'd say don't do this to annoy the gm. Look at this as an opportunity to make a unique character who can stand above the other two. With that said, why pistols??? Give him a machine gun...perhaps an uzi, making sure to take some good mods for it. (Such as eliminating all of the recoil). Take adapt powers which will help you with combat and social situations. (Perhaps looking for powers which will help you do both.)

I haven't played an adept before, so I'll have to look at he mainbook for somemore specific recommendations. Also if this is really a bad idea, then no need to annoy the gm, the idea itself will start to annoy him.
Glyph
Here's one quick, rough build. This is assuming you would rather min-max than munchkinize, since you mentioned wanting some pistols ability and appropriate knowledge skills. In other words, it is a build that gives you some decent dice for social skills while still letting you survive in combat. You could squeeze a few more points out by hard-maxing Charisma, getting one maxed-out social skill instead of buying the group, etc., but such tactics are not cost-effective.

[ Spoiler ]

Socially, not bad at all. Charisma plus skill plus kinesics and tailored pheromones gives you 17 dice, and you get more for first encounters, or for using negotiation. And while the character is no sammie, 16 pistols dice with a smartlink, 2 IP, enough Body for decent armor, and 7 dice for passive dodging (and more for full defense) make it possible to survive a firefight.
Muspellsheimr
For pre-SR4A BBB, I would advise:
Elf Adept, Female (it may just be me, but there seems to be far more bi/gay women than men, so you can get better bonus dice this way)
5 ( 4 ) Magic, 6 ( 8 ) Agility, 8 Charisma
4 Kinesics, 4 Critical Strike, Killing Hands, 2 Improved Ability (Social Skill of Choice).
Muscle Toner 2, Tailored Pheromones 3

First Impression

Con 4 (Specialization of Choice)
Negotiation 4 (Specialization of Choice)
Etiquette 4 (Specialization of Choice)
Unarmed 6 (Specialization of Choice)
Dodge 4 (Ranged)
Stealth 4 (Group)
Athletics 1 (Group)
Perception 1+

You should be able to figure out the rest on your own. Consider increasing Magic to 6 (5) if you have spare points; invest in Improved Ability.

If you have access to Street Magic, exchange Unarmed Combat for Throwing Weapons, Critical Strike for Power Throw, Killing Hands for Missile Mastery, & Improved Ability for 0.25 Power of Choice.

If you have access to Runners Companion, add Erased (24 Hour) & SURGE 2 (Glamour) Qualities.

Edit: Forgot about Initiative Enhancement. You could rely on drugs, but I suggest increasing Magic & picking up Synaptic Boosters. You will be tight on points this way, however. Reduce Charisma to compensate.
Neraph
QUOTE (TheDarkPhoenix @ Mar 22 2009, 01:38 AM) *
Look at this as an opportunity to make a unique character who can stand above the other two. With that said, why pistols??? Give him a machine gun...perhaps an uzi, making sure to take some good mods for it. (Such as eliminating all of the recoil).

Actually, Automatics is a much more flexible (second only to Gunnery) weapon skill, encompassing Machine Pistols (most of which can also be SA, with roughly the same size as a pistol), SMGs (for medium-ish range/damage requirements), and Assault Rifles (for longer ranges and more damage).
SpasticTeapot
To explain exactly why I'm so annoyed at my GM, it's a simple issue of railroading. A group with a rigger, decker, street sam, etc. can deal with a problem in many ways. A group with a face, a face, and a face that knows how to drive a bus is limited to one and only one course of action.

QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 22 2009, 02:30 AM) *
Here's one quick, rough build. This is assuming you would rather min-max than munchkinize, since you mentioned wanting some pistols ability and appropriate knowledge skills. In other words, it is a build that gives you some decent dice for social skills while still letting you survive in combat. You could squeeze a few more points out by hard-maxing Charisma, getting one maxed-out social skill instead of buying the group, etc., but such tactics are not cost-effective.

[ Spoiler ]

Thanks much for the awesome character!
I'm wondering, though, if I should use some BP in skills that would allow me to impersonate others, such as knowlege: Yakuza culture or knowlege: Corporate beuracracy.
Falconer
There's no BP limitation on how many of your 400points you can spend on 6/6 contacts :).

Who needs firearms skill group 4... when for 36BP you can have a devoted world class street sam, gun adept, and rigger on your speed dial.

Lessee... fixer, rigger, decker, smuggler, local fuzz/protection, mage(s), meat shields of assorted types (covops, gunbunnies, melee....)

Think of the verizon 'network' commercials :).
Neraph
Don't forget to take a Contact 1/Loyalty 6 Dragon as a contact!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012